1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE310 stalls when hot

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Huskyyyyy, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Huskyyyyy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    TT350 1994
    My TE310 2009 model, with only 2900km's on it, stalls and bogs when hot. It will run fine, then seems to stall when I try to keep it alive, with more throttle. I also still have a problem of trying to get the bike to idle, even though I have cleaned the injector, replaced the intake manifold, and cleaned/re-oiled the air filter. Could it be getting hot and the valve clearances are tightening up, not allowing enough fuel to get into the cylinder and escape? My new spark plug also has also developed carbon deposits only after a ride or two.
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Does it run a bit better when cold? It could be a failing coolant temperature sensor (CTS). The spark plug is hinting at this.

(btw, I really doubt it's your valves)

Other intermittent heat-related electrical failures to consider are the trigger coil and ignition coil- both can get weird when warm. The spark plug could get fouled by these 2 conditions also.
  3. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    8 year old bike with 1800 miles on it, probably the fuel pump is varnished up, and when hot, the pump expands and stops spinning.
  4. Cyclic Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250
    My vote would be for fuel pump - heat related, my 2010 exhibited some issues like yours, swapped fuel pump it fixed it. when it stalls and you turn on ignition dies the fuel pump prime?
  5. Huskyyyyy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    TT350 1994
    Yes when it stalls, the bike will start back up right away, I will take it to a Husqvarna dealer to get them to use iBeat.
  6. MFGamesta Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    S1000R, Beta 500 RR-S
    I had a similar issue with my 2008 TE250. The problem ended up being the coil. Couldn't find an '08 coil so I used the '09 one. Once the coil was replaced, it ran great. I got one from Jetworld Powersports for 44 bucks plus shipping. They have never failed to get the parts I need for my '08 and '13 Huskys... except for the '08 coil.

I did have to let it cool down a bit before it would fire back up though.
    R_Little likes this.
  7. Huskyyyyy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    TT350 1994
    Turns out all of my idling and running problems came from a mushroomed valve and worn piston rings. Just gotten the bike back now and it idles and runs perfectly!!!
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I guess the lesson there is that a tune-up is not going to help a bike that needs a rebuild.

OTOH, what's going on where you practically need a complete upper-end on a bike with only 1800miles- did you run it out of oil? Those big block motors have a pretty good rep for being tough.

(And the black spark plug would've been from the bad rings)

I wonder if bad coolant flow started your troubles. And I just thought of this- make sure you have oil flow to the upper end. even after the rebuild... at least look for oil in the top of the head.

Congratulations and thanks for coming back with the report.
  9. Huskyyyyy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    TT350 1994
    Thanks, i'm glad too that it's now running. So I bought the bike with the issue. The mechanic at Husqvarna said that the engine had been 'dusted' causing excessive wear to the rings and valve, most likely from poor air-filter maintenance. Now one other issue i'm having is that when the bike gets hot, I am having trouble getting the bike into neutral. It will shift fine throughout all the gears when hot, but I cannot get it into neutral no matter how carefully I try. When the bike is cold and has only been run for 10/15 mins, it will easily slip into neutral. Once I turn the bike off and let it cool for a couple of minutes I can then also get it back into neutral. The mechanic at Husqvarna did say that a seal near my clutch lever was leaking and I was wondering if this had anything to do with the issue?
    Thanks
  10. MFGamesta Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    S1000R, Beta 500 RR-S
    Most performance dirt bikes are designed to "skip" neutral during shifting. Don't want to hit neutral when riding hard.
  11. Shane_79 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 Te 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Drz 250
    I had flameout issues and found it was the fuel injection electronic module. Very expensive to replace but no more flame outside.
  12. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    wait... was this the solution in your other thread? an ECU replacement??

I thought your shop installed a new TPS/M.A.Q.S. on the throttle body; or even a new throttle body (because I think the Mikuni TBs were funny this way?). what's you bill say? or even better: did you get any of your old parts back? (always a good policy)
  13. Shane_79 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 Te 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Drz 250
    They replaced the complete throttle body unit. I did get old one back, which I will look over one day.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.