1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Swedish Steel Used On 70's Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by William Reese, Jul 22, 2021.

1. William Reese Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna CR 250, and three others
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki 250 RM
    I know I have read or seen somewhere before the answer to this question, but does anyone know what the Swedish SIS (Swedish Institute for Standards) number is for the steel used in Husqvarna frames made in 1970's. 4130 is the American designation of a steel that is close to it, but I really need to know the exact SIS number used. There is also a British steel that is close to it, but again only interested in the Swedish steel or, where I can find out. Thanks
  2. Rojotes390CR Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979 390 CR
    I do not know the SIS #, but the steel is called Chromium Molybdenum Steel. It has a high yield strength and corrosion resistance. Good stuff.
    William Reese and husky jim like this.
  3. William Reese Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki 250 RM
    Thanks Rojotes390CR! I am a mechanical engineer and am very well familiar with American Chromoly steel 4130 and other grades, but I really need to know the exact SIS number of Swedish steel as I plan on buying it from Sweden if necessary. Only the best Swedish steel will do for the application I am going to use it for. Thanks again for your comment to my question, much appreciated!

On another note looks like you have a 390CR just like mine, cool!
    Rojotes390CR likes this.
  4. Rojotes390CR Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979 390 CR
    Yes Sir. I just picked this one up from the second owner for over 30 years. He did a nice job on the restoration. What year is yours?
    William Reese likes this.
  5. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    William Reese likes this.
  6. William Reese Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki 250 RM
    1979 same as yours! But I have a lot of work to do on it, almost a basket case when I got it. Right now I am designing a seat pan for a 1976 250CR that I have out of carbon fiber with stainless steel brackets (or Ti6-4, already made) and SS fasteners. It will never rust out or crack like plastic does. The trick is how to design a nice system to attach the vinyl seat cover to the carbon fiber seat pan, no staples here. I will probably use stainless steel strips over the vinyl and bolted into the carbon fiber with special fasteners. I guess I do things from an long-lasting, quality, engineering (being an engineer..Lol) viewpoint rather than a "get er done" approach.
    Rojotes390CR likes this.
  7. William Reese Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki 250 RM
    Thanks! That is a great Idea! I will email them today and see what happens. Thanks very much for the contact information. Although my dad was 1/2 Swede with his birthday being today (making me 1/4) I don't speak Swedish and hope that they can reply in English. Thanks again Vinskord!!
  8. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Any feedback on your inquiry? Be interesting to know.

BTW - more than 80% of Swedish people speak English - a phone call would not be a problem.