Stained White Plastic!?!?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by FReQRiDeR, Jan 10, 2021.

1. FReQRiDeR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 SMR ITALIAN
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 888 SPO
    WHAT IN GOD’S NAME STAINED MY PLASTIC!?!?? Bike was left under front of my camper, under cover in Florida for a few months. Plastic is all stained now! I tried WD40, gas, brake cleaner??? Soft scrub, magic eraser to no avail? Haven’t tried bleach yet... Could it be aluminum oxide? Acid rain? Bike was stored outside in California for year or so and never got stained like that. Also under my camper? What is the best cleaner or are my plastics trashed? Looks horrible!

Attached Files:

2. FReQRiDeR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 SMR ITALIAN
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 888 SPO

SOLVED! Bleach and Magic Eraser FTW! WoooHooo!

Attached Files:

3. gaz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Happy days, I wonder what causes that muck in the 1st place. Perhaps mould or something organic. I see traces of it sometimes on white bits and the magic eraser and spray and wipe deal with the problem before it goes viral like yours did.
  4. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    looks like a form on mildew.
  5. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    It's something about the type of plastic used, here's a 80's fender 50/50 side by side pic.
    The plastic is slightly porous & the sun, acid rain whatever turns into crud.
    husky_fender_1.jpg
    steadydirt likes this.
  6. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    exactly. many plastics are very porous. esp., the cheap containers for poison in the hardware store. if it is shinny it is leaking through the container. corn starch, clay, potatoes all kinds of things that are cheaper than plastic resins are used to 'extend' production and lower costs.
  7. The Old Husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 610, 1990 EML Husqvarna
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 TM MX125
    The only time i saw this was in a farmer shed in the Netherlands were a Yamaha YZ125 was stored for years. I talk 6 or 7 years It was dust burned in by the sun. Replace it was the only thing we could do. But i cant say if the circumstances are the same, and if the plastics of today are still te same as what Yamaha used in a 1984 machine. Oddly, not the tank, which was easy to clean like you clean the bike as usual. Also the red plastiek like the radiator cover? (how is that called?) and the seat cover were easy to clean. It only affected the white plastiek.
  8. The Old Husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 610, 1990 EML Husqvarna
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 TM MX125

Bleach is actually chlorine. So according to that it must been a kind of mold.