1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE v. TXC -- is Fuel Injection worth it?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by boisedave, Dec 17, 2008.

1. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey fellas -- Just curious as to your thoughts on this issue. A little background: From reading the magazines and talking to some folks, it seems this fuel injected thing is here to stay. Better throttle response, no more jetting hassles [just some remaping maybe], etc.. The magizines suggest that FI bikes are just that much better. Seems to be backed up by folks I talk to -- people swear the new Husaberg FI motor is fantastic too.

Now -- everybody loves the TXC as a woods/desert weapon and racer. Question is -- is the TE [with FI] better? Logic would dictate that you could buy a TE [and get the benefits of the FI] and simply upgrade the suspension a bit to get a TXC with FI. Seems to easy to me. What am I missing? Is the TE too "detuned" to make an effective racer. Just seems like the FI might be the way to go.

A recent issue of Dirt Bike had an article where they rode the bikes in Italy. They made the comment that they thought the TE ran a bit better than the TXC and they attributed that to the FI. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

My motivation comes from the fact that I know way more about 2-stroke jetting than 4-stroke jetting. Seems to me FI solves my problem by removing jetting from the equation. Thanks. Dave
  2. Chris M Husqvarna
    B Class

There are some other differeneces between TE & TXC besides suspension & fuel distribution. Namely the TXC also has the TC Top End, and Frame (Ie: More Aggresive Fork Rake)
  3. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dumb question here but does the TC have a different top end than a TE. I have always believed it was but someone somewhere said something about it. Too many fumes in the garage.
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    boisedave- I went through the same debate with myself when I got my TE.
    I've had a few problems with my bike that others seem to have not encountered, but I'm getting them worked out. Without those issues I've been totally happy with my TE. When it comes down to pure racing I'd probable be better off if I went with the TXC.

But, I don't think there's enough difference in the bikes to make it that big a deal.

If you, like me, want to be able to go out on the road and go from one riding area to another without anybody giving you any crap, yet you want a bike that is still very raceable, go with the TE.

If you are totally focused on racing, go with the TXC.

But, if you really want EFI, don't sweat it. The TE is a good race bike with the "kit" installed. Even if you have to do a little FI tuning.
  5. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Motorhead. Anybody else with any thoughts?
  6. GoFaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

My 05 KTM 450 still has jetting / bog issues to this day. My 08 TE510 reacts as expected every time. The 05 is a great bike and great motor, but after the TE I'm done with carbs. Except maybe a finely tuned 200exc. After XMass I will have my bike Dyno'ed and dialed in with the Power Commander. After that, I think I can call it done.
  7. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I well have to go along with that. Even if it may not be set spot-on, it seems to stay very consistent. However it ran the last time you rode it, it will run the same next time. :thumbsup:
  8. Chris M Husqvarna
    B Class

TXC = GNCC Race Bike
    TE = Plated Dirt Bike

FWIW - I went with the TE over the TXC mostly because I needed a plate in California.
    Both bikes rip, the TXC is just a bit better out on the racecourse. Both bikes will need the suspension dialed in for your size, so that's a given. The TE is going to be a little more forgiving than the TXC. Can't go wrong with either bike, just depends on what your purpose & goals are.
  9. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Motorhead- when I concider TE versus TCX, I think of you and your FI experiences. I have had no issues with the Keihin FCR that I haven't been able to resolve and my bikes do everything I expect them to do. I don't ride varried elevations that require rejetting so that's never an issue. So its hard to accept FI as perfect - from the perspecive of "if it ain't broke".

My concern is I can't rejet a FI- I need a Ibeat and probably a power comander to do things I don't have a grasp of (and probably shouldn't need- if its set up right in the first place and self adjusts- as many assume they do). One of the nearest Husky dealers to me don't even have the Ibeat- they said they don't need it cause no one has claimed to have a problem.... Well, as I think Motorhead would scream- "that's a matter of perspective and what you put the bike through and you expect it to do". While some FI owners have not had any issues- at all... some may have lower expectations and some may very well have a "perfect system".

So I question how much I want to go into FI- learning and investing into new tech... but its probably soon to replace carbs altogether anyway... so I go back and forth on the fence.....

The rest of the bike- TE versus TXC- I think as Stated earlier- if you are more race orientated- get the TCX, its going to allow you to ride more aggressively to a degree- The TE is slightly more Restricted in terms of set up- suspension and geometry- power band. However that difference is slight, accept for possibly the front forks and the fork offset.

AGAIN, this is my confusion/ understanding- only based on reading (too much probably)- I don't have a husky yet either- but I think the TE/TXC 450 is my next bike...
  10. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    oh yea- this seams like the appropriate thread for it- my brother was psyched on bying a husky until he read (in a husky forum) that they feel way heavier than a KTM EXC and are heavier by 20 lbs... He was concerned about the feels heavier part cause Ktms' feel lighter than they are.... I told him 07'-08' made a big difference. But again I also asume that the TXC carries its weight lower (until you take off all the extra lighting and such)

so how about that- do TXC's feel alot lighter than a TE- like I assume...

I was thinking of buying a txc and going out of state to get it plated after I put some lighing on it... (that' my half witted solution to this comparison)
  11. Chris M Husqvarna
    B Class

Thats weird. All my friends on KTM 450EXC's & 525EXC's say may TE510 feels way lighter to them. I guess they are smart after all, even though they bought the wrong bikes, lol.
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    HUSKYnXJnWI- Yes, I had / have some problems with "MY" bike, as stated, but I've got a handle on everything now and hope to have it a race worthy machine. It's been a great dual sport once I got the POWER COMMANDER on it and feed it some fuel. Now I have total control over the fuel map and feel like I make it do whatever I want.

The most upsetting thing about it all was that I seemed to be the only one having issues and I wasn't sure what was going on. Once I thought I had that right, the fuel pump came loose and caused another problem.

I was very happy with the way it ran at the SWR Loretta Lynn Fall ride and at the last few races.

I do have a starting issue that I think I've got figured out, with the help of some of these guys. If I have that fixed I'll be really happy and may even start winning a few races again.

Yeah, I've had a hard time with my TE. I seem to have had several of the little glitches that few guys have had and all in one bike. Couple that with not having a dealer within 250 miles and I've had to go to school on the Husky.

I've also had a air a lot of my "dirty laundry" on these forums, because these problems haven't been the easiest to troubleshoot. Their were even a few guys who had me doubting my sanity.

Yeah, I probable should have got a TXC, because I really wanted a race bike, foremost.