Still no Husky Factory Supported Race Team out west for 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by ajaxauto, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Did you buy a husky because you saw it in MXA?

Just wondering...

What about your second one? Did you buy it because you saw it in Dirt bike?

:D

Later,
  2. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    Something doesn't seem right here...there's no way that there will not be a sponsored rider(s) on the west side. Maybe somewhat scaled down from the previous team, but a complete drop?...hopefully the 'delay' part is right.

We'll be hoisting the 'Husky' banner again this year on the east side :thumbsup:: GNCC style, 4-stroke B lites.
    Official Husky support ride on the 2012 TXC250.

Very commendable on their part to invest in a grass roots type of rider. I would think good bang for their buck; good exposure. Decent investment on their part(which we are thankful for)...huge investment on my part; again. But you know I love it!

Hey...along with it comes the free advice of; Fred A, Fred H, Andrew, Jason, Joey and the cafe...what a deal!

Like mentioned in a post above...''Team AP515'' would be more than happy to test pilot/advertise your products for the upcoming year. The sponsor list is decent, but aways too short.

Looking forward to the new year...
  3. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    hey AP215, glad you are getting the help you deserve and that it is coming from Husqvarna.

I have not seen any official announcement yay or nay about Zip-TY, so that must mean something is still in the works, maybe something bigger. Would think if it was going to be cut would have already been announced by someone.

Been growing tired of being only husqvarna rider in the club so last week invited husqvarna dealer from atlanta (Bobby) and his fully wrapped Sprinter to club event, made a good impression. have a new contact in north carolina plan on adding next time.
    GP
  4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    wr,
    Be patient.... For years I was the only Husky rider in my club. In the last few years guys are either coming back (some left Husky at the Cagiva purchase) or trying Husky for the first time. More Huskys at club events these days! Try to make the NE Husky Gathering this year.... all Husky, all the time!
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Too, too bad here ... apparently bnw is not a racer company (no SM racing in EU in 012) or is it just America is not their playground?
  6. g_off Husqvarna
    B Class

One of the reasons I just bought a new Husky (instead of another KTM) was because of the contingency program. So far nothing there for 2012 either..
  7. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

8. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Smarta**, i bought it because i am terribly slow and i figured the odd brand would make others feel sorry for me :) Plus i knew i could bum parts off you!
    jmetteer likes this.
  9. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Personally i think there should be both west and east coast race efforts. And they should be both race testing bikes, and getting the name out. But it should be limited, and focused. Im sure there will be a west coast race effort, its just (another) hiccup. That said:

I dont think Husky is primarily a race bike here in the US. I think they are primarily a higher end dual-sport maker. Its a function of the (recent) legacy of Husky, the engineering of their platforms, the type of guys who buy Huskys, and their role as the inventor of 'street legal dirt bikes' in the US.

I think they have completely missed the boat over the last 8 years ive been with them, by failing to market themselves correctly.

They should focus on dual sport club rides, a Husky Riders Club, lots of aftermarket kitch like hats and umbrellas, and put their efforts into cultivating a loyal following based on the habits and likes of 30-50 something year olds, very few of whom race.

I say this an avid Husky racer. But also as a guy who has been putting on Husky rides in the desert/baja for years now. Husky still makes some great race bikes, but thats not who/why folks buy their bikes. For a variety of reasons (support, cost, networks, familiarity, dealer network, parts supply, aftermarket, etc.) unrelated to how fast our bikes are, they arent raced, and wont be.

Hondas are raced, by young dudes. Huskys are ridden, by old dudes.

And thats ok. Its time to accept this, and market to it.

Just my opinion. No need to freak out.
    Motosportz likes this.
  10. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

This has roughly been what I've been saying for a couple years now:
    Only a small percentage of bikes are actually purchased & ridden by Expert/pro racers - especially Euro WEC types. Yet husky seems to aim their engineering and sales to those guys, even though 98% of the bikes are sold to trail riders(occasional mid-pack racer) like myself, hackers, weekend warriors, DS riders etc.
    Husky is soooooo close, just a wider ratio trans away from becoming the go-to bike.
  11. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mike some good points BUT not all is correct Back in 1984 ATK sold street legal dirt bikes.
    But most of there bikes were for racing.Then Horst sold ATK to Kimtec who then sold it to some one in Utha.The owners in Utha turned the bikes into dual sports and quit racing look where they are today.
    Second there are more and more young racers showing up in the desert on Husky BUT once again most are racing the old proven plateform of a 2 stroke.Just this past weeken the first 4 Husky to finish were 2 strokes
    5th overall and first in class on a 2008 CR125 Cameron Kearney age 21
    17th overall and 4th in class on a 2011 WR 250 Nic Hamel age 26
    44th overall and 1st 125 am on a 2007 CR 125 Nic Garvin age 18
    49th overall 2nd in class on a 2010 Cr 300 John Kearney age 55
    Then the next Husky was a 4 stroke in 90th place and ridden by a guy who is 40
    Then a 4 stroke in 173 place ridden by a 50 year old
    Help out some of these kids on 2 stroke and Husky will see results

