1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Te449 - Newbie With Dead Crankshaft And Possible Dead Flywheel

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by beni911, Nov 18, 2018.

1. beni911 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 SD
    Hello everybody,

my name is Ben, I´m coming from Austria and now after almost 20 years asphalt under my wheels I am on the way to my first dirt bike... I had the thought already, until then this year by chance a cheap TE 449 (2012, 3500km) fell into the hands... which needs some “love”.

As said the price brings unfortunately some work with it: the bike did not start with the electric starter, but could be bump-started, then it and ran… and rattled a lot (gearbox is ok). First we thought that there is a problem with the head (no compression), but after disassembling the complete engine it look likes the engine was driven “hot” as we say in German – the piston is scratched, also the cylinder a bit (but looks like can be serviced), and the connecting rod is damaged on both ends… The rest seems to be ok, also the head.

To be done: crankshaft with bearing, cylinder honing, piston,….

So first of all a crankshaft is needed… as I have already read a lot (Café Husky/ FB 449 owners group) the crankshaft is the weak spot of this bike in terms of repair or even getting an replacement for it… L
    So my first question is: has anybody ever repaired a crankshaft? The work could be done by some friends of mine, but where to get spar e rod, bearings for it and the connecting bolt for the crank? Would save a lot of money… If not available, is the complete crankshaft available now?

Second question: removal of the f***g flywheel… The flywheel had something against being removed from the crank, and as in Dangermouse´s video (thanks man, I don´t know how many people benefit from what you have done and documented on your 449, thumbs up!) I had to head it three times to get it down, so the heat damaged the plastic rings between flywheel and magnets. Can I use the flywheel in this condition (see photo)? Would save a lot of money also…

So among others these two questions make the difference a good deal and crying myself into sleep every night… :D

Thanks in advance
    Ben

+DSC_06331.JPG +DSC_06351.JPG +DSC_06451.JPG
  2. beni911 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 SD
    So, crank is disassembled, looks like the conrod passed away... crank looks good. But thats no help, because no conrod is available as far as i know? +DSC_0668.JPG +DSC_0671.JPG
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  3. beni911 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 SD
    The crank pin feels plain without signs of wear...
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I am assuming that you tried the 449/511 facebook group too? I hate to say it, but they're more active.
    Whoops- nvm. I re-read your post.

Keep us updated.
  5. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    You can still get rods, just no crank. I'd check to see if you can source a local shop to rebuild the crank. We have a special mod we do to improve oil flow around the big end, but you'd have to ship it back and forth to the US.
  6. FReQRiDeR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 SMR ITALIAN
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 888 SPO
    Pro-X or Wossner should have the rod and piston too. Just put a Pro-x con-rod and Wossner piston in my ’06 510 SMR. They come with new bearings and con-rod pin.
    Coyote_on_Husky likes this.
  7. aha2070 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    smr 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    duke 200
  8. oneal Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 wr 250 returned home.
    Other Motorcycles: