1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Starting a '08 TE WFO

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MOTORHEAD, Dec 12, 2008.

1. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Can you guys with '08 TE's open you throttels WFO and get your engines to start ?
  2. neversurfaced Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nope, it just backfires.

Not supposed to give it any gas when you start with the EFI
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Thanks. I was just wondering how this is supposed to act. Since it's never been right I'm not 100% sure how it should be.

I've did this :banghead: so much with this bike, I think I've got drain bamage.
  4. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

just start it and think...current day automobile

you will need to have your idle set at 1600 min
  5. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Mine will usually start even without the choke. It is a pretty good idea to let it warm up for a few minutes so that when you take the choke off it idles smooth and doesn't die on the first stop light. I always blip the throttle a little with the shift into first.
  6. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    :confused: You lost me. :excuseme:

I'm not talking about a cold start, I'm talking like if it died on the trail can you juts hold the gas WFO, hit the botton and have it fire off WFO.
  7. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I wasn't either... you stop in for gas with your auto.. do you hold it WOT to start it ??? NO because you will flood the engine..

Doesn't matter if the engine is started cold or hot. No WOT upon start up.
  8. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mine will not start wfo after a stall out on the trail. It's all about patience and timing. I can usually have it started before I come to a complete stop and be going again in no time if I time it just right before hitting the magic button. Essentially, the starter motor is priming to fire up?!?!
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Easy FAST, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. :excuseme:

Mine has started WFO a couple of times, but it wouldn't the other day, so I was just wondering.
  10. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

sorry if I came across the wrong way.. wasn't my intention
  11. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    When I've killed mine by lugging it down too low, sometimes I have to give it a small amount of throttle while cranking for it to fire, otherwise it just cranks and cranks and so on.......Not WOT though. Or if I've got enough momentum I'll drop a gear and bump start.
  12. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    I see that you have a rekluse...so I think I get your drift...ie quick getaway...I remember the famous Joel Robert had a habit of fully testing the integrity of gearboxes in motocross starts..he would hold the throttle wide open..then snap it into gear with no clutch...he always made a good start..and the mechanics would always pray and cross there fingers too....apparently he developed this habit in the old days of "hand on your head starts"

however.......

Fuel injection systems are programmed to clear flood mode when the throttle is held to the stop wide open and cranking..this will essentially shut the fuel injector off...and allow a severely flooded engine a chance to start....

If you tried this with a hot engine...you likely wont get it to start....or possibly create a big backfire as the combustion will chase the vapour up the intake tract...

you could compromise I guess....say perhaps three quarter throttle...and I'll watch from a safe distance
  13. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

How do you know that the FI system on the Huskys has this or are you generalizing about fuel injection systems?
  14. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125

I have noticed in the husky manual that is does not state any procedure with regards to dealing with an engine flooding situation...but the manual is pretty vague on many issues.....

However..this logic has been built into fuel injection systems for a long time...I have never seen otherwise..bikes..or cars....its always been standard procedure

hmmm....hey fast1 have you heard otherwise????
  15. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Well, maybe I shouldn't say WFO, that might be a bit much. But, yes, I've had my bike start a few times in the past with the throttel open 1/4 or better. And yes, I was wondering if it was normal because it would be great for DES's ( dead engine start ).

The times it did start like that was a total rush! It would be a cool feature for the TE's. A "DES" button that made the FI system work as needed for a DES. Maybe when they take the TXC's to FI they'll have something like that, because most XC races are DES.

I don't know, but maybe the TXC's will start like that now? I've seen some vids of some guys getting awesome starts on the TXC's.

Again, I guess I should'a got a TXC. :banghead:
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    The early years of EFI on cars were painful but now cannot imagine not having it. Hopefully the bikes will "get there"....