1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 450 power - Power commander ?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by rockdancer, Apr 4, 2018.

1. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Hi guys and gals
    2010 TE450. I believe its been uncorked - detcatted etc
    I have the option to buy a used Power commander 5 and wondering if I should bother or not .
    I am quite happy with the bike but as always wouldn't mind a little more power - down low
    I believe these run better than the stock 08
    I may look for a slip on muffler if there are better options than the stock - but I have found in the past that mufflers tend to add more up top than down low

I have noticed it occasionally runs rough - back fires and stalls .

I noticed it more when some lower ( 91) octane fuel in tank it ran poorly . This is aussie fuel . With 95 it ran well one day and not so well the other day.

I will try some 98 next but its a pain to drain the tank - is there a way without removing tank >?

I am running stock gearing and wondering if going to a 49 rear sprocket may help instead .

The guy selling the PC also has a Kouba lowering link in the deal which lowers by 40mm? May come in handy as when turning on a down hill its a tad high - but I m not that keen on having to modify kickstand

Any thoughts welcome
  2. D3lla Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 4Runner
    There is no need for 98 octane...The manual calls for 98 RON which is 93-94 octane. I run ethanol free 89 with some Torco octane booster to get it up to 93-94 octane (mix it in a 5 gallon can). I have noticed the bike runs cooler. I also run engine ice. When I run regular pump gas and get the bike hot enough for the fan to kick in (210F) the fan wont lower the temp... With 94 octane it does lower the temp. I just tested this last weekend.

As far as PCV, I have a 2008 SM450R with power commander III, it does help.

My advice is if you're going to get the PCV get the autotune with it.
    rockdancer likes this.
  3. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Ok thanks .

I also found this info -

RON is always about 4 to 5 points higher than the equivalent PON (Pump Octane number = AKI):
    USA (AKI/PON) --- Europe (RON)
    87 = 91
    89 = 93
    91 = 95
    93 = 98

I think 98 RON is what I am using now but had run 91 RON
    I didn't get the PC V and I think its sold yesterday

A bit off topic but I rode the bike for 50 ks on the weekend - 33 miles?
    Quite a hard ride - stopping at obstacles etc but the bike used a tank of fuel + 1 litre I added on the ride

I'm wondering if there is an issue . It seems to run well. The spark plug isn't black and I believe the temp sensor is working ie fan kicked in on previous rides not sure on last ride . I may need to test it - not sure how

I don't have access to a dealer with ibeat software. My local dealer thinks its too expensive to keep licence and doesn't have it any longer.
  4. bfalcao Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310

A gas leak??
  5. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not all the power commanders are the same. In the states there is one for calif and one for the other 49 states. One doesn't do shit below 4K. It will help eliminate stalling on you when you come to a stop. Smoother powerband too
  6. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    As far as draining the tank, I use a siphon pump I bought years ago to pull the fuel out through the filler. Gets all but about 1/2 litre.
    You could use a "jiggle" siphon hose too I suppose, just take care jiggling it near the fuel pump.
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    No need to drain the tank, just add fresh gas.
    I would get 100 to 120 kms from my 450 up and down steep hills in the vic. high country and lugging my 250 pound bulk.
    I never needed a power commander or after market pipe and found there was tons of grunt. Maybe get a larger rear sprocket-say two teeth.
    That said the close ratio box will feel constrained on the fire trails..
    Take the bike to a good husky dealer and have them go over the bike ie ecu mapping and valve clearances.
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    This was a while ago now. I have changed the Coolant temperature sensor as I think it was faulty . BTW way what seems to cost $15 in the US was $35. Havent tested it yet - been playing with other bike .

I doubt my local dealer would have a clue about the ecu mapping on older Huskies - they don't even have Ibeat .