TE 630 Overland Project

Discussion in '610/630' started by Scott Brady, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Scott Brady Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950, Ural Gear Up
    Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to Huskys, having just purchased a lightly used 2011 TE 630 with only 1,200 miles.

I have been running big adventure bikes for years, even riding a KTM 950 Adventure S over the Trans-America trail and generally exploring places I should be with 1200GSs and Super Ténérés. However, I like the idea of exploring even more remote and technical routes, and even the hundreds of miles of single track new my house in Prescott.

A box of parts showed up, including a skid plate, fuel tank, hand guards, wider pegs and new levers (which is how I found this forum to begin with). The installation starts this weekend and I will post some pictures of the progress.

One item I haven't found is a rally windscreen or front body kit. I would really like to get a tall windscreen for the longer road segments, but I would prefer it look the part, and not just be a huge chunk of lexan. Any suggestions for a good looking rally fairing?

Here is the bike:
    [IMG]
  2. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

3. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC
    +1 on the Lynx.

The windscreen is adjustable via two thumbscrews and goes up for highway and down for dirt.

This is "Up"

[IMG]

This is "Down"

[IMG]
  4. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Btw, that's an interesting seat you have. I don't remember the stock seat being "scooped" like that.
  5. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Nice bike Mister. Happy riding and have fun blinging her to your hearts content.
  6. Scott Brady Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950, Ural Gear Up
    I think it is just a factory low seat. The bike came that way and it seems reasonably comfortable for a dirt-biased dual sport.
  7. Scott Brady Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950, Ural Gear Up
    Good feedback on the Lynx too. I think that might be the way to go, and the HID lighting looks to be a major upgrade. I also like the option for Hella and USB outputs wired and installed.

Spending the day tomorrow bolting on some goodies. The ASV levers showed up today too- thanks to this forum for the suggestion.
  8. Scott Brady Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950, Ural Gear Up
    I went out and shot a few images of the bike in stock form - last day as a farkle-free stocker :)
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  9. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    So THAT'S what my bike used to look like!
  10. Scott Brady Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950, Ural Gear Up
    Is this in Copper Canyon with the AZ GS boys?
    [IMG]
  11. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    That Lynx looks great. Been looking around for something like that and hadn't found it!

I hope this doesn't hijack your thread too much, but the question is in the same vein; can anyone suggest some good folding mirrors that have proven to be quality units that don't have excessive play in them when clamped up?
  12. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Highwaydirtbikes have an excellent folding mirror option that comes with a whole handguard system which is about the sickest thing you've ever seen :D
    http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com
    jtemple likes this.
  13. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Here they are installed on a 630:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I'll also mention that they replaced all of the parts I damaged when I went asphalt surfing nearly free of charge.
  14. Scott Brady Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950, Ural Gear Up
    Wow, that HDB stuff is impressive. I like the power outlet position, and protected switch recess.
  15. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Yah, the switches are cool. I have a garage door opener hard wired into mine. :)
  16. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:

It's actually in Norcal, one of the local Adv training days. Lots of guys on GS's come out, and I got to help pick up a bunch of 'em after the guys drop these pigs out on the trail :doh:
  17. Scott Brady Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950, Ural Gear Up
    The modification process is coming along. One of the most annoying ergonomics of the 630 is the height of the pegs and the close proximity to the shifter and brake lever. As a result, I swapped the mounts from side to side and flipped the pegs over. Back over an inch and down over an inch. With a size 13 boot and at 6'1", I can stand up comfortably now. Nearly as comfortable as my 950, which I invested a lot more time and money into setting up the standing ergos. The big problem this created was with the kick stand, so I am welding on a new mount and moving the kick stand back about an inch. I might also make a new kick stand while I am at it - the factory unit is questionable at best, and I want to be able to mount the bike via the peg with full luggage.

I also purchased a new Kush rear sprocket in 41T to drop the gearing a bit and hopefully save wear and tear on the drivetrain.

One question I do have. What is the current best practice for reinforcing the rear subframe to take the load of basic camping gear?
  18. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Don't know if this is best but it works for me.
    [IMG]

Handles this load no worries[swag and gear for 1 week]
    after that ride a had snapped subframe bolt but the subframe held up no worries

[IMG]
  19. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S

41T? Did you mean to go taller than stock gearing? Most are going 45 or 48.

20. Scott Brady Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950, Ural Gear Up
    You are correct. I forgot to include the important detail of changing the front sprocket too, for lower gearing overall.

The stock rear is 42, the Kush is 41. I am going to a 14T front to drop the gearing for better control and compression braking in the dirt.