Sudden slack in clutch lever

Discussion in '610/630' started by Circus, Jul 5, 2011.

1. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok I eventually got to this and the actuator arm is fine. The pushrod also looks fine except for some scoring on the actuator side (I see in the earlier pic similar marks). Is this normal? Could one simply reverse the rod when reasembling or better just leave as is? I decided to do the cup washers at the same time and have just caught them in time with two starting to disintigrate and others looking thin. I am hoping now when it all goes back to gether with a new clutch cable all will be good and that the slackness was indeed the deteriorating cable.
  2. 1lunger Husqvarna
    AA Class

What's you mileage?
  3. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

17700km = 11000 miles
  4. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Those who have done the cup washers - how notched were the tangs of your clutch basket? I am about to refit mine and am not sure if I should dress them slightly (just the raised parts). They are not heavily worn IMO and I know filing them needs to be done carefully and is only ever a temporary fix.
  5. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok all put back together ... cable not fitted yet but the actuator lever is very weak/slack. I am thinking the spring is shot - it is not broken but just does not pull back properly! Anyone had this?
  6. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

When I put a new cable on I have to readjust the side by the motor to get to usable adjustment by the lever.. maybe that??
  7. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Its very weak at the actuator lever at the motor - very little sprung leverage? I will try and fit a cable but just does not seem right. How much actuator lever travel is there normally at the end of the lever = there is probably 10-12mm / half inch. Is this right? Just does not feel right.
    What else could cause this slack?
  8. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok problem solved. When putting the clutch back together I noticed that the screw adjuster on the end of the rod bearing was sitting a bit proud of the lock nut ... and according to Mr Uptite earlier in the thread should be flush... so I loostened it and turned it in flush. He metioned that in the case above that it may have backed itself out. Well I must say when I loostened it I wondered how the hell it could have done so when it is locked so tight but adjusted it anyway. Well as they say FAIL! Once adjusted back out to where it was (about one thread becoming visible) I suddently have sprung adjustment at the actuator lever - of course doh! - because there is now pressure on the pressure plate. (The Tech Repair Manual in fact gives a complicated equation as to the distance there should be between the actator arm and the lower cable adjuster for this adjustment but cannot fathom it!?)

But bottom line problem solved. Have clutch. Will ride.:D

PS. Anyone doing clutch adjustment, cup washers etc - the oil pump shaft can fall out the side cover... it is keyed so ensure that it goes back properly into the pump and also that it is aligned with the drive key slot when refitting side cover.
  9. Mr0wyx Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610
    I have same problem with clutch actuator arm. Where have you guys ordered this actuator arm? My local dealer said that it will be available only after 1 year. If I order it now I will get it on 06/2015. Ebay don't have any offers as well. Is there any other location?

Best regards!
  10. blueknob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 harley davidson superglide
    i remember reading somewhere that someone fixed a broken one by welding it, you could consider that as an option
  11. Circus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tha
    I am on my third actuator arm. The first one cracked and bent. The second got wear marks and was replaced out of caution. In each case my local dealer got the actuator within one week. Moto Forza in Escondido.
  12. Whitfield Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 610 TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    KDX TTR TLR DRZ DR-S H-D/MX H-D/SX
    Looks like I need an arm too...

Any tips on welding. I could mig it and dress it up in a pinch but I'm considering having a local machine shop tig it up for me.

~ False alarm ~ only clutch cable at perch. Time to put the pre-routed spare in service and order a fresh cable. Also good time to inspect the rework the perch / lever / cable issue.

*** Anyone have an alternate / INDUSTRIAL clutch shaft seal part number? On inspection of the clutch arm / shaft assy I knocked the spring loose from the lip of the clutch shaft seal.

[IMG]
  13. QUIMBOLO Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 k6
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBR600RR, KTM EXC 450, CR250R
    Hello Big Dom,

As per your description it seems that I'm having the same exact problem you had. Only problem is that I can't get the way you solve it.
    Everything started after my levers change, It seemed that the cable was a bit too long and I had to adjust it a few times. Until it broke and I ordered a new one. Then while changing it. I noticed that problem you mentioned above. The bike is only 1000 miles, yes almost new for a 2006, and this is driving me crazy.
    My question here is. Is it possible that you give me a more detailed explanation of how did you fix it? Like letting mi know on the part manual wish part is that rod bearing.
    And for the record, yes I had my clutch adjusted to the maximun in order to get neutral easier...
    Thanks in advance for your help and thanks to all you guys that allow us to know our bikes a litter bit more each time we get here.
    I owe you some pic of my baby wich I think is a beauty.

Vss and Gass

QUIMBOLO
  14. foten21 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    610SM
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    hi guys
    plz help
    mine broke today and one part stay inside the case
    any tips how to remove it
    sorry for my english

Attached Files:

15. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    I removed mine from my 610 to inspect it (it was not broken). It didn't take much force to be extracted, but I have to say that I had removed the rod of the clutch which is pushed against that shaft by the six springs of the clutch. So, you should disassemble the clutch up to this point and then slide the rod out of its shaft; here is that rod.
    Then, you could maybe extract the missing piece with a magnet.
    foten21 likes this.
  16. foten21 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    610SM
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1

i will try it tommorow
    do i need to remove the brake pedal or not?
    for the clutch case to be removed?
  17. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    I use to removing the pedal, but maybe it's not necessary.
  18. phlip Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm 610
    Hi, decided to revive an old thread for
    my first post. I had the problem of not being to find neutral, especially when coming to a stop in gear. I could do the tap dance, but not every time.
    I reomved the clutch cover and inspected the friction and steel plates. They looked OK but I decided to replace them as long as I was in there.
    I took the thrust bearing flange and adjusted the screw so it was flush with the jam nut. Re-assembled, new clutch cable, fresh amsoil 10-60,
    and took it for a ride. WOW. Holy crap I can shift to neutral with a gentle pull of my foot after coming to a stop every time.
    No tap dance needed ever.
    I am convined the adjustment of the screw on the thrust bearing flange was the trick. I could of probably done just that and been good.
    No matter how much you adjust the cable the cam on the lever being pulled by the cable will only move the rod that pushes the thrust flange so much.
    By tightening the screw on the flange you effectively make the rod longer getting more movement of the pressure plate.
    Anyway, this forum is a great resource and led me straight to the problem.
    I was gonna sell this bike to help fund my latest track car build, but I may have to keep in now

thanks
    Phil
  19. mick83husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 cr 500 ac 84 cr500
    Other Motorcycles:
    rmx 450 250 gammas r6 race
    Is the arm bent down??twisted shaft?
  20. Tobz Husqvarna
    AA Class