Switching the positions of air box and fuel tank

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by Theo, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250

Here is a summary of what the Italian guy says at the beginning:

«This is Thomas Chareyre's bike, a completely new bike, which we started to develop this year; it has the peculiarity that the positions of its fuel tank and of its airbox have been reversed, compared to the other bikes of our range.» Then he shows the airbox and, at 0:41, he adds: «All this has been done in order to get a better weights distribution, a better balance of the bike and a better nimbleness. Until now the tests we have carried out and the first races of the season have proved that the bike runs much better.».

He didn't simply say that it seems to be better; he said that it runs much better!

Yesterday, T. Chareyre qualified first in the first World Championship event and today he's won both the races. Thanks to that solution?
    http://mgmtiming.azurewebsites.net/report/00000001_fim supermoto grand prix of france/s1/pdf/s1 - gp classification - classification - 2014-04-20 18.16.15.pdf

Their other rider (Vermeulen) has also won both the races:
    http://mgmtiming.azurewebsites.net/report/00000002_supermoto european champ. france/sm2/pdf/sm2 - overall classification - classification - 2014-04-20 15.56.24.pdf

Please notice:
    -the holes on the front number plate at 0:34; they've probably been made to let the air flow reach the airbox,
    -that at 0:38 they were filming the standard bike, not the new one.

BTW, have you noticed that in that championship there is a guy -Pavel Kejmar- who uses an Husky? I've just found it out.
  2. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
  3. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    wow, such a beauty machines they make.. are they the manufacturers?
  4. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Yes: they are the official TM team.
  5. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Incredible that a brand like that is not yet very comercial, at least on america(when I say america I refer to the whole continent)
  6. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Here in Italy many people with the usual CRF supermotos are switching to TM.
    They say that they are a blast on the asphalt but less nimble than the CRFs in the dirt sections.
    They also say that they are too little reliable, that there are too few aftermarket parts for them and that the OEM ones are pretty expensive and not so easy to get.
    In short, they seem to be performant, beautiful, exciting, expensive, problematic bikes.
  7. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    How interchangeable are the parts with other brands that you know? I mean, are parts from KTM, Husky, Honda, etc that fit those machines?
  8. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    AFAIK they make the frame and the engine, so I don't think that there are many interchangeable parts.
    This is their factory, shown by a cameraman who speaks a language I don't know (probably from the Northern Europe) and by Alex Serafini, former supermoto professional racer:
    Alberto likes this.
  9. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    cool video! a shame I dont understand that language, probably finnish or something LOL