1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

strip out petcock ontank

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by flamepainter78, May 7, 2019.

1. flamepainter78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

has anyone fixed or put on a different petcock on a tank that as strip threads.
    put a bigger one on the outside or on the inside of the hole the tank is all painted
    so hoping for a fix
  2. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    yes me ! look restoration vintage 1980/1982
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Fixing a stripped petcock bung on a newly painted tank is a tough one. I don't think theres enough material on the 16mm bung to tap the inside and I wouldn't trust attaching a petcock to an epoxied bung. The only thing that comes to mind is turning the tank upside down and filling it with water to act as a heat sink then silver solder an oversized bung to the existing one, sliver solder is strong and melts around 800 degrees F compared to over 2000 degrees for ferrous metal. Maybe the addition of using a tig torch would keep the heat from moving to far beyond the bung. There are some 22mm petcocks and bungs on Ebay that may work in this scenario. Keep in mind that I'm far from being any sort of expert in tig or silver solder so further research would be prudent.
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  4. Thomas Husqvarna
    AA Class

5. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    If you are looking for a quick fix to get out riding, try an inline petcock. Not original looking, but this along with some good quality clamps will get you back on the trail/track. May want to smooth down any remaining threads with a jeweler's file and wet/dry sandpaper before attaching the fuel line.

Following Crashaholic and Thomas' advise will provide a more permanent solution.

ILFV - Copy.jpg

Clamp - Copy.jpg