1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    TE = 2st Enduro & TC = 2st Cross

TE/TC TC 250 Build

Discussion in '2st' started by ajaxauto, Dec 13, 2018.

1. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Any one out there ever build up a Husky TC 250 for offroad

Thinking of building one up for the National Hare and hounds.

Love the TC 125 it did great all year. I also did a full year on a TE 300 now I am thinking a TC 250 might be fun
    Kam1 likes this.
  2. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have. Unbelievable bike..o ring chain. 13 tooth front sprocket (allows you to run 3rd gear and ride it like a 300) stealthy flywheel weight. Map switch if it don't have one..revalved front and back... super light ..amazing power..not sure wth I got a te 150 put on air fork and brembos...may go tx 300 or back to a 250 ..havnt rode the 150 enough..sure miss the low end power ..
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I've been thinking the same thing John. Nice light Aer forks, Gnarly pipe, Ty prepped carb, 18in rear. Basically a TX 250. The modern version of the old WR. Although it's still fun to pass guys on my now 13 year old bike, thanks to you.
  4. RickyDZero Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 Tx 300 i and 2015 Fc 250
    Great thread guys! Keep the info coming!
  5. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

To me the 19 inch rear has been fine for offroad.....and saves one pound over the 18....almost easier to buy a tx 300 ...a good dealer will know someone and will swap the 300 top end for a 250 topend...hence tx 250...with the only downside in my eyes the magura brakes..although slower guys probably are fine with them as they are more progressive and not on or off like the brembos...i havnt heard alot about the new frame plastic of the 19 tc tx. ...probably and improvement over the already great 17 18...as ktm/Husky don't sit on there duffs for long...
  6. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Only things I did to my TC250 to "build" it for the woods was put in progressive enduro springs two sizes too big for me and armor it (wraparound handguards, skid plate, 7602 Racing rotor and radiator guards and clutch cover). Stock gearing works perfect for me.
  7. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I rode a stock 2017 tc 250 back to back against my beta 250rr (2016) on a four mile course..stock for stock (I'm a fairly fast old a class rider) I was faster on the beta 3 for 3 it was a four mile course and I did it back to back switching bikes..averaged i believe approximately 45 seconds faster on the beta..the husky gearing sucked but not near as bad as the stock motocross suspension along with the mighty engine with little flywheel effect..i then went to a 13 tooth front (wow..you can stop in third gear take off again and ride it like a 300!) Disconnect map switch add flywheel weight and have halls husqvarna revalve both front and rear suspension added te tank along with factory low seat...a few other goodies..both bikes bars cut to 29 and 3/4 inches I believe..i also cut the pin so I could lower rear brake pedal farther..i then went and did the same loop three times...now 45 seconds faster then the beta time and a best of if i remember over a minute...for anyone who doesn't think weight matters..the beta stock was pretty good i won't lie..(Sachs iffy in whoops) but there was a hotshot on my tail one day and even took off once in front of me..anyways yea I taught him a lesson we had a great day riding that day...(beta dry weight no fuel 236 pounds..my shoulders were on fire the entire next week...husky with flywheel weight probably 213 or so...if putting around no big deal..a drz feels ok...at race pace or it ain't fun unless something really bad might happen attitude...light weight means ALOT to me..im getting older and electric start is getting lighter..i tried a 18 te 250 just before my 18 tc...explorer fork lost in the whoops...6 speed harder to use then my 13 tooth tc...227 pounds or so vs 213...i could feel it...11 he drive back to halls sucked to trade in 18 te for 18 tc....i will say if just trail riding the te was very good and I felt probably better then the beta..i probably focus to much on weight but I'm older and honestly weaker then I once was...tx 300 may be better value and u get a sidestand...and electric start at a mere 7 pound (well little to some) weight penalty....
    RickyDZero likes this.
  8. RickyDZero Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Fletch, I like you am a older rider ( 61 this month). Average at best riding skill but still I like the idea of having a Tc 250 2 stroke. My fear is not being able to start it. That is why I no longer have any left kickers I could not start them. I had no trouble starting my 2013 Tc 250r a little tall but it started easy. My question is how hard is a Tc 250 to kick start? and wouldn't a rekluse auto clutch solve those concerns.
    fletchman45 likes this.
  9. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It is going to happen. I am going to get a used 17 or 18 Tc 250 and build it. I love my Te 300 there is nothing better to go super crazy King of the Moto trail riding. The bike just works in the ruff. But for racing the National Hare & Hounds or the new Dist 37 Sprint Enduro the Zip Ty Racing Tc 125 is so much more fun. Plus at around 200 pounds it is easy to throw around. I raced it all year with stock gearing 13/50 which now that I have changed it I relies that was to high. I put on a 12 tooth to see and that was great but a little to much. So I just mounted up a 52 rear. Just like I use to run on the Walt Smith Italian Husky 125 and 165. We will see this weekend at the sprint Enduro and then in 2 weeks Rd 1 of the Nationals
    Hare & Hound. At the Nationals I have to run the 125 against the open class. Where I sure give up some speed on the big hills or sand washes But when it get really tight or big down hills. There is nothing better. I am 62 but still race in the 50a class. As for electric start really on a 125 I can start the 125 with my hand. As for a auto clutch come on those are for 4 strokes
    So it will happen soon a project TC 250 If I win the lotto then for sure a full Ohlein front and rear set up from David at Fast Bike Industries will be part of the project.
    Will post a up date after this weekend
  10. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

