Steering Damper's for 08 610TE

Discussion in '610/630' started by North, Apr 3, 2009.

1. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    Were I ride, you can get into really rocky stuff all the time. Sometimes the whole ride is pretty much all rocks.:eek: :)

So I was wondering what everyone thinks about Steering Dampers for the 08 610TE.

What Damper if any, do you have.

Thanks

Rick
  2. Creeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kelly... a sponsor and contributor here on CH makes the Motosportz damper to fit your bike.

Click on the photo.

[IMG]

C
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Now that shows your BB code prowess :notworthy:

You must be a forum junkie! :cheers:
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  5. Creeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not so bad for a functional idiot. :oldman:
  6. tlking6 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Okay, did I read this right? Kelly, you have the dampners finished for the 08 610? The website still says 08's are still coming?
    The price is 460 and you throw in a cable? Time to start pulling the couch cusions and looking for change cuz all my 610 needs is a dampner to be perfect. Oh yeah, maybe some tractionators but thats it. :lol:
    Any chance of getting a underbar setup? I would like to raise my bars some.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Correct. I will fire my web guy now :D

K
  8. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Oh know, Now I see this. $$$$ My next order looks like it may top 4 digets if I get everything I whant....:cry::cry::cry:
  9. guymcfly Husqvarna
    B Class

I have to say, I used a Moto steering damper on the '07 Australian Safari...it had some truly horrible sections of sand; many over 100 k's long. Even the Dubai team had problems with it.

I ran a Motosportz steering damper and was really impressed with the quality and performance. They're as good, and in many was better, than any other damper available.
  10. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    care to elaborate?
  11. rajobigguy Administrator

Here is a copy of a review I did on the Motosportz damper.

Member Review
    I purchased a steering damper for my TE610 Husky and wanted to share my thoughts with everyone.

Although this report is pretty specific to the 610 I believe that much of it would be pertinent to other bikes.

Right out of the box there are a couple of things that I noticed.
    1. This thing is a work of art, gorgeous by any standard. The machining and finish is aircraft ( maybe areospace ) quality.

2. Very light weight. Actually it is surprisingly light. I would have thought that the additional hardware needed to adapt to a 610 would have made the unit heavy but it is probably one of the lightest dampers that I have ever seen.

Installation:
    Coming up with a clean mounting solution for the 610 took a bit of creativity on the manufacturers part. The 610 has almost no room between the gas tank and the head stock and until now the only viable alternative to mounting a damper was to purchase one from one of the other companies, change to an after market gas tank and do a bit of fabrication to mount the stationary pin. Motorsportz has come up with a clamp that attaches to the upper headstock mount and goes around the factory gas tank.

The damper itself is a relatively simple mount up. All that is required is to remove the two top handle bar clamps and install the damper mount in thier place. The damper is secured to the mounts by two screws in a sliding bracket. The stationary pin mount requires you to remove the gas tank and slip the yoke of the clamp over the nose of the tank and drop the tank back into position. There are a couple of things to watch out for here. It seems that Husky may weld the hold down bolt for the gas tank in a nominal location rather than a precision one. I would recommend doing a trial fit of the clamp without the gas tank in postion to make sure that the clamp is not rocking on any excess weld on either the headstock or tank hold down bolt. That was the case with mine but was easily rectified once I understood what was going on. It only took a few swipes with a heavy file to to smooth the mounting surface. I have since talked to the people at Motorportz and they said they would include a recommendation to do a trail fit in the instructions.
    That brings us to the next point which is dealing with the people at Motorsportz. What a great group of guys they have there, very helpful, they are real riders who understand what our needs are and share the same enthusiasm about bikes that we have.

Performance:
    It took a few days before I had the opportunity to get it dirty but in the meantime I did do some street riding and even there it made a difference.
    While the big Husky is a very stable bike to begin with, adding the steering damper allowed me to raise the fork tubes in the triple clamp to the next notch with out losing any high speed stability. Being able to tighten up my steering radius without losing high speed stability justifies the purchase all by itself but it doesn't stop there.

At lower speeds in the sandy stuff it is less of a fight to keep the bike pointed in the right direction and it tracks better in the rough at higher speeds. I tried bouncing sideways off some sharp edged obstacles and it is much less of a chore to recoup. Turn-in is much smoother and more predictable. It seems to have a non linear resistance built in to the sweep and gets progressively easier the farther away from center that you move.
    The adjustment is a single lever and can go from almost nothing to really stiff. I found that running mine in the midway point was about right for me. It probably has more adjustment than most people will ever use but I guess it might be nice to have in some situations.

Overall this is an outstanding unit and if you are looking for a damper you should consider Motorsportz.
  12. 04asphalt Husqvarna
    AA Class

"It seems to have a non linear resistance built in to the sweep and gets progressively easier the farther away from center that you move."

is this a pro or con?:excuseme:
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Pro.

We designed it that way. The further away from center you are the slower you are going and the less damping force you need. Makes it so you don't have to fight the bars in slow speed tight stuff. GPR and Scotts do this but go to a point and the damping just disappears. ours does it gradually as it goes to full lock. This allows a really nice feel to the damping action. We worked on this aspect of it a lot. When we first designed the damper we had piles of different ones with different internal setups and everyone liked this the best. It was unanimous and several of the testers did not know what was what just that they liked this one the best feel wise.
  14. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    So does it mount up the same as a scotts for a submount? Looking for compatibility with the HDB handguards as they're set up to take a scotts unit.

Of course I vaguely remember that the entire unit bolts down under the bars as a riser needing no other mounting..... is that right?
    Damn, I'm too young for CRS...........

15. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Up-tite is working on one for the 610/Scotts under bar mount as well. It could be available in a month or less.
  16. Doormandan Husqvarna
    A Class

This is what I did to my sub mount taken off my 07 TE250 when I sold it. I added to the tab on the Scott's and made a post that replaced the tank bolt. Perhaps not for everyone but I had all the parts already.

Dan L

Attached Files:

17. Hey Dan,

Any more details or photos?

Looks interesting.
  18. Doormandan Husqvarna
    A Class