1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Suddenly dead, no power to speedo/starter/ignition

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by millenium7, Jul 29, 2015.

1. millenium7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Took the bike and the laptop out to finally sort out the bottom end tuning, took it for 1 lap and then fired up iBeat to tweak the No1 values. All good there, put laptop away and set it aside. Jumped back on the bike.... thats weird, the keys still on but there's no power to the speedo. Cycled it off and on a few times, nothing. Hit the starter button, nothing. The tail light and that small bulb in the headlight are on, but nothing to the ignition system. Tried bump starting it, nope. Checked the 2 fuses on the right side of the bike, 1 looked a bit dicky. Replaced it still nothing. Pulled the tank and had a look around, couldn't see anything wrong. Battery reads 13.2v even when key is turned on

I did replace the resistor that controls the reserve fuel light the other day, its possible I nicked a wire with the scalpel so that'll be my first look. Aside from that, where else should I be looking or testing?
  2. millenium7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Ok, so the manual mentions there are 3 fuses, and they look completely different. Hmmm maybe I should check that out...

After I pulled the side cover off I got a better look, sure enough only 2 fuse holders and they were completely different. I peeled back some layers of tape and sure enough I found entirely new levels of stupid. So at some point a previous owner thought it might be a good idea to cut off all the OEM fuse holders, then twist and tape 2 of their own dodgy fuse holders in place instead. That exercise must have been too much effort for him, so he didn't even bother with a fuse on the last one which controls the ignition. "Yep i'll just twist those 2 wires together which are supposed to have a 20A fuse between them, then slap some tape on it. :thumbsup: I'm sure that'll last for years without any issue whatsoever" :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Oh, that sucks. Some people should never be allowed to touch a wire. I would guess something was causing the fuse to blow repeatedly, so the tweaker solution was the thing. Now you might as well go over the whole loom and see what else is screwed up. Hope there's no permanent damage.
  4. Scud Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro, 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Ducati ST3
    I hope you can get it going again - and there's no expensive damage. Sometimes certain fuses are prone to overheating. Never had that problem on a dirt bike, but on a street bike I have replaced the main fuse with a MAXI fuse and holder with the same amp rating. The larger fuse will still blow under the same conditions, but it's less likely to overheat.
  5. millenium7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    I would kind of understand if that were the case, but the fact he twisted n taped and completely left out any fuse whatsoever on the 20A circuit indicates severe retardation over any sort of ingenious thinking. If a fuse keeps blowing you find the cause and fix it, not just twist the wires together. If it keeps blowing while you are trying to find the problem you use a circuit breaker

I've resoldered everything properly and applied heatshrink. Had to make my own little fuse holder for the 20A circuit but its insulated and sturdy. Bike fired up just fine so it seems to be ok
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Great news! I agree with your assessment of the previous owner's IQ.
  7. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    One house I bought was the same... Pennies stuffed in the screw in fuse outlets. When I moved in every appliance blew up and every electric switch in the house started to smoke And that was life in the Columbia River Gorge in the '80s. :rolleyes:
  8. Scud Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro, 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Ducati ST3
    The only forgivable explanation is a trail-side fix. But even that should have been fixed before the next ride - or at least disclosed during the sale.

+1 on taking a more thorough look at the whole bike (not just the loom). If there are any remaining "previous owner secrets" (POS) lurking in there, you want to find them in the garage, not the woods.