1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Suspension tips for a 86 xc 400

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by RickyDZero, Sep 17, 2018.

1. RickyDZero Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 Tx 300 i and 2015 Fc 250
    After months of fighting infections and the loss of 3 toes. I finally got to ride my 86 400 xc. As good as the motor is the suspension is not. So the question is who do you guys use to upgrade your suspension? What did you do? Who did it? The bike was lowered 2 inches and I tried a stiffer spring in the shock but still way too soft. Am sure the front is too soft also, but the rear is so bad its hard too tell what the front is doing. My weight is around 250. Suggestions Plz!
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Heavier springs on both end and make sure you set proper sag for with your weight on it and Also a static sag with only the sprung weight of the bike( no rider onboard) compressing with the bike vertical. Someone else can chime in with the respective measurements
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Contact George Erl to see if he still has Husky Products damping rods. Out of respect for George, I will not divulge the specs of the set that came in my 1986 400WR. If George gives consent, I will.
  4. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    I had my shock rebuilt and put a complete 2001 Honda CR250R front end on it. I had the bearing races ground down on a cylindrical grinder .015 to fit in the Husky frame neck. now she goes like hell through the rough stuff and stops on a dime. nothing like the garbage it came with from the factory. (1986 400WR)
  5. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have a 1986 KX250 front end set aside for mine, Bolt on with an All Balls bearing on the bottom of the stem.
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The 85-86 linkage was kind of special compared to later versions. Guys did well on it when it was new. It is a much more progressive rate than current. There are a lot of linkages, needle bearings that ride on hardened pieces. Not ones in the catalog at the bearing place, and they changed over time in the replacement parts. And the swingarm ones and the frame metal at the place the swingarm bolt goes through. All those really need known condition is good and what was done to lower the rear for complete suggestion. Putting a whole new front assembly on Is something I have done but if you want to match the lowered rear makes more complicated.

As for what I have done lately is migrate to newer chassis. Relative to other things I have entered I did pretty well on this chassis with the 430 auto. May or may not have been modified/"revalved" as I got used am not in that weight range.
  7. RickyDZero Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 Tx 300 i and 2015 Fc 250
    I solved the problem. I sold the bike. I guess me and left kickers just dont get along. I will miss that motor though.