Te 630 shifting problems at 1275 miles

Discussion in '610/630' started by Scott Eldredge, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F850 GSA. Gas Gas Txt 300
    I got this bike with 600 miles on it. Shifting was ok but not like a Japanese bike. Would occasionally not shift into the next gear without repeating or downshifting and coming up again. Finding neutral has always been a treasure hunt. Has 1275 miles now and has gotten worse to point that today a number of times it would not upshift from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4. I had to stop a couple of times and then start up again. Eventually it would shift and I made it home. Bike hasn't been ridden hard; it's barely broken in.

Is there anything I can check or do short without removing the engine or paying lots of $$ ?
  2. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Neutral takes some practice but mine has about 13000 km and is one of the slickest shifting bikes I have driven. You can check if gear selector is binding and not returning to it's center position. Just get the rear wheel off the ground and shift gears up and down while turning the wheel. The gear selector mechanism can be accessed after pulling off the clutch cover if any binding is detected. You could try a different oil but I don't think it will make any difference if sticking is excessive.
  3. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks. I was going to go this morning and put it up and mess around to see what I might learn. When the bike shifts, it's slick. When it doesn't, the lever goes up and nothing happens. Nothing is engaged. Is it possible to lean this bike over and remove the clutch cover without having to drain the oil? (On my gas Gas, you can lay the bike over to work inside the clutch side without having to drain the oil.)

On the stand, it shifts fine up and down the gears. Clutch fluid level the same as when I just recently changed it.
  4. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Yes
  5. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Elefant, husaberg fe501
    Maybe this is too late,but be careful with oil pump sliding out of its place if bike is very leaned when
    removing clutch cover. I would not do it that way... Draining oil is easier than putting oil pump parts back. It may not happen everytime,but there is a risk.
  6. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the warning! Not too late; I haven't gotten to point of removing clutch cover yet. After it ran well on the stand, I adjusted the clutch lever and chain (because those were the only relevant things I could adjust) and went for a ride. The bike shifted perfectly, although I did take pains to shift methodically. When I got back I changed the oil to see if there were any particles or metal pieces in it, and it was the cleanest oil I've seen. I'll ride it again today and see what happens.

I removed the clutch cover when I got the bike to check the filter screen. The procedure in the manual made no mention of the oil pump. Is it sliding out just a possibility with the bike so tipped over?
  7. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well,i should have said oil pump shaft,not whole pump. But no,if bike is resting in sidestand it normally does not slide out.
    Just dont put cover gasket side down on table.
  8. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks.

You have a nice selection of bikes.
  9. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    ;) thanks,for some reason i keep only those slightly rare bikes...
  10. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    What year/model Elefant do you have?
  11. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    -87 750 monofaro. Not many around. Now it has 900cc engine,since original transmission broke and it was easier to update whole engine than find original gears
  12. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'll look it up. I read about the Elefant a while back and found it interesting. I understand that sort of repair.
  13. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gear selector isn't binding. It returns to center. In upshifting from 2 to 3 it sometimes doesn't engage anything. Just moves up to its limit and stops. Never a problem on downshifts. Is there anything that can be checked/adjusted once the clutch cover is removed related to the gear selector mechanism?
  14. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
  15. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks. That would be nice, in that it can be accessed without pulling the engine. And it appears to be something I could get in to take a look at. I thought the spring (4) might be the issue, but didn't seem likely it would be a problem from new, and it feels normal, as much as I can tell without another bike to compare it to.
  16. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Once you get the clutch cover off you can observe the shift drum action as you move the gear lever up and down. See if you can replicate the problem and identify what is causing it.
    Good Luck!
  17. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Curious. Did you find the problem?
  18. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not yet, but I have a workaround. I found if after shifting, put my foot under the lever and raise it gently and slowly a short distance (not until it stops) and then lower it and repeat, the first, second or third time I do this I will feel a very slight stop, indicating that the transmission will now shift into the next gear. It's becoming second nature. With this muscle memory, I can now take up tap dancing. I'm hoping whatever the issue is will work itself out. Shifting into neutral was very difficult when the bike was new, but now (1500 miles), it has become easy (best before coming to a complete stop).
  19. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    That does not sound right. I would check that you dont have anything loose inside,shift drum star stop or whatever its called (that steel plate part in previous link) is attached with two screws,if its loose its behaving like that,and it will not tighten by itself... Bent shift fork wont drop inside engine,but loose screw could do some serious damage. Bent fork probably wouldnt mind how much you play with shifter.
  20. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's not right, but it's ridable. When I described my issue to the dealer, he just said it could be a lot of things, woldn't say if there was anything I could check. Wasn't much help, and he's 105 miles away. Are you talking about the plate next to the sprocket in the diagram, parts 12 and 14? Easy to get at?

Attached Files: