1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 449 Oil leak

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by DanTheHuskyMan, May 22, 2016.

1. DanTheHuskyMan Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    PeeWee
    Hi all new to cafe husky sold my drz last year & bought a 449 been doing bits & bobs to get it ready for road & putting my stamp on it.
    I went into shed other day & noticed oil underneath bike so started trying to find where it was coming from & it seems to be coming from the little rubber (I think it is the neutral switch) see pic is this what it is called & where can I buy replacement? 2016-05-22 22.23.44.jpg
  2. DanTheHuskyMan Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    PeeWee
    *BUMP* Still leaking
  3. norma stitz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nunya185
    Hardware store? Rubber seal? Or goop it with RTV would be my suggestions. Might be bad advice though, YMMV
  4. DanTheHuskyMan Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    PeeWee
    Yeah I've not removed it yet so will take it off & see wether can get a seal I looked on husky parts before I posted but couldn't find it so thought I'd ask but yep might have to be a diy job
  5. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    O ring perhaps?
  6. Plawa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    Interested to see what you find, mine does the same thing. Not to the point where it would drip but I can see the part covered in a film of oil
  7. Plawa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    As to where you can buy a new one..

http://www.halls-cycles.com/default.asp?page=xstore&keyword=7726739

this is what I assume is the correct part based on the parts manual. I need to get something from Halls anyway so I'll throw it in.

Btw what does the Neutral switch do on this bike anyway? A voltmeter tells me a circuit is closing from this switch against ground when you go into neutral (however it's fairly finicky) so the switch picks up neutral but I don't see that information displayed anywhere. The user manual says it should be on the 5th screen of the dashboard (speed only on left) but my bike still displays a "0" on the right side and no indication of neutral...
  8. Plawa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    So yeah, it's dripping now.. how you looked into it already by any chance? I'm about 10h from the next oil change so I'll take mine apart when thathappens.

Btw now that I know the bike has a neutral switch I ordered a cheap green LED N indicator and will install it on the dashboard in clear view.. it's something I've been missing on this bike.
  9. DanTheHuskyMan Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    PeeWee
    Well I took it off & used some stuff called ct1 so will see how it goes i'm thinking it's going to end up getting blanked off if it still leaks! Had a metal rattle noise from clutch so pulled the cover to find this..... 20160605_224430.jpg
    aha2070 likes this.
  10. DanTheHuskyMan Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    PeeWee
    20160605_224439.jpg
    No damage luckily.
    aha2070 likes this.
  11. norma stitz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nunya185
    Singles sure do like to disassemble themselves.
  12. husQnr Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE511

did replacing this part do the trick for you? Mine appears to be leaking from the same place about a drop or two a day... thanks
  13. Martillo Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF 230F
    Mine is leaking too. Can we just plug it and disconnect the wire???
  14. aha2070 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    smr 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    duke 200
    loose bolt ?, mine too hearing rattle from clutch cover but when push clutch lever the noise gone
  15. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Nope, that's normal clutch noise.
    aha2070 likes this.
  16. Martillo Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF 230F
    Mine is leaking pretty steadily from this Neutral Sensor as well, coming out the rubber tip where the screw attaches. I took the part off, tried cleaning it out and reinstalled. It still leaked. I put some silicone all around the tip, it still leaks. I ordered a replacement part but the dealer has no idea when it will arrive, maybe from Italy. They don't know.
    ** Can we just remove this bolt/sensor and plug the opening? What do we need the Neutral sensor for??? Thanks!
  17. Martillo Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF 230F
    Well, I disconnected the wire and the bike still started up. So I removed the sensor and replaced it with a bolt! Got on the bike this morning to ride to work...and it wouldn't shift into second gear! It will downshift into first and when I upshift it goes into neutral, but won't go past neutral into 2nd gear. :naughty:
    Sooo, at least we know. Looks like the bike requires the part, unless there is some way to complete the circuit and trick the computer(?) . Any ideas why we they would wire the bike this way? BTW, this is what the sensor looks like, next to the bolt I replaced it with (which didn't work). The pin at the bottom of the sensor is on a spring and retracts into the bolt).
    IMG_0308.JPG
    aha2070 likes this.
  18. Martillo Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF 230F
    Update: With the sensor out, I did a better job of sealing the tip with silicone before putting it back in. I took it for a 50 mile desert ride today and no leaks! Will replace the part once it arrives.
  19. Martillo Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF 230F
    Spoke too soon... the silicone has fallen apart and it was leaking again. I took off the part and put JB Weld all over the tip. It's holding for now :)
    Someone else has suggested that my 16mm bolt (above) may have just been a tiny bit too long, and that a shorter bolt might do the trick without interfering with the shifting. They didn't have a bolt shorter than 16mm with fine threads (1.25), and my replacement part should hopefully arrive sometime soon (it's been 5 weeks so far)... but if I have more problems I'll cut off the bolt and try to cap it and see what happens...
    IMG_0321.JPG
    [IMG]