1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Te 310 2012 Fork Oil

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by mr_extreme112, Jul 15, 2018.

1. mr_extreme112 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 12
    Hello,
    i wanted to do an fork oil change on my te 310 2012 with the open chamber KYB forks. In the manual they say to use 7.5wt oil, but some people are running 5wt oil and swear by it, what do you reccomend for faster enduro riding, more in the direction of cross country, i dont know whats in them now so i dont have any idea what fork oil i should get, and i dont want to waste the money. I think the 7.5wt would be better for me, what do you think?
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well, it depends.
    I was a fast "B", slow "A" rider and rode a lot of rocks on the east coast.
    I went with 5wt "01 Kayaba oil and found the performance much improved in all situations except in 2ft sand whoops where it might bottom a bit. I run a 110mmm fork level.
  3. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I would go for 5 weight and experiment with 5 to 10 mills more oil.
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    shit, I'm planning on 2.5wt and maybe 10mm less height. Right now with my open chamber kyb's, I'm at 17 clicks compression (minimum compression on my right fork leg, my left has 18 clicks total- but i match the right) with the stock oil height and viscosity.

my suspension is pretty good actually; but i'd like to get into the middle range of the clickers. BTW, I am not a suspension guru. But when I uncrated this thing, the compression clickers were at 11 or 12- rock solid. I'm not hitting triples.
  5. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My clickers are most of the way out on compression my self. A few clicks in.
    These forks are actually pretty good stock. Better stock than the stock closed chambers on my 2012 TXC310. I had to have those forks done by WER. They were way to harsh stock for the boulders I ride in.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  6. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  7. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I agree.
    I use the Kayaba "01" oil.
  8. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    Planning on doing this myself sometime soon. When i picked my '13 up last month the PO claimed the suspension was untouched from new. It literally had no sag when I sat my 75-80kg arse on it. Rear preload was all the way up tight, when adjusted properly both static and rider sag checked out, but forks still too hard, wound compression 1 or two clicks from all the way soft and slid the tubes up 10mm to compensate for lack of sag,, actually rode pretty good but still too stiff in the spring im thinking.
  9. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cool.

But this stuff is 2.5 according to their website- so I'm not sure what you mean.

Vis @ 100°C, CSt 2.3
  10. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    But on their site they claim a viscosity of 2.5 so...? ("Extralight-2.5wt is very popular in NASCAR, as well as AMA Motocross")

edit:
    my point is: i don't understand your point.

To sum up- I indicate that sometime in the future I'm going to go to 2.5wt oil in my forks. You tell me that viscosity indexes aren't reliable and point me to an oil (the redline water stuff... looks like I'm gonna use it) that claims to have a viscosity of.... 2.5

great.

also, the technical paper (peter whoever) pretty much has the same numbers. So I don't understand what you're trying to tell me?
  12. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    From the link I posted.

Do not use the SAE (W) numbers.

Use cSt (centiStokes) which are provided for comparison purposes in the charts and usually on the manufacturers website under material data sheet. These are the truly relevant numbers as they can be compared directly, not so with the SAE 'weight' numbers which are often meaningless.

For forks, cSt at 40C is the more useful number as the oil will not get hot like it does in a shock
  13. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
  14. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
  15. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Go with the lightest one
  16. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    sure. go with the very light or the light motul. but why do you not go for Zomby Woofs Red Line stuff? I gotta admit, Motul products are considered top shelf but the Red Line suspension oils seems to have a great rep.

btw, ZW: frank zappa?? saw him in '77.

yeah... like I said: I read all that; I got all that; from both sites. [Does SAE even rate suspension oils?]. i think we're talking in circles or i'm missing your point about meaningless "numbers".
  17. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I think the SAE ratings allow a (wide) variation in actual measured viscosity (cSt) that does not translate well for light suspension fluids. Gear oil, works fine. Light and extremely light weight oils, not so much. cSt is exact and enables you to make a direct comparison, something the SAE/W numbers do not.

I don't know why it's still used, probably because that's how it;s always been done, but fortunately all the manufacturers make the actual viscosity numbers available

Yes, big FZ fan, saw him a few times also. 77 would have been in his heyday, IMO.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  18. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    i would but redline is hard to get over here on the arsehole of the world. Apparently they make the best gearbox and diff oils too which i would also use in my car but alas the availability just isnt there.
  19. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I agree go with the lightest oil you can get in these forks. I finally put ZW's fav Red Line LW fluid in my revalved forks and noticed a very nice improvement.
    :cheers: