Stripped engine mount bolt

Discussion in 'TR650' started by dmw_az, Jun 12, 2017.

1. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    I was doing some maintenance on the bike this past weekend which required that I remove the crash bars. I've done this before several times, but this time did not go as planned. As I was remove the right side engine mount bolt, it started to get very difficult and was making loud screeching sounds. It was so difficult to turn that I rounded off the head of the bolt. I used my vice grips and got it out and went down to the hardware to get a new bolt. I was hoping that the new bolt would go in and not require a tap. Well, the bolt went in about 8 turns and got stuck again. As I was backing it out, the spacer that goes between the frame and the head came loose and now spins freely. This is preventing me from getting the new bolt out. I was able to get my vice grips on there, but since it's round, it just doesn't hold strong enough. Someone else suggested that I drill a small hole and put a nail or something thin in the hole, but there's just no room to get a drill in there. My only other thought at this point is to have somebody tack weld that spacer to the frame and/or head so that it can hold in place. I know that the head will need to be re-tapped at this point. Hopefully it won't require a heli-coil. Has anybody else had to deal with this before?

Bolt1.jpg

Bolt2.jpg
  2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Hey, them look like the vice grips I lost last week.

Flat jaw Vise grips don't work so well on a round as you are experiencing. You may wish to try the more curved jaw set.
    Matt Crawley likes this.
  3. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    It should just be aluminum debris from your head that is stuck on the bolt. If you have access to a slide hammer with a notched head to slip over the bolt, it should pop right out.
    mag00 and Matt Crawley like this.
  4. Matt Crawley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Nasty!

I installed a set of SW-Motech crash bars last week and getting the frame/engine mount bolts aligned was a major pain. I'm not excited at the prospect of ever removing them after seeing your post.

Matt
  5. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    I like the slide hammer idea. I don't have one but I think such a tool would come in handy. Do you guys use anti-seize on these bolts? Would that have prevented this issue in the first place?
  6. Masterpotter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R27, R100, R1200gs,DT1,
    Yes anytime I go steel to aluminum.
    Most likely.
  7. Matt Crawley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    And of course SWMotech tells us to use Loctite!

What is the recommended anti-seize for these bolts? All I have lying around is the aluminized stuff for use on exhaust fittings. I'm thinking they are stainless or chrome/nickel plated, then threading into the alloy block.

Matt
  8. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    I took the bike to a local mechanic who specializes in KTMs. He got the bolt out and also found out that there was already a helicoil in the head. It must come from the factory that way because I bought it new and this is the first time it's ever been to a shop. He's going to have to step up to a 12mm and he recommended a time sert as it would be much more reliable. He'll also have to drill the frame hole larger as it currently won't allow a tap to fit inside it and I don't want to endure the cost of pulling everything apart in order to move the engine forward to gain clearance. What a PITA. :banghead:
  9. Matt Crawley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Wow. That sucks. I need to pull my bars off and get some anti-sieze on there.

I was really surprised at how far off the frame hole and engine hole where on one side of my bike. I ended up using a pry bar levered on the exhaust to push the frame up while simultaneously pushing the engine down before I could begin threading the bolt. Hoepfully I will be able to remove and reinstall without the frame moving. We shall see.

Good news is those Time Serts look strong. http://www.timesert.com/

Matt