1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 310 conter sprocket slack (video)

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by motranqui, Apr 29, 2018.

1. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Hi

After 15.000 km of enduro, I found this slack in the front sprocket. To be honest, I don't like it, but I wonder if it's normal. Both, rear and front sprocket (and chain) are quite new (round about 500 km). I hear a rattle coming from the sprocket - chain area that I don't like it. May be noise comes from the slack ? ... I don't know.

The bad thing about it is that I've heard that if I want to replace the CV shaft I have to remove half the engine...

The CS is OEM

Any advice?

Thank you

2. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    There is some modest play there but I do not believe it is excessive. Take the sprocket off and see if the splines look true or are rounded off on the leading edges.
    I squeeze waterproof bathroom sealant around the splines and the sprocket to keep the play down a tad .
    The front sprocket would not be the source of the rattle, it is probably the rear floating brake disc.
  3. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

What he said.

The shaft should be harder then the sprocket. Any play should come from wear on the sprocket. Inspect the shaft when you next change the sprocket.
  4. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Believe it or not but soft will wear hard away (eg. rubber hose rubbing on steel pipe will wear the pipe away). I think it's because the soft material becomes imbedded with the harder compound along with dirt and grit (microscopic). This turns the softer material into a kind of grinding compound.
    Hence the output shaft will become worn. I suppose the fact that the sprocket gets replaced periodically but the shaft is original may also be a factor.
    My theory and I'm sticking to it lol.
  5. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Hi

The source of the rattle is not the rear disc because I put silicone on it and since then the rattle has gone (besides the rattle is in the left part of the bike)

I upload another video. As you can see there is not play in the first area of the shaft... so, in my opinion, that proves that the splines are wear.

I don't know how longer can it last till I have to change the shaft. What do you think?

6. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    The spline play (movement ) is tolerable at the moment, put the sprocket back on and silicone it on, this will reduce/cushion the play.
    As mentioned a potential stop gap move is to spot weld the new sprocket on- personally I would be hard pushed to undertake that however.
  7. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Ghte, how do you silicone a shaft and a sprocket? What kind of silicone?. I can not understand which way a silicone is going to last between the sprocket and the splines, as these two pieces bear quiete a lot of presure and radial movement every single second...

Thank you
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I have normally done the same in the past, the output shaft splines wear, best thing is to keep your countershaft sprocket fresh and use a type like 1211 Threebond brand it helps and yes it does get crushed under drive but it does dampen the looseness. Also be sure to leave proper slack in your chain which is the leading cause of output shaft wear and stress. With the screw on CS nuts I always sealed the nut with threebond anyway as an added measure to prevent it from coming off.
    On my new KTM Husky I used locktite 271 hi strength on the screw. Oh and I clean and put a smoothed dab of threebond 1211 on my chain masterlink as well for added hold on the clip.
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    you can see my 1211 threebond build on the countershaft up here under the dust/dirt in this post race photo from more than a few years back on my 2008 TXC450 Husqvarna.
    [IMG]
  10. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F

Sorry, robertaccio, but I can not see the pic.

Anyway let me see if I've understand what you mean (sorry, language issues.. )

Is Threebond 1211 a kind of silicone, may be, a "liquid gasket silicone"?
    Do you put it all around the splines?
    Then, you put the sprocket and let it dry?
    Once the threeebond 1211 has dryed, it keeps in place and someway it dampen the looseness?