Supermoto Wheels/tires for TE 630

Discussion in '610/630' started by Tarsky, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    Ok guys, I must admit...I am a total newb when it comes to anything dual sport or dirt bike related. I recently bought 2011 TE 630 with under 2k miles. I LOVE IT! Now, I'd like to get a set of super moto wheels and tires for it. I've done a few searches and have found bits and pieces of information. What I am hoping for is that someone can point me to exactly what I need in order to do quick (30 minute or less) swaps from dirt to SM wheels

- exact wheel size front/rear
    - exact tire size front/rear
    - front rotor (if needed)
    - any special hardware needed? Tools? additional parts?
    - advice and or links as to best place to buy all this stuff

Due to my uber newbness, I'm hoping for an "easy button".

Thanks in advance for all the help..I just dont want to waste money buying the wrong stuff. Even better...perhaps one of you has a set up for sale!?!

Brett
  2. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    In case it might help, I'm only looking to do the wheels and tires, nothing else, unless needed. In other words, it's not a TE to SM conversion that I want to do, I simply want a set of street tires to swap on/off. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
    Thanks
  3. Jonathan Nickel Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I was hoping someone more knowledgable than I would chime in, but here goes...
    You might consider getting a set of 90/10 road/dirt tires - it will really change the way your bike rides, and it might be enough for you.
    Warp9 sells wheel kits, check out their website.
    I've seen photos of what I believe are Honda CBR250R wheels used on TE's to do a conversion. Those should be available pretty cheaply.
  4. Hooligan Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610/SM
    I used husky hubs and excel hoops and laced them up myself. Then ordered an extra front and rear brake discs and rear sprocket. I have an 09 te610 so I dont know what the differences are. On the 610 the sprockets change to 45 rear 15 front(i think) . I used avon distanzias 90/10 tire. Using the husky hubs allow for no need of spacers like you would have to swap with warp nine wheels.

I think that this is the best and fastest way. IMHO
  5. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
  6. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
  7. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin

Good info, thanks. How hard was it to lace up the wheels yourself? Did you need special tools? are your hoops 17's? Thanks again
  8. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin

What would be a good example of 90/10 tires?

I may consider that, but I really like the idea of being able to swap entire wheel/tire combo because I do like to ride off road.
  9. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I have a set of husky 17"s that I may considered parting with, depending on how my engine rebuild turns out. Direct bolt up to a TE630. I'll check back here in a couple weeks.
  10. justintyme Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD Superglide
    If you decide to sell them and If the OP doesn't want those wheels I would be interested bushwa.
  11. Jonathan Nickel Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none

I bought some Pirelli Scorpion MT 90's recently for this purpose but haven't mounted them yet.
  12. Hooligan Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610/SM
    not hard just takes patience and some spoke wrenches. i used avon rubber. yes they are 17" excels. Much better having two wheel sets
  13. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin

Awesome! Please do that.
  14. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I used Pirelli scorpion mt90 AT tires on the dirt wheels before I got the 17's. Worked good at carving up twisties, good on gravel, and even ok ish on single track if aired down. Not so good in wet or muddy conditions tho, and I don't think they are available anymore, wait, maybe they are. Looks like they're still on Pirelli website.
  15. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    Thanks for the info. Since you ended up going to 17's also, would you go back? It seems to me that having 2 sets of wheels/tires is the best option. Any feedback?
  16. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Two sets made sense for me, since I intended to use the bike for two extremes, single track off road in sometimes muddy conditions, and commuting/touring on the street. However, I've since picked up a KDX220 for the woods. I think the TE will end up spending most of it's time as true dual sport/light adv bike, weekend trips, etc. It is FUN with the 17's and some sticky rubber too tho.
  17. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
  18. pomuk Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sms630 2011
    Look to save me reading for hours which motard rims if money was no object would u get for the sms 630 would u go wid the normal spoked wheels of the aloy looking ones im after lightwaight and strong i went exel a60 wid g2 hubs on my mx very good looking strong setup not to sure bout what to use on motars any help be appreciated thanks