1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Spoke replacement

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by shawbagga, May 21, 2016.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Got a few seized rear spokes(have bn for a few years tbh) on 300. Any secrets/tips for replacement? Was gonna take to shop but should learn n save the $! Got new SS spokes n nipples ready to go hopefully they r rite!
  2. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    If they are seized, try using quality penetrating oil/spray and apply a over the course of a week nights to let them soak through. Then, with luck, you should be able to unscrew them.

As far as truing...l've got a truer at home and have used them on bike rims and the odd occassion on the WR360 rim but l'm crap at but you need a stand that that has contacts on each side as the cheapo stands with on contact point isn't accurate enough as you need to find the high and low point of the buckle. How crap, tried straightening a buckle on my Wr250 front rim and whilst l got the sides fairly true, it was off centre.

If your a muso or played any musical instrument, you can a guitar tuner or music app this to get the correct pitch of your spokes as your ...sounds weird but my old mechanic taught me to use your ears as each pair of spoke should be at the same note therefore correct tension if the wheel is straight in the first place...have used this method ever since.

OR

You could buy a spoke torque wrench and be spot on:thumbsup:
  3. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    If u replace em one by one(tighten one on one side then do another on other side) will I need a truing stand still? Wheel is pretty true ATM aside from few dings in rim so not worried bout side to side or up down jus replacing the spokes so they won't flog out hub. Probly half a dozen tops need replacing.

Tried oil/wd40/silicone spray but they fooked! Tried grips on spoke to hold but no good. Maybe a careful grinder job?!

Hmmm maybe a shop job
  4. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    shawbagga likes this.
  5. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    I just replaced them one by one. I also used bolt cutters to cut the spokes. Make sure you re tighten the spokes after you ride it. I also put a drop of loctite on each after the re tighten
    shawbagga likes this.
  6. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Cheers Doug. Did the wheel stay true chef doin it your way?
  7. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Just watched the video. Sounds easy enough, what could possibly go wrong??
    I did notice though he stated tighten every fourth spoke but he actually tightened every third one. Anyone else see that?
  8. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    You can get away with using car stands on top of bricks and run a pipe through the hub to spin freely, no you don't need a truing stand but makes life easier - of course you could mount it on the forks and use that t spin freely, just lock the bars in!!

If you didn't live on the other side of Oz, you could have popped over and l'd give you my old steel bar with cones and bearings that l used for balancing my road rims which is what l use the truing stand for really!!
  9. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Honda wheels every 4 rest every 3(divisible of total spoke number 32 or 36). Apparently
  10. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    Yes, the wheel stayed pretty true. The only problem was that I didn't tighten the spokes after my first ride. My 5th ride on it was in an enduro and after the first section my buddy signalled me to pull over. My rear wheel was flopping all over the place. Every spoke was loose... Really loose, about 5 were completely off the nipple. I re tightened everything trail side and kept going. Good thing there was a mousse in the back. Unfortunately I seized a ring in a piston a few sections later. Then I was left in the bush for 5 & 1/2 hrs in snow and sleet. Ended up with pneumonia. Just getting over it now...
    That was a bad day!
  11. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I've done it both ways, replacing spokes one or two at a time and also doing them all at once. I find that either way it's best to go light on the spoke tension and tighten them up in 3 or more steps as you true the rim. Brand new or used rims are rarely true but you can easily true them by pulling the the rim straight by tightening one side slightly more than the other. If the spokes are fairly tight and the rim still isn't true it's best to loosen some spokes as opposed to over tightening. I've used the bike for a truing stand for years but this year I finally bought a Tusk truing stand because my friends were often asking me to true their rims and install Tubliss systems for them. It makes it easier to do because I can true the spokes up on a work bench and not be crouched over the whole time. This allows be to be more patient and drink a few beers as I work. Once you get the rim true if you check it every ride for a few rides the spokes will seat in and once seated not need attention for years.
    NCSteve likes this.
  12. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    I should have said I'm only replacing 6-8 spokes in total that are spaced around the rim. I mite jus have a go at replacing one at a time(tension up then do next) as remaining spokes should keep rim straight right?! shop said $50-$60 which not too bad I guess
  13. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Do it right do it once. Replace all the spokes then take it to the shop to true up...

Oh and it wasn't me I've been out of your country for a year now so there is no way that kids mine!!!
    shawbagga likes this.
  14. Claybilly17 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 450 SXF
    Where is the best place to find aftermarket spokes....? I can't seem to find any other than the salty OEM
  15. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Talon or did probably do them. Just measure your spokes and order the correct length and number.
  16. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    I just searched ebay under all the husqvarna models with same wheel. Scored an open packet(was missing a couple of front spokes from memory) of SS ones from pomgolia for cheap. They did stooge me by not including all the nipples but I didn't need them all anyway & still have a heap of spares.
  17. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Them pomgalons, you give me their address an I go sort em for ya Shawry!