1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Splitting A Wr430 Case For New Bearings Etc.

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by mcjongs, Sep 26, 2018.

1. mcjongs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    HL500
    Hi I'm relatively new to the forum and have some questions:

I'm overhauling a 1983 WR430 engine and have some difficulties with splitting the block halves.. What is the best way? Using a retracting tool to press out the crank from the right side?

I also have a question re. using a CR430 crank/rod assy from a 1986 CR in the WR engine.
    I see that the small end of the conrod is more tiny with kind of cut outs for better lube?

My plan is to put this engine into a 1984 WR240 (air cooled) that I recently bought.

Happy to get some info here..

Kind regards
    mcjongs
  2. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
  3. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    Also, use as WIDE a small end bearing as will fit in the piston gap. No thrust washers on primary kick bikes over 250cc

Doesn't matter if you split cases either side but re-assemble into the left half and don't forget the 2mm spacer on the right of the crank!
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The slot on the left end of the crank is the drive for the water pump. You may have to cut off the extension and make the stub like the one in the air cooled crank if you have the aircooled clutch cover.

You can also use a universal case splitter that will work on any case set. Tusk makes a good one.
  5. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    And please note. Dont press your bearings in or out. They are a heat shrink fit. Heat your cases and bearing with a tap will fall out. Heat your cases again and set them in the main bearings having the backing ring plates installed. Most would be surprised on how little the percentage of the bearing bores really are sunggly touching the bearing.Treat those case bores well. More details if needed.
  6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Heating should be in an oven 300° F and not done with a torch . You do not get even temp around the bearing and far too easy to overheat the case.
  7. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    This is the quote from the engineers for the typical bearing fit in a standard bore, Imagine if the last party spun a bearing or worse yet just pressed out his bearing from case taking some much needed materal with it. "Typical interference fit has 30% metal-to-metal contact."
  8. mcjongs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    HL500
    Time go by..
    Now I have a new engine to put to gether..
    A WR430 block and crank & piston but wonder if I could use a WR240 gear/transmission & Clutch?.. I ask this as I have a complete WR240 engine to take parts from..
    Also the bearing numbers for all bearings?

Huge vibrations.. is it possible that rear bushing contains rubber dampening between the block and swing arm bolt/pivot?
    The engine I have in now vibrates so much so that the carb ''produce'' air bubbles around the main jet.. with piston zeising as a result..

Thanks in advance.

Jon
  9. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I would say you can switch the primary drive gear on the crank, the starter gears, the clutch and transmission. Less depending on the years of host and donor.

No rubber mount at the rear. The swingarm pivot hole can be worn in the frame and engine insert. The crank may have issues?
    mcjongs likes this.
  10. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Make sure the carb body is not touching the engine cases, anywhere. This can cause the fuel foaming that you are experiencing. If you still have excessive vibration with correct and tight engine mounts, then you'll have to have the crank inspected to make sure that it's as true as possible. It's easy to knock the crankshaft out of true if the disassembly or reassembly is not correct.
    mcjongs likes this.
  11. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650

Getting ready to do two motors now. One is already apart and needs the crank serviced.
    Your rod kits looks amazing!! What are the specs? Who makes your Pistons are they Wossner? Are they cast or forged?
  12. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650

I used the 1st-3rd gears from a '87 250 in this "87 430 that I'm doing now. Reason for rebuild is vibration. Worked awesome in the tight single track and had nice high gears for the road. Running 15/54 sprockets. I was planning on using the same set up again but traded some 430ae parts for a fresh bottom end as I turn it into more of a plated Dual Sport bike. Goal is to have a left kicker for every occasion!! lol

IMG_2696.jpg