te 610 vs 630

Discussion in '610/630' started by grumpyman, Aug 28, 2014.

1. grumpyman Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    looking at tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    hey people i am thinking of getting a te610-630 later model on the 610 the red/white f/i one
    i have read a most of the few reviews found online and what i think i know is 630 better engine worse/less adjustable suspension? and both 6spd tranny
    i would like the bike to be decent offroad but be able to commute every now and then

any thoughts??
    looking at an ad for a nice 610 in oregon it looks like the common f/i issues can be fixed on that model can this be done on the 630??
    and i guess you have to do subframe strengthening on both to get any weight on back

thanx
  2. flyingfox Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMWK1300S
    I own and love my '09 TE610ie and have briefly test ridden a TE 630. I'm a middle aged rider who has ridden for 30 years on the dirt and about 15 years on the road. I have owned Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda dirt bikes from 175cc to 400cc, now the Husky 610. 90% of my Husky riding might best be described as 50/50 because its 100 kms to where we ride off road, IMHO I could see no real advantage for me to buy the 630 over the 610. Both are awesome but I settled on the 610 as the bike I bought was modified exactly as I would wanted, it was also about $1,500 cheaper than a comparable second hand 630 at the time. Technically there are probably improvements on the 630 that I can't properly describe over the 610, but if you want the sweatiest Thumper engine on the market, the easiest ergonomics and handling and a bike you can toss around on the trails and even single track you can't beat the TE610ie. I'm simply in love with this awesome little excitement machine. I'm unaware of your riding style and intentions, perhaps you are a super aggressive moto X rider or long distance Adventure rider and perhaps there are better choices out there but if you want a weekend or three day recreational off road excitement machine you can't go past the 610.
    Blazes, jimmyc and JonXX like this.
  3. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    It really depends on your needs and preferences. A few more differences:

* 630 is heavier (331 lbs dry weight vs 309 lbs).
    * 630 has twin exhaust, (its cheaper to customize the 610 single exhaust).
    * 630 has hydraulic clutch (610 cable clutch is not something you can feather with one finger!)
    * 630 has brighter headlight.
    * 630 cam chain needs less servicing (610 cam chain needs checking every 6k-10k miles).
    * 630 costs more.

If you plan on a lot of highway miles, the longer service interval of the 630 is a plus. If you spend a lot of time on dirt, the lighter weight of the 610 is a plus. For me, the weight and price led me to the 610 and Ive been very happy. I do envy the clutch and headlamp of the 630 though.

One more thing - if you plan on putting a safari tank on the bike, go for the 630. The fuel pump mounting of the 630 is higher up and less prone to leaking (my 610 safari tank fuel pump leaks regularly...).
  4. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    There is a spotless 630 on ADVrider right now for sale in NC, or SC
  5. grumpyman Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    looking at tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thanx guys
    i am currently using a ktm 640a for what i would be using the te for but the extreme height and top heavyness i feel is going to be an issue in the dirt as well as only a 5spd tranny which requires carrying around an extra f/sprocket to hit more hardcore dirt

is the suspension on the 630 as good even though it has less adjustability than the 610 or is that upgradable by a decent suspension guy??
    i.e. they are both cartridge front/rear
    i do believe they simplified it more on the 650's
  6. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Many of the 610s came with a low grade cam chain and once replaced (an afternoons work) last a very long time. Jon XX got a crazy number- 30,000 + miles out of his 610 replacement chain. My friends at BMP tell me that once replaced they last and last. No repeat customers.
    They are both great bikes but need a cushioned rear hub if ridden on the hard pack very much. IMO
    A very good (think best) DS transmission ratios in the 610/630 bikes.
    After that it comes down to the fuel injection debate.
    Do a search, but I love my Lectron carbed, 5gal IMS tanked 07 TE610.
    And yeah. if you are going to load either the 610 or 630 up you will need to beef up the sub frame.
    There is not a bad choice here:)
    JonXX likes this.
  7. grumpyman Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    looking at tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    once again thanx guys
    i put a rad mfg cush hub on my xr600
    and i would guess you can add an aftermkt hydraulic clutch kit possibly, on my other ktm's i have found a booster lever that adds more power to your finger making shifting easier.... their website is http://www.midwestme.com/ its mostly for katooms but i might try to add it to a hydraulic clutch kit or add an asv lever as that really helps .... anyway if you know someone who is lusting after the 640 adv send them my way please.
    oh and off topic but have any of you checked out "riding social"??? it is a website that allows you to use the awsome butler maps and build rides that you can download to your gps.... i have been using it to build rides while i am laid up with salmonella poisoning as it's about all i can do some days
  8. JoiseyJanet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I believe the later model 610 fi bikes might have less adjustability on the forks, as well.

The 630 has super-easy shim-over-bucket valve adjustments.

I've got my low mileage, fully-farkled (including Rad cush hub and Woody Wheel spokes) 630 for sale on the classifieds.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2011-husky-te630-nj.44517/
  9. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    For harder-core dirtiness the 610 is narrower and more flickable. Conversely the 630's fatness will be more comfortable (for some - not me) for the longer road stretches. 610 has adjustable rockers, you need a couple wrenches, a screwdriver, a feeler gauge and an hour. I'm sure there's a schedule for checking them, I adjust them when they start making noise. 630 is shim and bucket valve adjustment, you need a couple wrenches, a feeler gauge, a note pad, a calculator, a shim kit and a couple or more hours. 07 and earlier (carbed) 610 has fully adjustable suspension (preload,rebound and compression on the fork, high and low speed R&C on the shock as well as the spring for preload), 08 and up (FI) 610, and 630 has less adjustable suspension (rebound or compression only, on the fork - I forget which). 610 (570) engine design is old, relatively unchanged for many years, and well proven. 630 engine...Isn't. Trying to be fair in comparison but I can't help but be biased, I got 53k miles on my 07 SM610 before repowering (the impetus for teardown being that the countershaft splines were beat stupid).

Oh and if you do choose 610, the clutch pull isn't that big of a deal. Don't be tempted by the easy-pull ARC Lever for it, you'll never get neutral while stopped and you'll get a lot of "jump" going from neutral to in-gear.
    Blazes likes this.
  10. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I love my 630, but never tried a 610.
    As far as I know, the only difference in 610 and 630 suspension would be the travel of the front fork (1" less on the 630) and the lack of compression adjusters on the 630. The compression adjusters from the 07 610 can be added to the 630 forks however.
    The 630 is great on the road, with stock gearing it will cruise at 130 km/h all day long. Could use a tooth smaller sprocket on the front for woods work though.
  11. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I heard quite a few reports of head shake on the 630s when they first came out, more than I ever recall regarding 610s. It turned out that the 630 steering head angle is different.
    My 610s have never given a hint of it. Maybe just a coincidence?
  12. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    630 uses a unique and ingenius shim and bucket design. Just as fast as adjustable screw type valve tappets.

_
    JonXX likes this.
  13. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

For what its worth my 630 had 6000 miles and still did not require any adjustment.
  14. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    We must have been doing it wrong...Which wouldn't surprise me!
  15. grumpyman Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    looking at tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thanks for all the replies
    now i just need to sell my current d/s