1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Taking Poll on Clutch Plate Material

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by luvwoods, Sep 14, 2009.

1. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Gang,

I'm taking a poll here. I'm considering switching from the Husky standard aluminum clutch plates to steel plates. I see Barnett offers them. Anyone have experience and an opinion one way or the other?

I have not yet had any issues with the aluminum plates other than the way they seem to pollute the oil so rapidly. By the way, is that normal and is it a cause of concern?

Thanks.
  2. crankpin Husqvarna
    B Class

My only concern is that on 72 - 82 engines (not sure of others) the primary side c/s bearing (and of course all gear bearings, pinions and shafts) runs in this oil.

At least the alloy swarf is soft!!! :thumbsdown:
  3. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess I should have mentioned this was in relation to a 1984 WR250engine. I by no means know the differences in engine internals +/- a few years from this one.
  4. crankpin Husqvarna
    B Class

None the less, if you want long life from your gearbag, stick with alloy plates IMHO
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    The oil certainly will get dirtier quicker with aluminum plates, because they are soft enough wear and leave that residue in your oil. Steel plates are heavier, so there will be more inertial effect on the clutch, kind of like adding a weight to your flywheel. I think that that would be the main difference, other than not wearing as fast and getting your oil cruddy quickly like the aluminum ones.
  6. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

7. crankpin Husqvarna
    B Class

Yes, the other side of the coin looks good.

Adding inertia isn't always a good thing though, if you want your engine to spin up quickly for instance (all mxers)

The steel plates will also wear your clutch (basket and hub) prematurely, especially for you thrashers.

There's also a reason why Husky engineers saw fit to use alloy plates?

I'll stick with alloys and change my oil every trip...

What's the general consensus for gear oil anyway?

Most vintage mxers use dexron atf over here!
  8. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class