1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 250 2009 Rattle

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Eoin, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    I've got a bit of a rattle on my TE 250 engine. Not attempted to find out where it's coming from yet, but will be having a look around the engine later. It's a light rattling noise, not very noisy and not sounding horrible. Runs fine (apart from the intermittent stall issue, which was already happening from time to time before), smooth, plenty of power. Doesn't seem to be related to clutch position / gears, present when stood and running in neutral and when moving in gear and when coasting.

What is there that is worth checking?
  2. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    Are you positive it is from motor. My 09 te310 had rattle noise from rear disc rotor and s/a in muffler.
  3. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    I'll have to get it on a stand later and have a look more closely, it's still there when stationary so brake seems unlikely, but could be exhaust.
  4. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    Do not rule out rear disc, it is a floating rotor and gets play over time.
  5. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    check the cam chain tensioner. my auto tensioner failed and I replaced it with a manual one
  6. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    Took out the plug to check if this had anything to do with the engine dying when idling (intermittent). Plenty of crud in the plug hole, cleaned it out, plug fine so refitted when cool. Started up cool and no noise at all now.

Even when I could hear the noise, using a screwdriver, the internals all sounded really smooth.
  7. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    Worse when hot? Could be chain, fine now cooled down again.
  8. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    the stock auto cam chain tensioner is a ratcheting type device. sometimes these fail and allow the cam chain to get loose and slaps around while running. this sounds like a rattle or slapping noise coming from the top end
  9. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    More ticking. Tick-tick-gap. Twice a second(ish) at 1900 (ish) revs. Losten to the engine with a screwdriver amd all sounds smooth. The ticking audible outside. Disappeared now it's cooled.

Edit: So the cycle is tick -tick every 15 (ish) revs.
  10. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    While rooting around looking for possible noise sources, the bottom left hose was touching the exhaust header, so I've fitted the right part now which is shorter and bendier, so has a decent clearance.

This evening, I took out the tensioner and it's only in about 4 clicks. Put it back and pushed an allen key in where the spring goes and it was tight. Ran it, took out again and it came out in the same place, so not slipping back.

Got the rocker cover off. Found 1 x stripped thread for the cover screw, front right. Not pulling the engine to coil it so it will have to seep a bit if that's what happens. Chain has a nice tension. No play in the cam bearings. Valve clearances all good.

Put it all back together again.

Re-epoxying one of the front threaded inserts for the tank panels now, so going to let that set before re-fitting and firing up again tomorrow.
  11. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    Fired straight up, it always starts well. Still a tick tick noise though. Needed a MoT (annual test), so I rode it down today, about 10 miles. Sounded horrible when I got there. Test was fine, rode home slowly. Engine out time.
  12. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    Cam bearings are gone, 1 really bad and 2 a bit loose. It went from a ticking noise to really noisy in about 30 miles. Limped home another 10 miles very slowly and it held together. Some swark in the cam boc and a bit in the LHS screen. Sump had a bit of debris on it, but not too much.
  13. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE300, '11 TE449, '10 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
    Well done on finding the issue before it did more damage.
    Eoin likes this.