While I've ridden other guys bikes with the autoclutch I've never really liked them ..ive had buddies that can ride them great but even the ones where you can use the clutch I don't seem to like...i could be old school but the clutch is my friend ..im constantly using it for everything..the tc with a flywheel weight rarely stalls..i had a race where it was a tough day..( got third super senior a) but I had crashed a couple times and was tired...picked my bike up and a couple guys were a little mad at me..waiting for me to get my bike relit and get out of there way..truth be told in that instance yes I wish I had electric start because it would of been relit ..but I was tired and because I kicked like a wuss it d idnt light..the bike starts pretty easily but like any 250 you should give a deliberate manly kick..and it will light 1st kick every time after being properly warmed up...2-3 kicks with choke cold.but for the most part..you start your bike and ride it till you take a break..so is electric start necessary?? Without the flywheel weight the bike stalls much easier..i priced a 19 tc..with te fuel tank f and r revalve..13 tooth front and o ring chain c ant remember what else but a 2019 tx 300 with front and rear revalve as well was only $500 more ...in that case the tx is probably a better deal. . Weighs approximately 8 more pounds then tc or 7 when you put a flywheel weight...so 7 pounds gets you electric start and a side stand...and much easier resale..i picked up a tricked out te 150 2018 and added brembo s and my air fork off my 18 tc...however what I noticed about getting older (bike only has 7 hours on 3 of what I put)...at this point I think I can probably ride a 250 faster mostly because the bottom end torque can make you look like a better rider and get out of trouble..if a guy is a c or b rider or trail guy and not racing for points the te 250 is pretty nice...if I was riding 80% I really didn't feel a disadvantage with the added weight..it was when I turned up the chase or pushed hard I'd start making more mistakes..and the fork that was caddilac plush would start to fall apart....at 61 if your knees are in good shape your lucky! Jumping out of airplanes in the Army and a wide open 2nd gear ducati crash (d-- Harley was in my way.) Have now made me start thinking about electric..the starter is so small and my te has and aftermarket light weight battery that feels like around 8 ounces..cant add more then 5 pounds tops...i am thankful gas gas and husky leave the kick start for backup! But I can't even ride fast anymore without knee braces...tough choices. Whoever thought a dirtbike could cost 10k...
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    You guys jumping out of perfectly good aircraft......Fletch mucho respect,
    fletchman45 and RickyDZero like this.
  12. RickyDZero Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    My sediments exactly:notworthy:
    fletchman45 likes this.
  13. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thats what happens when u watch the movie Rambo ...and drink to much beer...kinda wishing my buddy would not have bought my tc 250 2018...havnt made up my mind on this te 150 yet...
    robertaccio likes this.
  14. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    RIGHT?!? I never dreamed I'd ever see a $10k dirt bike...But we sell them almost every day
  15. RickyDZero Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    So instead of just wondering, I went down to the Husky shop and sat on a Tc 250. It was a 2018 but I guess seat height are the same as the 17 models. when I grabbed it first thing I noticed was the weight. Man! these things are light! Second; seat height lower than my 2015 fc 250. Last and most important I could kick start it. YES!! So like others here a Tc 250 is in my near future. Factory lower seat I will be in 2 stroke heaven.:love:
    fletchman45 likes this.
  16. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wait till you sit on a TC 125 That is why I race 125 But a 250 is a coming soon
    fletchman45 likes this.
  17. RickyDZero Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yeah and 125s are making more power than what 250s used to make. Amazing! I would probably love one but I weigh too much I think.
    fletchman45 likes this.
  18. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Remember one thing you probably will have to detune the tc a tish..unless your a fast young 250 top a class rider..with a 13 tooth sprocket and map in stock mode..needle one clip leaner my bike was so sensitive to throttle position..i would rail thru a single track tight s curve and crack throttle a tish that I would then snag my helmet and neck on a tree resulting after time my neck was hurting so bad I went and got a cat scan and xrays to make sure it wasnt broken...i then installed a factory map switch and tried the soft power valve spring...eventually going with stock spring and map in the mellow mode.. or soft spring and map in the moto mode..my 17 seemed almost stronger then my 18 for some reason...what I noticed with the 18 te 150..stripped of headlight tail light and odometer and added air fork (almost four pound savings) hence a electric start bike that weighs like 199 pounds!..my 150 has a 51 tooth rear sprocket..scalveni silencer..jd jet kit ..vforce reeds and a rk head insert...i hadn't got to ride for around two m onthes because I was building another new house for the family ..was not familer with riding a smallbore anymore..went on a wim to race...two laps..got stuck messed up crashed on the same hill twice .I know for a fact without question my tc 250 would have made it...keep in mind I was not familer with my bike and was out of riding shape etc...but the extra torque of the 250 engine makes a difference...in owning a 18 te 250 and 18 tc 250 again I think if you are not chasing points and not a fast aggressive rider few will notice the extra weight of the te and at least in Minnesota they are easy to get plated...and if you think your gonna ride tc in the woods without a revalve..your crazy..at 80% pace both bikes feel good..i was pushing the te one day and zig sagged thru some single track..ended up laying bike down and felt the extra 15 pounds is what caused it..the reality is in 92 when I bought a new kdx 200 for 2999 (one year kawasaki thing..traded in a 1991 260..yes 260 wxe..) I put 140 miles of mixed trails in one day was full of smiles and never once thought about the fact the bike weighs 235 pounds ready to ride no fuel! Most guys like I said may not benefit much from a tc..and as u get older a button is a good thing and better at resale time!
    robertaccio likes this.
  19. RickyDZero Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I hear what you are laying down Fletch. I plan on keeping the Fc 250. Might be a better choice for me as a single track woods bike. It has the 270 big bore kit so the low to mid range is a lot better than the stock Fc. Plus e-start. Yeah they weigh more than the Tc probably the same as a Te. I know neither the Tc or Fc are the best choice for woods riding but I ride 80% vintage mx style tracks and GP type courses. I need to sale my 2007 TE 510 first before any other bike purchases are done. So I dont have to decide today.
    fletchman45 likes this.