Strange engine sound.

Discussion in '610/630' started by Mr0wyx, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Mr0wyx Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610
    Good day all!

Guys, can someone please give advice regarding strange waving noise coming from left side of the engine. Im not experienced with engines but trying to get into it. Maybe someone have experienced something similar? What can be cause of this sound?

Husqvarna SM610 2006

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNK1LMxC-Ko

Thank you!!!
  2. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    How many miles has the motor done?
    How many miles ago was the last service and what was done?
    Were the clearances checked/adjusted?
    What oil are you running in the motor?
    How for out is the cam chain tensioner?
  3. Mr0wyx Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610
    Thank you for your quick reply!

It has done ~24000km / ~15000 miles
    Last service was changing regular engine oil, oil filter (23000km) and no ideas about any previous services, cuz Im 3rd or even 4th owner.
    Clearances checked/adjusted not later than 15000km.
    Oil - Motul 10W60
    Cam chain tensioner was about 5 clicks if measure from fully in till chain.

Today called service they said it is most probably camchain. Said it should be changed every ~5000km. May it be the case?
  4. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    My SM610 has 12500 miles on the clock and im still on the original timing chain. If the CCT hasnt got many clicks out showing, then how can it be the cam chain causing the noise? Changing the cam chain every 5000km is ridiculous, im probably pushing my luck having not changed it at 10000 miles, but ive been monitoring it and its not showing signs of stretching.
    You checked the clearances at about 10000 miles so they are definitely due checking now.
    What condition is your clutch in? Have the cush spring washers ever been checked?
  5. Mr0wyx Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610
    I totally agree with you regarding cam chain. But already 2 persons said it is most probably it. And that its wear very much depends of how you ride that bike.
    I doubt that cush spring washers ware ever checked. But if it would be problem in it, wouldn't this noise be coming from right side of engine?
  6. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    Hi
    With a hot engine the noise decreases or increases?
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Just sounds like an engine with a few miles on it. I would check the tappets for spec and water pump for wear. Bottom end sounds ok, probably just a bit of piston slap.