1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE449 Ridden Hard review

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Davo449, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Davo449 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    So ive been searching around for reviews on the TE449 but most reviews are of when the bikes are relatively new and hardly ridden.
    Just to start I have had the pleasure of owning my 2011 TE449 for about 10 months now and coming from a racing background I can assure you this bike has been put through hell. I have made many modfications and upgrades and ridden just about every terrain I can think of, so thought I would share my opinion of this bike.
    Modifications and upgrades:
    The 3 piece 2011 rear guard is just plain s#!t. Its flimsy and over time is ugly as hell. Ive put the new 2012 single piece slimmer guard with 2012 inner guard which mounts ALOT stronger. Both these guards bolt straight on with no modifications.
    The magura bars, great bend but relatively weak. Replaced with pro taper contours, pillow top grips.
    The gear lever tip wears very fast so replaced with hammerhead offset tip for size 11 boot. I modified my gear lever for it to fit as i didnt want to use the old spring.
    Its an ugly bike without graphics and annoying to keep clean. Full race graphics kit from Ringmaster Images here in Australia. RHK gold anodized bar ends, Brake and clutch master cover and fork bleeders.
    I've rewired most power/earth wires as they run too close to moving parts for my piece of mind.
    Stomp pad on brake lever is flimsy replaced with bolt on Thumpstar billet end.
    These are a few things that i found should have been standard in the first place.
    I have ridden this bike on very rocky, hard pack dirt, very muddy, gravel, sand (stockton beach). Its been ridden on supercross tracks, enduro X and motorcross tracks.
    Pros:
    The back end of this bike once dialed right with preload compresion and rebound, is incredible. I have never ridden a bike that drives so straight and puts so much power to the ground.
    The smooth power delivery from the engine helps alot in steeper rocky terrains and tight single track. It could be snappier for rock hops and log hops but i heard this can be fixed with a JD tuner and the accelerator pump function(iridium spark plug rids of dreadful flameouts too).
    The ergos can be a little tedious to set up as this bike is very different in how its balanced but once set up right its a very sharp plush ride, I found relatively nimble for the weight.
    Cons:
    WAY too many electrics. A few days of water crossings and muddy terrain sees this bike for a full strip down and clean of every plug and check of every wire. I have had relays go faulty (most electrical problems ive found go back to either a faulty relay or wire earthed).
    Akro dents easily due to no cover. Its an expensive slip on to replace so who wants it dented up?
    I own BMWs as cars and I KNOW its their doing, putting bolts and screws in the most annoying places possible. Eg the gear lever is ridiculous to get off and on as the frame nearly completely covers the bolt. ALOT of time and patience when working on this bike.
    Gearing is hopeless from standard unless going to ride on the road. A 14T or 13T front sprocket does the world of difference.
    Flimsy chain stay near rear sprocket. Who really makes a plastic chain guide? replaced with 2010 TC450 alloy one.
    Bolts come loose, when i bought the bike i heard of this so went over and locktite every bolt known for wiggling loose and yeah still happend so CHECK your bike after every ride.
    Regena chain is S#!T replaced with Renthal R3 chain.
    All in all this bike is incredible and would not hesitate to buy over any other bike of the market again! This is a confidence inspiring bike as its very plush and predictable. Its a heavy bike to throw around a supercross track but thats not what its built for so did very well i thought.
    Bikes ive ridden and raced: 2012 6 days KTM 300 exc, RMZ450, KTM500exc, RM250, 2011 WRF450, 2011 CRF450x
    I would choose the TE449 over any of these bikes. As an enduro bike of course.
    [IMG]
  2. javadog Husqvarna
    A Class

