speedo question

Discussion in '610/630' started by ddub9, May 22, 2009.

1. ddub9 Husqvarna
    B Class

I have LED blinkers, edge tail light, and a HID head light installed. Since, I've installed the HID light, on my speedo display as the RPM's increase I get the word "max" and a battery indicator flash up on my screen continuously as I ride.

anyone know why this is happening?
  2. Hoopdy Husqvarna
    B Class

After my first dash shat itself and it got replaced under warranty the second dash now does this bat light thing !
    Dealer said it just means the bat is charging! it goes out when I turn on my headlight.
    post up some details of your HID headlight mod etc I need to do something with mine
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Hopefully one of the 610 experts chimes in but my hunch is there may not be enough load on the circuit. The 610 stators put out a lot of power. And the indicator may be showing a over voltage condition.
  4. ddub9 Husqvarna
    B Class

i was thinking the same thing about the circuit not having enough load.

well now my speedo is displaying 0 for the speed but everything else works (ie. tach, odo). i unhooked my battery which reset the computer which worked for about 20 mins then back to 0 again....
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Please back off on the throttle and lower the front wheel so it touches the ground :D

On a more serious note... I'd put a voltmeter on the battery and a few other things - your instrument cluster could be having problems because of the (theoretical) overvoltage situation.
  6. ddub9 Husqvarna
    B Class

well i unhooked my battery again. rode all day and the speedo was working fine except that max battery issue.

if there is less load and the stator is putting out the same amount of power... why would that be an issue?
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Personally I would not run a bike without a battery connected. If your battery is disconnected and you are getting the warning light that might be a good indication to connect the battery.

The stator puts out a lot and can run many accessories like heater grips and big lights. Voltage regulators can only do so much and are designed with a specific source (stator) and load (lights, grip heaters, etc) in mind. If there is too light of a load the regulator may be operating outside of the design parameters i.e. cannot keep the voltage in range. Another 'load' is the battery, without the battery the voltage may go very high. The battery acts as an excellent capacitor (filter) and smooths out the noise in the electrical circuit.
  8. ddub9 Husqvarna
    B Class

sorry i wasnt too clear. i unhooked the battery to reset the computer. i connected the battery back when riding.
  9. ddub9 Husqvarna
    B Class

so i think i see why the max and battery are flashing up on the speedo. i put a voltmeter to my battery while the bike was running and its reading 14.8+ volts consistently. So I think there's an overvoltage. Any ideas on what i should do to fix it?

i guess i could put a larger load on the circuit by putting something else on? I dont really feel like putting resistors in or putting the stock halogen bulb back in.
  10. rajobigguy Administrator

I wouldn't be to concerned about it. You're battery is capable of a sustained 15 volt charge. A lot of us with 610's see the overcharge indicator glowing most of the time with no ill effects.
  11. ddub9 Husqvarna
    B Class

thanks for the advice i was going crazy trying figure it out. i tried plugging back in my halogen light and the max battery indicator came off. however, the voltmeter was reading basically the same voltage as when the HID was plugged in. With 14.8 to 15.2 voltage readout on the voltmeter. I dont know if you say its ok and a slight overvoltage wont kill my instruments i think i'll live with a little thing flashing on my speedo.