Husky could dominate the desert and all other types of off road racing with young guns if they were to but together a special offer to young guys who race the 125.Then as those guys got older and moved up they might just stay with Husky.Dual sport the 449/511 and then make the 2 stroke more avalible to the OFF ROAD racer .What is avalible for a young kid these days after they get off a 85cc bike most go to 250F and the cost keep some people away .
    Then as those guys got older they might just stick with the Husky brand
    twowheels and ray_ray like this.
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    hey man what about out west me on my old platform 450 4 stroke !!! good results in the ammie classes!
    I feel left out waaaaa.
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yep, you gotta bring in young blood to any endeavor .. the japan bikes built a base over time (~30 yrs) via racing (mx \ sx) ... The guys who rode the japan bikes way back then are still riding them AND what do the teenagers see advertised (raced) today on TV? japan bikes in mx and sx and the beat goes on ...

All those new streeters \ dual sports with the Husky name written smally somewhere on the machine and no gunsights, is a bmw thing to the max ... If that is the future ok but keep the parts coming on the dirt bikes..

Gitty Up there Rob! Those are good bikes ... I wish I owned one ...

Its starting to appear Cagiva left the Husky dirt bikes in very good shape for bmw to continue to sell and the few of us to ride ...
  14. MattS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 KTM 350 XCFW
    "Then a 4 stroke in 173 place ridden by a 50 year old" - That was me, my first race in six months and actually I'm 57 years old.:oldman:

I'd love to be racing a two stroke but I can only afford one bike at a time. I have to say that the more I ride my TE450, the more I appreciate how much better it is than the KTM I used to ride. No boil overs, plenty of power and good handling in stock form. Now I just gotta get in better shape to race it.:D

I do agree that new blood is needed and Husky needs to market bikes that appeal to the younger crowd in order to keep the brand alive and well. When I start riding KTM's back in '96, there really weren't that many at D37 events. Now all you see is orange. If BMW is willing to make a long term commitment to the dirt crowd, I think it's possible that Husky could become a much more common site at the races.
  15. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Way to go Matt I also have a TE 510 that I use to race but now since I went 2 stroke the 510 is used as my Dual sport.More bike then I can handle Stop by the 100s next race Are you going to Desert MC National
  16. socalsealkiller Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TC449SM
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 KTM 950SM, KTM 250SX
    Heard from a good source Ty is wanting to open a Husky dealership and is using Huskys on his adventure riding gig. But just wondering.....how many guys went out and bought a new 2011 or 2012 seeing race results? All I'm hearing is crickets. Racing is just another marketing tool to SELL NEW BIKES. I bought a new husky because I like the bike, not about what bike a racer rides. Have you ever seen a Zip Ty bike. Oh yeah. REAL close to what they selll...NOT.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Of course it's a tool to sell new bikes ... Products need to be presented to the public live if it is gonna sell ... Racing is live advertising... It works ... It has worked forever ... Works with bands also ... Studio recording just don't cut it ... You gotta take your act on the road ...

How did the japan bikes get a strangle hold on the markets back in the 70s and 80s that they hold to this day? Racing ...

Does the pumkin crowd do any racing? ... Do they support their product with any live advertising?

And I wish Ty good luck on his endeavors ...

PS -- Husqvarna has no race results on any scale EXCEPT SM in EU where they dominated but that was killed off this year ... The few, the Husky riders buy the bikes because we want them ... No race results and also low low sales ... Probably just a coincidence, huh...
    510 SM SC likes this.
  18. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think that the FAR Team has the potential to sell more Huskys than the Zip Ty Team does or did.
  19. MattS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 KTM 350 XCFW
    Unfortunately, my weekends are tied up until the Four Aces Moose Run - I'll be there for that. Love that race, loads of fun. I'll try to swing by.

Not to hijack the thread but do you still sell Ford Rangers or similar small trucks? My son is in the market - PM me if you have any extended cab models (he's tall and needs the leg room).
  20. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    I sure as hell would love to throw my hat back into helping Husky at the races...been doing so for about 30 years(not pro by any means).But it's time for the young guns to pick up the slack...and the fact I have nothin' left for a joint in my right knee and now the left is looking towards arthroscopic surgery, my riding has become more of a comedy act for those ridin' with me ! I will carry the Husky flag to my grave and hoped to be buried with my TRUSTY steed...and men,that you can bank on!!!

" I DON'T CARE WHAT OTHERS SAY..HUSKY RULES! ":applause:

Guscycle..:banana: