TE 630 Will Not Start

Discussion in '610/630' started by Rob578, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    This has been kicking my butt.

Bike died last weekend after a gas stop midway through a 125 mile DS ride.

It ran about a 100 yds from the gas station and quit, like it ran out of fuel. No clanging parts or anything.
    I had only put about a gallon of fuel in it and other riders in line in front had no problems with the fuel.

So Far:
    Engine will fire and start with starting fluid but dies quickly.

Fuel Pump Runs
    Removed Pump assembly, strainer is clean and filter doesn't appear clogged.
    Hooked up pressure tester, 40 psi initially, jumps to 70 psi on the second key bump.

Pulled the injector, 12.2 ohms across the leads.
    Turned the motor over and the injector sprays a fine mist, seems ok but I have no idea what it should look like volume wise.

Even pulled the spark arrestor to make sure the screen was clear.

The neutral light isn't flashing so there doesn't appear to be an ECU fault.

I have downloaded a copy of iBeat and have the parts to make a cable but I don't see that helping this situation.

Bike only has 2500 miles and never had any issue with it before.

I'm baffled.

I'm going to cross post this on ADVRider since a lot of the Cafehusky riders have moved over there.
  2. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Elefant, husaberg fe501
    Check earth connections carefully,including wire ends near starter attachment point where battery earth connects to wiring earth.

Edit,ibeat might help,you could see if there is something weird going on,like temp difference from normal or voltage difference from measured. Bad earth showed random value spikes everywhere when i finally got engine running.
  3. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    10-4 thanks I'll look at thos
  4. Ungarisch Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM510R, 2007 SM610, 2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Z1000
    the fuelpump on my TE630 died at 900 miles. It's not uncommon. Mine acted weird where it would turn on in certain temperature ranges but not in others. Like in the cold morning it would fire, but when the temps got above 70*F, it would not spin up.

I bought an aftermarket pump off ebay for $75 and hadn't had an issue since.
  5. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    kinda what i was thinking, change the filter and the pump and go from there
  6. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Problem solved! Turns out it was the fuel pump.
    In the hopes this might help someone with the same problem, here's the process I went through.

Sourced this fuel pressure gauge from Summit Racing.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/anm-cp7838. I hoped with all the adapters that I could make it work.

No luck on that, I had to order a 5/16 to AN6 Quick Disconnect and a AN6 to AN3 Adapter. I found these on Amazon.

At the same time I wanted to see what was going on with the ECU, to do that I needed a laptop running WIN XP. I actually had one with a clean copy of XP. IBeat will not run on a WIN 10 machine.
    I downloaded IBeat from a Russian server (crossed my fingers) I forget the link but it will show up in Google and ordered the cables from
    https://www.lonelec.co.uk/ I had to try a couple of different drivers to get it OBD cable to work. Message me if you need the version i used.

While I was still waiting on all my fuel pressure gauge fittings I got IBeat up and running and all the sensors looked fine and no faults other than the ones I had thrown by unhooking and checking the injector.
    I initially tried using an OBD II cable and a homemade adapter but I could never get it to communicate with the laptop.

Got my fuel pressure gauge put together and tested the fuel pump. It would generate about 8psi, that's one of the things that threw me off. Apparently that's enough pressure to spray from the injector if you pull it out so visually it looks like it's working.

Ordered a fuel pump kit from
    https://www.highflowfuel.com/?gclid...66pwHkqrxdiwACDyXlO9JcCR1rhCR0iRoCW-YQAvD_BwE.
    This comes with pump, filter, pressure relief valve and multiple strainers.

Quantum ships fast, I had it in a couple of days.

Bolted everything together and the bike fired right up.

I'm a dirt bike EFI newbie, never had any EFI issues on my street bikes so this was a learning experience for me.
    Lessons learned.
    Don't assume because the fuel pump runs it's working, if you can hear the fuel pump running from sitting on the bike I'd recommend ordering another one right away. The new fuel pump is nearly silent.

Don't waste your time digging into into the electronics without have iBeat working. It's a waste of time. Get ibeat going and save yourself some frustration.

There aren't a lot of people that know anything about these bikes, information is tough to come by and you can spend hours going down rabbit hole forum posts. Most of the old dealers have sold all their old equipment and parts to Hall's Cycle and Hall's is making these parts up 2X over MSRP.
    If you have one of these bikes and intend to keep it, download the Service Manual, put together a fuel pressure tester and above all, put together a working iBeat solution.
  7. pr111 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks - that's really useful information!
    I tried your fuel pump link but it just goes to the main page. Which fuel pump kit did you order?
    And just curious - did you try running the iBeat software under Win 10, compatibility mode? There's no way I'm ever going to find a copy of Win XP. I suppose I could try it myself.
  8. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Quantum Fuel Systems vehicle selector has the 630 in their database, just put in the info and it will give all the various kits. The fuel filter looks like it doesn't but just cut off one end right below the plastic barb and it works fine.

I don't think you can get iBeat to work on Win 10 in any mode. There's several threads about how to make it work using VMware and running a virtual machine but I had an old laptop so I didn't try any of that.
    You can probably find an old laptop on ebay for not very much but if you want to borrow mine we can figure something out.