1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE310R Headlight Power - AC or DC?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Angus, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Angus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 150 XC, F800GT, S2R1000
    I'm considering the purchase of 3800 Lumen LED headlight for my 310R and trying to determine if I'll need to purchase a rectifier.

Any electrical gurus know if the current to the 310R's headlight is AC or (hopefully) DC?

Thanks!
  2. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    TE310? It has a rectifier and puts out dc.
  3. Angus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good to know, thanks reveille!

Rather than waiting on a reply from the manufacturer I knew I'd get quicker and more knowledgeable answer on Café Husky .
  4. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    its DC, you can do the test with a electronic tester or a osciloscope.. if you put a led light with diferent polarity wires it wont work.
  5. AlwynMike Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 250x, Suzuki GS1000
    Not forgetting that the light stays on with the engine stopped (for a few seconds, anyway).
    Definitely DC.

I looked at HID's and LED's after this winter, having late night runs where the 35 candle-power bulb is awful.

LED's look a good option, but check the size out first - most of them come with big coolers and fans on the back, which are way too big to fit at the back of the headlight.

Philips do a "new" type that cools by means of a number of flexible braids.
    I'm waiting a reply from my supplier to see if they will fit, and if the braids get hot enough to melt the rats-nest of wire that is already behind the headlight.

For the uninitiated, LED's generally don't work from 12 volts, so need a power supply to knock the voltage down. This produces heat, and the required cooler - and even fans for some types.

The HID's I looked at (illegal in the UK) all had large connectors and adaptors on the back, as well as large control boxes for the starter ( ballast).

Mike
  6. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    DDM tuning makes some really nice hid kits for less than $40 US. I have them on my Super Tenere, they are good quality. They may have something you could retro fit on your bike.
  7. Angus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks everyone!

By way of an update I went ahead and ordered a 3800 Lumen H4 LED bulb from Cyclops Adventure Sports (http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html) after receiving a response from Darryl at Cyclops informing me that they had installed a couple of these on some 310R's at a recent race with no problems.

My bulb is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. After installation I will take some OEM vs LED comparison photos and post them here.

Again, thanks for all the great input.