Step by Step air box and air filter modification

Discussion in 'TR650' started by drzcharlie, Mar 14, 2014.

1. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    So, as others have found out the air filtration system on this bike is poorly engineered. Others have led the way with the mod so I decided to do it. I highly recommend doing this. As my "How to" will show, YOU will find dirt in the air box. Credit for being pioneers to Nyjoytheride, Magoo, Quirky and Baddrapp. Thanks for the work and encouragement. "How to" write up here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23687271&postcount=3347

Credit to Quirky for the Parts list. You will find the list on ADV here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23630885&postcount=3247
    nycrider and Malcolm Jackson like this.
  2. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    Thanks for clearly illustrating! Can you tell me if the airbox in its original state was found to have other leaks or is the problem area confined to the OE air filter fitment?

Has anyone tried nixing the OE plastic filter holder on the door & affixing the OE filter in place by other means? I'm just going off of memory so maybe that was too much of a pita to make happen? :excuseme::cheers:
  3. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    How come the author did not just run the neck and pod filter without the airbox labyrinth?

It would make it relatively easy to remove to clean often right? Is there another reason?
  4. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
  5. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm the author and there isn't enough vertical clearance to get a filter with the correct CFM intake because of space restrictions.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Originally I was going to modify the inlet. Once I got my airbox apart found that there were more problems internally with design and fitment that allowed dirt get through, even if you could seal that stupid filter assembly.

It was a nice thought, but ended up with the pod mod.

DSC07958.JPG
  7. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I still think the UNI pod mod can be done without removal of the airbox. Wish somebody would try. :cry:
    PaulC likes this.
  8. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    It is not hard just a lot of screws and a couple of bolts. The mods to the air box go quickly.
  9. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Truthfully, you could do it with a hot knife. I just wasn't sure exactly where I was going to cut. From my pictures and those of Njoytherides you can see exactly where you would need to cut. The thing is that I do my own maintenance, all of it. Eventually I will have to adjust the valves and doing this mod allowed me to not only finally take care of the filter issue but it also gave me a lot of insight as to what I will need to remove to get to the head and do the valves. Yes, it was a lot of work. But hey, it was cold outside, I had nothing else to do so I did it the long way.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  10. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    is this pic what you are calling the "pod mod", or is it 90* elbow with filter attached?
  11. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    What is the purpose of cutting the air box lid?
  12. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    Sorry ''bout that, last w/e was like in the 80's took the TR up the Palm Springs side to Idyllwild, Baddrapp's 'hood, 5,500' still tee shirt wx :) .
    Baddrapp likes this.
  13. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    I think the air box is retained b/c it's needed to attach body bits. :)
  14. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's correct Run-it. The side plastics, fascia and Faux tank fascia all attach to the upper and lower air box halves. Clete the "Pod Mod" is this:

[IMG]

The purpose of cutting the air box lid is to allow access to the filter without gutting the bike again. With the lid cut you remove the screws from the left side plastics (the top ones) and two screws out of the cut air box lid and you can access the hose clamp on the silicone 90 at the throttle body. Pretty easy really. If you wanted you could use Gorilla tape to tape the cut back up but it would serve no useful purpose except to add a step when cleaning the filter. With the Pod in place you have a direct connection to the throttle body to the air filter. Voila' no dirt in the TB anymore.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  15. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    I see, thanks Charlie. Probably don't have to remove the front piece that the stock filter door fastens to either then.
    drzcharlie likes this.
  16. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hmmm, that is a good question Clete. I think I had to remove it to get the two halves apart. I will look when I go out to the shop.

Edit: there are at least two screws that must come out. I think the main reason is that it made the top half of the air box easier to remove since I didn't remove my fuel hose from the fuel pump. If that bit is done you may be able to remove the top half easy without removing the fascia.
  17. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    No, the pick with the pleated filter is what I was going to do. The pod mod is using the UNI pod filter and 90ยบ elbow.
  18. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Thanks Charlie and Mag00.
  19. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    hmmmm, I've done 3400k's through a lot of dust and I have often wondered about air filter system....so this freaks me. I just pulled out the air filter (prick of a thing) and the holder seal had broken where they had glued it together. It does appear to have a poor seal around the holder and also the filter itself. Suffice to say, I will stripping her down to see how much dust is inside the air box....fingers crossed there's none.

Can we have a show of hands from those who have checked their air boxes and what they found, to gauge the extent of this problem please?
  20. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    I have just removed the stock filter and found a significant amount of dirt behind it. Parts for this project are on order and I plan to do the job in the near future. I sure wish it wasn't such a big job but I plan to have this bike for a long time so it's important to get this done. Thanks DRZ Charlie for your work on this.