1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Still Overheating

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by HuskyD, Aug 8, 2008.

1. HuskyD Husqvarna
    B Class

I have a 2005 TE 510 and last month I went to Colorado for a week long riding vacation. I had numerous problems with overheating and I was hoping you guys could give me some help. I have made the following mods to prevent overheating; engine ice, uptite Y, JD jetting kit and a trail tech vapor with temp gauge.

The area I was riding at was at 8000-1200 feet and I rejetted according to the JD kit specifications. But as soon as I would get into any tight stuff or where long uphills I would overheat. Heck one time on the highway, stuck behind a slow going truck I over heated!

I got soo mad about this I went to a local hardware store and found a computer fan and hooked it up. So when the trail tech showed that I was getting to 220 degrees I would turn it on and pray. It work fairly good, but still had to pull over a couple of times.

I'm located in the KC Missouri area and we are at about 800 foot elevation and I don't have a problem. One thing I didn't mention I have a IMS 3.9 gal tank that does limt air flow. What am I doing wrong :confused: Any help would be appreciated.

Daryl
  2. oldenuff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Overheating

Have you checked your water pump impeller.
  3. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

You say you're fine at 800 feet but not at 8,000-12,000 ft? Sounds like you leaned it too much for your high altitude ride.
  4. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Don't have an after market tank(yet) but I did overheat a few times with all the mods you have. I use my clutch a lot in the rocks, more then I should. I finally installed a fan for the 610 and have a manual switch for it on the bars. I have not overheated once since I put the fan on. Spoke to Dan at MotoXotica and it cost about $100 maybe a little more. The fan and the bracket from the 610 mounts right up really easy, just not sure it'll work with the IMS tank. I have been told it works fine with the Clarke tank. (Thx sharpie1)

Craig
  5. I put the Husky fan kit on my 510, it never overheats! I bet MotoXotica has the kit in stock and if you get a Clarke tank it will still work, not so with the IMS though.
  6. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

With a bit of mods you can get the fan to work with the IMS tank. Use a radiator brace and just weld on some mounts down below. Ive lowered my radiators an inch or so--thats another option.

Clutch work is the big no no.

Also--try Evans instead of Engine Ice.

If you really want to keep going--Barnum and I choke off the Y with a smaller hole to slow down the flow thru the radiators--big help.
  7. HuskyD Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will try Evans and I'm going to install a fan. Actually, a 25mm thick computer fan will fit between the radiator and the IMS tank. I have found one that has a CFM of 102 and it is only $20.00.

I will post some pics when I get it installed. Maybe I should just stay away from 8000 feet???
  8. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Sorry, your first post confused me, I thought you were having problems at 8000 ft. It now appears to me that this is a typo.
  9. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have an '05 TE510 that has little problem with overheating. It can get hot on real nasty, slow steep stuff, as any big 4-stroke can, but rarely looses any coolant.
    Majority of my trail rides runs from 3500ft to 6500ft

Not sure this will help, but for reference I have IMS 3.4 gal tank, Uptite Y pipe, running Engine Ice w/couple oz of Redline Water Wetter......no fan
    I put some sticky back heat shield under the tank, and have header wrap on my exhaust head pipe around up to muffler. (trying to help keep heat down for cooler carb/fuel)
    Current jetting is 180 main, stock needle at 3rd clip down, 45 pilot and 45 leak jet, Kouba brass fuel screw at 1.5 to 2.5 turns out depending on elevation/conditions.
    Might sound rich, but plug looks good and it seems to run very well thru the whole range (still can have a pop/die stall coming right off bottom when hot, but not often now)

During mid July did close to 300 miles of trail riding over 4 days, quite a bit of it tight/steep 1st/2nd gear trails in the 6000 to 9000ft range, temps started in the 50's, climbing to upper 80's, maybe low 90 by early afternoon.....was very dry.
    Gearing on the trip was 13/50 and average less than 14mph, including some 30-35mph dirt road connecting stretches....one short run up to 70.
    Each day I did add coolant, but never more than an ounce to keep catch tank level at about 1/3 full and that was it.