Fitted a hammerhead gear lever tip on mine as well and it adjusts lower which helps gear changes :thumbsup:
  3. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Great write up and very informative input. I am certain your demands of a bike are harder than most, so its good to hear the big wrap you give it. Bike looks great by the way Mate.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Very nice looking bike ... The graphics do it well ... I'd like a set of pillow top grips myself ....
  5. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    My 2 cents on the chain guide .... The alloy guides bend or atleast the trails I hammer on the plastic seem to hold up better when slamming into rocks and don't rip the mounts out of the swing arm.... I run the 13-51t gearing and is a dream on goat trails ! Did you ever feel any strange mechanical bumps on the bike ?
  6. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Jd tuner, full fmf and derestrict the air box . my 449 pulls higher gearing because its got a lot more power then standard. I rode a 2010 300wr on a enduro course sunday to compare power between both bikes. The 449 has noticable more grunt and outright power then the wr.
  7. NewHuskovite Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC449
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 CB750,80 MX175,77 TS185,04 Vegas
    Do the pillow top grips realy help, I am having a problem with my right had going numb. I hate to spend 3 bills on the flex bars.
  8. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    They helped me a lot. Even if you try them and you don't like them... you've only lost 12 bucks. Try 'em! :thumbsup:
  9. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    Didnt help me so much, Im going to try Spiders next. I have the Flexx bars and they did help a bunch but that vibe is stil there.
  10. NewHuskovite Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC449
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 CB750,80 MX175,77 TS185,04 Vegas
    Yeah, thats what I was afraid of with the Flex Bars, it's weird cause its only my right hand. Has anyone tried vibration dampners like for street bikes?
  11. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    Its not weird or maybe we are, my left hand is fine, my right hand goes to sleep pretty quick. Forget road riding, its toast there. I tried the throttle tube and bearing from Uptite, that did nothing to be honest. The dampers may be a good try but it appears you cant run handgaurds with them.
  12. Tessier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
  13. rt3856 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011TE449
    Good write up,
    I have only had mine since Dec, 2011 racing Virginia City Grand Prix In Nevada this week.
    Good to read something that inspires confidence in ones bike.
    So far Bike is great.
    Thanks for mentioning the rear gaurd replacement. The stock 2011 is very bad.
  14. B3NO-511 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Trail/Tard TE511 FX350
    Hey mate, good right up! i got the same graphics on mine.
    Are you havin problems with your gear selector? Mine keeps comin loose no matter how hard i tighten or how much loctite i use. Realy shitting me!
  15. motomanic Husqvarna
    A Class

Hi you mention Air box Derestriction, could you explain this, and its results, with pictures if possible.
  16. twmtatenrost Husqvarna
    A Class

my gear stick goes slack as well. Put a new one on and problem remains- Any solutions anyone???
  17. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Motom, i cut a hole in the air box lid approx 10mm by 70mm, then added a little protection using sump foam. The bike pulls hard higher up the rev range rather then just the revs building, but with not much thrust. Because im greedy and the chassis can handle the extra grunt ive cut another just to see how much more power is in there.

Twm, try cutting a small amount of metal between the gap on the gear lever where the bolt goes through, or file the gap a bit. I will have a look at mine over the weekend.
  18. twmtatenrost Husqvarna
    A Class

thanks spud.
    hudler likes this.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    2500 miles on my TE511, still loving the great do it all beast. Excellent bike IMHO.
  20. Davo449 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    No worries fellas.
    The pillow tops do help but only after hrs and hrs of long hard riding, just helps minimize tingling hands. Other than that not a very noticeable difference. I run the lite grips as i like to feel the bars. Cant say anything on the thicker pillowtops.
    The gear lever is a pain in the ass for me too. Ive cut the pinch gap wider and ran a few different bolts, locktite, even used some thread tape on the spindle and same thing after every ride. The worst bit the bolt is ridiculous to get to.
    I'm biting the bullet and buying a whole hammerhead gear lever so hopefully solves the issues. Ill let yous know when I do and if it helps. Anyone else done this?
    RE: Rearwheelin - good to hear the plastic guide works better for you. I ride some very hard rocky terrain and found the alloy guard hasn't come unstuck yet. It has saved my sprocket a few times actually.
    RE: spud1968 - I have always thought about cutting the airbox for more flow as it seems the filter sits too close to the main duct on top of the radiator. After a long dusty ride only that corner seems to get dirty. I was looking into possibly getting a second duct and mounting it upside down on the other side. To even the airflow a bit more into the airbox. Not too keen on cutting holes as river crossings are common on my rides