1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Squealing Brembos?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firedog55, Dec 14, 2014.

1. firedog55 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 CR150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yam WR450F, Tri. S3, BMW K12, VTR
    I went for a ride yesterday on my '14 CR125, nothing radical, just some easy single track in rocky SE Missouri. Not even muddy. After about an hour my front brake started squealing like a KTM, mostly on down hills.

The pad looks good with lots left, the rotor is not grooved or warped. Is this permanent with Brembos ?

Has anyone tried Permatex Disc Brake"Anti Squeal"? It's a spray that goes on like paint on the back side of the pads (caliper side). I've used it on car disc brakes and it seems to work.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    juicypips, Oldscool, Petar and 2 others like this.
  2. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    my Brembos on my 99 are doing this too
    the difference is mine are either all or nothing
    plan to replace the pads to see if the problem stops
    typical it means they are not wearing and engaging properly
  3. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300

Nice cr125 firedog.
    My 2014 cr125 did the same thing in the first 2 hours, just on downhills. I haven't ridden it since. Maybe I'll try your Permatex stuff.
    I hate squealing brakes.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Nice looking woods and bike there ...

Probably just dirt or grit on the pads ... Did you remove them and swipe them clean? Its an easy job removing them really and I never used that brake squeal stuff ...My brakes squeal from time to time and I give them time to fix themselves before I start working on them, depending on how bad the sound is.

--

There is 1 issue that can happen to your brakes that you might wanna check for .... That caliper must float on the 2 large pins that are on the piece that bolts to the bike. If the caliper sticks on those pins, it will not line up correctly on the brake disc and can squeal maybe and cause wear to the disc to the point it will cut thu the disc over time. This does not sound like your issue, but check this when working with the brake.
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    hmmmm southeast MO looks a lot like southwest MO :thumbsup:
  6. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    When mine started doing that I pulled the pads and scuffed them up with some 50 grit emery and they've been fine since.
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Scuffing them will help but if it was mine I'd let them squeak. There are different kinds of brake material and typically the loud squeaking material stops the best and lasts the longest. Some materials don't stop very well until they get good and heated up, this usually is when they get loud as well.

BTW nice bike, that looks like somewhere around Flat River aka St Joe's State Park.
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Yep on all that above and these brakes work very well on all my Huskies with not much more than 1 finger tip ... I don't do stoppies but these brakes make it quit possible...

--
    The outlaw Josey Wales was from MO?
    Oldscool likes this.
  9. firedog55 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 CR150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Guys,
    Thanks for the replies. The bike is due for a little maintenance anyway, oil change etc. I'll give the pads a look as suggested. I thought this was unusual as the conditions were hardly muddy. Most times I've ridden the bike it was covered in mud and water and the brakes were quiet. I still might try the "Anti Squeal" since I have a can just sitting on the work bench.

My riding buddy who is also the service manager at a Chevrolet/Cadillac dealership told me that what makes disc brakes squeal is brake dust/grit that gets between the pad and the caliper pistons, and the "Anti Squeal" fills in the gap so grit can't. Makes sense.

"The outlaw Josey Wales was from MO?" Yes, he was one of our finest citizens.;)

"BTW nice bike, that looks like somewhere around Flat River aka St Joe's State Park." Yes, it was lovely Saturday, 50 degrees, dry but still good traction. I live 15 mins. from the park, so I ride there mostly, or on my buddies 500 acre farm/woods.

Thanks again for the replies.
    lankydoug likes this.
  10. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Yep. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075029/

It was on last night. Ever notice the plot of "The Outlaw Josey Wales", "The Gauntlet", and "Sudden Impact" are the same? Sondra Locke gets raped and Clint Eastwood kills a bunch of people. I suppose you stick with what works.
  11. firedog55 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 CR150
    Other Motorcycles:
    What I liked best was the "Missoura Boat Ride" and the chewing tobacco spitting, Clint was deadly accurate with that. Sondra Locke is a dog.
  12. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR250; 2012 TE449; 2005 TE450
    To the snake oil salesman, "Hows it work on stains?".
    Mike-AK likes this.
  13. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    If you glaze the pads they will require more force to stop, and squeal. Scuffing them will take the glaze off and increase their effectiveness.
  14. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    That depends on the kind of material the pads are made of and also which side of the pad is making the noise. Most of the time the squeaking is coming from the steel backing where it contacts the caliper piston. It is similar to a slate turkey call in that it is rubbing back and forth a very small amount metal to metal. Bendix and Raybestos brake companies both claim that the smoother and flatter the rotor and pad is the better the stopping force. They grove and bevel the pad for water distribution and noise prevention also the bevels help the pad during break in but do not help the stopping power. The scuffing is recommended to remove foreign particles from the surface of the pad... like ground in dust. Scuffing does not increase stopping power because it's scuffed but might help because you're removing impregnated dust and dirt and give the pad a second chance to break in without setting up a noise harmonic. The softer brake materials are less likely to make noise and usually work better at lower temperatures but the expensive pads are harder and work better when heated up and are also prone to making noise, wearing the rotor more and last a lot longer. Mechanically the squeaking does not effect the stopping power and I personally could care less if my brakes squeak on a race bike which is why I said what I said about leaving them to squeak.
    justintendo likes this.
  15. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    My 300's brakes squilled bad one day. Coming down some mtn singletrack miraculously aftercominv to the very bottom of the ride and after rounding very last switchback my front brakes gave out. I was always lazy about changing fluids out. Since then i have been paranoid as hell and put nothing but the very best most expensive brake fluid i could find and i change out my fluids now every 6 months. I missed going off a cliffside and dying that day by feet. Not saying its your issue but something to consider for sure
    jmetteer likes this.
  16. firedog55 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 CR150
    Other Motorcycles:
    firecrotch-Thanks for the advice, I'm meticulous about maintenance/changing fluids. I learned that habit years ago when I drove/operated Seagrave 100' aerial ladder trucks for a living.
  17. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Mine squeal halfway through the day on a dusty ride. Pull em, scuff them up a little with some sandpaper, back to quiet for a little while.
  18. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    squealing is almost always pad vibration. that is why the spray on tack you apply to back of pads works on cars. you are basically gluing it so it doesnt vibrate. what the dealer guy said about the permatex filling in and stopping the grit is not really the right idea, but hes right that the permatex works. i have torn down many many brakes and not really ever noticed dirt behind the pads on pavement operated vehicles
    sometimes when machining rotors they squeal and there are damping pads that clamp on to stop the vibes.
  19. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Mine will do it now and again. Usually more noticable on slower technical trails. I've never scuffed them, but always tell myself it is about time, then quickly forget. My noise is closer to moan...kinda like Flipper in heat.
    268fords likes this.
  20. firedog55 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 CR150
    Other Motorcycles:
    What lankydoug and justintendo said about the pad to piston clearance is correct. After I read the instructions on the can completely it said the same thing. So far so good, no squeal on the downhills.:)
    justintendo likes this.