1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Te310r electric start malfunction

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by xliteredhead, May 15, 2018.

1. xliteredhead Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te310 red head
    Hey,
    After engine tear down and reassembly, bike starts fine and runs well. Did a few starts and laps around the driveway, then a half hour run with quite hard riding.
    Stopped the bike to check for leaks etc. With very warm engine, and the e-start is dead.

When i push the e-start, there is only a clicking sound from the solenoid box, connected to the red plus side of the battery. Nothing happening in the starter motor. Fuses in the solenoid relay are fine.

Bike will also not kick start when hot, but after a few minutes cool down it kick starts easily again.

Is this just a random malfunction of the solenoid relay, or does it require more inspection?

Thanks!
  2. DJ Easterby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just the one for now
    I had a similar issue with clicking sound from the solenoid, but happened whether bike was hot or cold. I had all the usual issues cleared, including decomp valve adjustment, starter gear on my 2013 was replaced (some vin's were noted to have a non-hardened or weak starter gear set. For my bike the fix was a new starter, as the commutator in starter was faulty. Was unable to source a commutator to have starter fixed so had to purchase new starter.

That solved the problem for me. I was able to determine I had proper power from batter to solenoid, across solenoid, then from solenoid to starter terminal. You might want to start there. I removed my starter and while in a visa attached a battery to it, nothing. That is how I knew the starter was fried. When I took it to a alternator / generator / starter rebuilding place, he opened up the starter and confirmed the commutator was faulty. I had to google how a starter / commutator works, but once I did it made sense on why the starter was not working or would sometimes turn over 1/2 turn then completely quit. Good luck with your fix.
    xliteredhead likes this.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Check your valve clearance- especially on the left exhaust (ADC is here).

The bike should kickstart easily... independent of the e-start (except for a stuck sprag maybe) so solve that first.
    xliteredhead likes this.
  4. xliteredhead Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te310 red head
    I checked the clearances during reassembly so im absolutely sure they are dead on. I also used to have the problem of too large clearance on the ADC cam, with the bike beeing very hard to kick and estarter not beeing able to turn the engine over without help from kick. That is definately not how it is now :)
    The bike is very easy to kick over hot and cold now, so i know the ADC is doing its job.
    Only problem is that bike wont start when very hot from kicking untill it has cooled down a bit.
    As well as the electric starter either is not getting power, or is broken itself.
    I bought an electric meter today so i will start doing more of things i dont know much about to investigate :)
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    try starting fluid during the hot start to see if you have a fueling problem.

Again, solve the starting problem before the electrical start problem.
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    One problem at a time, especially at this level.
  7. xliteredhead Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te310 red head
    I am actually suspecting a bit of lean running on this thing. I got it with a leo vince TC muffler and no restriction between it and the stock header. No restrictions in the air boot as well. When i coast from high revs on tarmac riding, there is audible popping from the exhaust.

So if starter fluid is helping on hot starts, i probably need a re map, or to put on the stock muffler with the catalytic piece?
    (I have the stock muffler, but no catalytic piece, so it wont fit to the header)
    Man this bike is fun to ride, but one big head ache! Lol
  8. Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 TXC 310R
    my e-start went out one day out of the blue pretty much tried pretty much everything. So I took the starter off and took it apart and the spool inside was coming apart and brushes heavily worn. So I just blocked it off and ran kick only. I recently found a new (used) starter on ebay and bought it and put it on and works like it was brand new.
  9. xliteredhead Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te310 red head
    i just had a flat battery. Somehow, the voltage was 12,7+ but when pulling some aps it would drop way down. I know a lot more about batteries now.
  10. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    Plates become unsecure and cause a short when they move under a load.
    That is what happens to most bike batteries on the market today with all the vibrations of the bike.
    Only the new LI batteries will really stand up to all the vibrations of a bike.

Paw Paw
    xliteredhead likes this.