1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE310 - difference between 2011 and 2013 model year

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by DRCA, Nov 30, 2016.

1. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR650R/Scorpa SY250F/Gas Gas TXT Pro
    I'll make a long story short":

I currently have in California a 2011 TE310 with the ECU and 12 pt injector upgrade. I love the bike.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2013 TE310 with 600 miles (900 km) on the odometer, that looks pretty much new. The bike is in France (near Mende / Brioude for those who follow the enduro circuit there) where our family home and would replace a WR450F that is definitively too much bike for the type of riding I do there.

I wanted to know if someone with knowledge of the TE310 could run me through the differences between the two model year (the 2011 has a black head, the 2013 has a red head, I think that the 2013 has a different injection system, but beyond that...).

Also, my 2011 stock (well with all the pollution control stuff removed) ran like crap (very very lean). With the ECU upgrade, it's just fantastic! What the 2013 stock like?

Thanks.
  2. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    TE model in the USA was all choked up and you would be lucky to not have it stall at any and all stops, so a few things are needed. Not sure how the French TE are set up if vastly different from the US. Otherwise the differences are from Mikuni to Keihin FI and a BMW designed head. To PU requires replacing the stock solid air filter cage with the open frame from the tcx. Also removing the perforated obstruction from the velocity stack or replace with open. Flash to Map 2 or 3 (most just do Map 3). O2 sensor can stay or go once flashed as not used. Remove cat from pipe. Another issue if stock and low miles is if the starter gears were replaced under warranty and to try and find out since it had been an issue for some bikes. Should be a VIN database to tell by a dealer. With a low mile stock bike it may never have been checked. Also the decompressor adjustment may be off causing the kick start to be very stiff. It may require a valve adjust to make sure the decomp is working well. Or it may be OK. Both of these can kill starters so worth sorting quickly. That's basically it. My '13 has been bomb proof for 4k of dirt miles.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    couple of other (minor) differences: the '13 should be "keyless", KYB suspension on both ends ('11?), stick coil, Karoo's are now Michelin's, no hot start lever, wiring harness

....pretty much the same bike though.

enjoy.
  4. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok... my brother is going to pick the bike up tonight... Looks super clean, 900 km! Serial number is 269 so from what I have been able to search it's not on any recall list, but I'll get the local dealer t double check.

Now... a few more questions:

• On my 2011, I built myself a cable and downloaded the Mikuni software. I played with the various parameters until I got the TXC ECU which solved all my problems. Is there an equivalent for the Kehin ECU? Is the cable the same? is the software available?

• For the ECU maps, is that something I can do myself (once I have the cable / software - see question above)?

• By "stick coil" I assume you mean that the ignition coil is integrated into the spark boot. Can anyone confirm?

That's about it for now ;-)
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I do not know how similar the 310r ECU is to the 449/511 but those guys have pretty much got it figured out ("jailbreak"); or at least are close. I kinda hope that the ECUs are similar enough to have some crossover- but I have a feeling us 310r owners are out of luck.

pretty sure you're gonna have to go to a dealer. For some reason, TE250/310r's ECU have to be on the bike to reprogram (live sensors I'm guessing)... and dealers with this capability (BMW?) are getting scarce. ZipTy Racing might be able to do something with your ECU only but contact them first.

Fantastic hp once you have the right map. The piggyback tuners (JD, PC5) have had great success too.

yep.
  6. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:

Thanks for the info. So looks like it's a forget it as far as doing the ECU maps myself. What's the big difference / advantages of the various maps (stock vs #2, #3)?
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    horsepower. a lot more. (fuel mileage: a bit less)