Spike wheels and abs strada

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Andrew P, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Was wondering if anyone put a set of spoke wheels on a strada so the abs can be used off road? I have to turn my abs off when I run my terra spoke wheels and it’s kind of a pain. How would I go about getting a set of wheels the same dimensions as the mag strada wheels?
  2. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Just need a Terra hub or a compatible one from some BMW's and lace a 19" rim to it. Or you could just get the 21" Terra wheel and a tone wheel (abs ring) and run that.
  3. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    The Terra was sold in a number of countries with ABS. The ABS terra wheels fit without issue on the Strada.
    Might be easier to look for one of those. The rear will also fit a Sertao ABS spoked wheel.
  4. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb
    "I have to turn my abs off when I run my terra spoke wheels and it’s kind of a pain"
    Why do you have to turn off the abs if you don't want to? I understand many people feel they have much more control with it off, but I don't understand why YOU have to turn it off?

"How would I go about getting a set of wheels the same dimensions as the mag strada wheels?"
    You would lace up a 19" rim to your front terra hub and a 17" rim to your rear.

My strada came with woody's wheels built with bmw hubs (21"F+18"R) and the ABS worked fine. I don't know if the tone rings are different for the different models but I put strada sized wheels on my bike with those tone rings that were on the 21"+18" wheels and the abs has always worked.

(shameless plug... my Woody's excel rim, bmw hub, stainless spoke wheels are for sale in nyc)
  5. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I HAVE to turn my abs off because whenever I put on the front brakes, it just shutters like the abs is coming on when it doesn't need to be. How does one go about getting a tone ring?
  6. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb
  7. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    So the same tone rind should be working with a bigger wheel on the front?
  8. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb
    According to the parts fiche, yes. Don't forget to use both, front and rear.
  9. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Hmm because everything was working fine with the mag wheels, but the second I switched to the spokes I started having the issue? Don’t want to spend the money to have the same issue?
  10. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I think I may have found the issue. Is this a picture of the ring on the wheels? I think I forgot to swap the ring over. Does the rear have one too?

Attached Files:

11. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    yes it does. Drives the speedo. 13-husqvarna-tr650-30.jpg
  12. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Update, so turns out the spokes do have the tone ring on... wonder why the abs only works on the mags? Can I swap the tone rings from the mags?

Attached Files:

13. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

i could be wrong but terras were made in two flavours, abs and non-abs. The abs version had 21" and 17". The non-abs had 21" and 18" with only one rear tone ring.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  14. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Yeas that’s correct they made 2 flavors. Best thing I can think of is that the hubs are different diameterss? To the eye they look the same. If you look at the pictures I posted, looks like the front and the rear have the tone ring?
  15. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    If you want ABS you need the wheels off a BMW Dakar if you're in North America, the Terra was sold with an 18" rear in NA but ABS will only work with the 17".