1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE449/511 Air Filter, What ya running?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Huskynoobee, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    With the way the snorkel works on the airbox, I've honestly only had to clean and refresh the air filter 3 times in almost 1700 miles. However, it's time to start thinking about a replacement now that I'm racing in pretty dusty conditions (if you've been on a bomb run start, you know what I mean). Thinking along racing lines I may also be modifying a used air box lid with TC style holes in it, so that means I'll be doing the deed much more often and will be needing to rotate.

I see that there's quite a few and surely there are those who have their favorite brands. I have found Uni, Twin Air, NoToil, Fast Three, Moose, Athena, and Finna.

What ya like and why?

Thanks, and lets please keep this civilized. I don't think we need an oil thread where people try to out-impress each other.:cheers:
  2. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I have a uni pod filter stuffed over the factory throttle body to airbox elbow. It is secured with zip ties and 2 wraps of duct tape. Why? It gives me a ton more over-rev, and I no longer get any dirt past the airfilter. The stock setup is a pita to seal properly and always had dust/dirt behind the filter. This has worked flawlessly for like 2300 miles of hard riding. When I run on the road I do not use the outerwear, when I run in the dirt I toss a heavily oiled outerwear over the filter.

Just one way to do it. Swap filters in a minute or two. I would like to build a new elbow out of aluminum so I could clamp the filter on a bit better, but so far so good with the zip ties, and duct tape just in case.
    Motosportz likes this.
  3. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    I use the Moose filter on my TC449 and it works great and is holding up better that the OEM.

Paw Paw
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Moose filters I have used are top product.

I use notoil cuz their stuff is easy and I like it / works for me. Filter quality is OK, better than OEM but just slightly.
    Tinken likes this.
  5. domrvt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 CT90, 1982 NU50M
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think perhaps I'll try a Uni and a Moose. That way I can compare and then buy another of the winner for a backup backup. I had not bought a Uni for a looong time and the one I got for the old IT was very nice quality.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had found that old thread domrvt, but decided I would do another for updated information after finding so many available.
  7. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    The Uni Two Stage filter is nice. Way better than stock.
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I use prototype somethings.. I think they are Uni or Moose. Use w/e works for you. Personally, I think the whole air box has issues.
    I use Torco air filter oil, goes on thin like gasoline, evaporates and becomes super tacky. Not sure if they even sell it yet, keep an eye out.
  9. teuchter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC449 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    ZX6R track bike
    So what'd ya suggest we do about the airbox Tinken?
  10. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    +1 for no toil. Too easy to clean up.

I'm running two factory foam elements in rotation.
    If they ever wear out, the D2 filter are well liked over here.

I've never liked the slide together style of the airbox. There's no way to know 100% if it sealed all the way round.
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You have to use a coat of grease around the outer edge of the oem air box lid to get it to seal. Haven't found anything I liked yet, K&N filters leak too much debris past them. Possibly a huge Uni dual stage.
  12. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I use the Notoil grease every time. I'm sure any grease is fine but I bought the whole starter kit a while back and it's nice that the detergent breaks down everything for a nice clean filter.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  13. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Just want to add that again the uni filter over the stock elbow is the best + the outerwear. It never gets dirt past it and is so easy to clean. Just loud and required a bit of tuning.
    Tinken likes this.
  14. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    That sounds great if I was in sumo mode, but I really want to keep the air box set up as is since with proper cleaning and install it's never let me down. I need maximum reliability while I'm getting my race legs back.
  15. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Huskylove's setup is something you might want to look into, but will require a powercommander.
  16. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hell my current set up requires a Power Commander....