Sudden uptick in idle?

Discussion in '610/630' started by EricV, Apr 23, 2018.

1. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Hi guys. Sorry for taking the low road here, but wanted to throw this out to see if anyone has some ideas on starting point as I just don't have much exp with fuel/air issues and FI.

I was out riding this past weekend (630 w/ 18K on it) and noticed that my idle was suddenly, and markedly, higher. Went from around 1700 to 1900. In all other regards the bike runs as it always has- seems to sound the same, starts the same, etc., etc. Seems odd.

Would a split boot cause this? I'm talking about the boot from the FI unit to the cylinder. I don't see anything but, as we know, it doesn't take much and isn't always easily seen.

Anyway just looking for suggestions on how to smartly investigate this.

Thanks!

Eric
  2. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    Do you have lambda installed?
  3. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Sure do. I should have mentioned that the bike is all stock except for p/u kit and FMF pipe installed.
  4. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Check for sticky cables, your throttle may not be returning fully
  5. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    It could be your boot they do crack/perish along the bottom seam/molding.
    If not run some injector cleaner through your fuel. You have already checked your throttle return by now, no doubt.
    Good luck and let us know what you find out.
    Cheers.
  6. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    It does sound like an issue with air infiltration surging the motor.
    The boot does sound like the likely issue.
  7. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Huge thanks guys. Yes- the throttle itself seems to be functioning normally and fully returning.

I will check that boot. That's a little difficult to troubleshoot as it's just so tight in there. If you grab the throttle body to try and flex it in any direction the thing is very rigid/immobile. I am hoping, though, to be able to give it enough of a push to see if that changes the RPM's at all. I may go ahead and order the boot, just to have it on hand (especially as this is my only bike and I'd hate to have down-time waiting on the part.)

Thanks again!
  8. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    Not that I am suggesting doing this, but you could, with the bike running, spray a little starting fluid at the boot and see if the bike idle changes with the added "fuel" being sucked in through the boot.
    Not that I suggest doing this!
  9. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Gotcha. :thumbsup: I'd also thought of this and don't see any real high risk in doing so. Appreciate your advice, as well as your rightful/understandable disclaimer!
  10. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    It’s not the cold start cable? I know mine hung up once.
  11. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Nah definitely not- it's been working fine. Thanks for throwing it out there though.

I went ahead and ordered the boot as it's far from unlikely that's the issue (and, even if it's not, it's bound to be one day as I'm at 18K on the thing.) Should be here about 3 weeks as it has to come from Austria. Sucks but it is what it is.
  12. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    If it is the boot, in the meantime, you could coat the current one with a rubberized product to seal it short term.
  13. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Good suggestion as I definitely want to go riding- this weekend is going to be warm and sunny here.

Any suggestion as to what product? Hoping for something I can buy locally. Seems likely that I should be able to find something at the local auto parts store.

Now of course the boot may not be it but- based on the fact that all else seems fine (and the uptick so clear/sudden)- I'm thinking this is likely the case.
  14. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,