spark plug cap.

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Robin93, May 6, 2015.

1. Robin93 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm510r 06
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawasaki zx6r 04
    Hello.

I wonder if anybody her could help me.

If got a 510 SMR 06.
    While i was working on a piston change i was un luckie, I pulled off the sparkplugg wire from the spark plug cap. And i don't know how to fix this ?

Iv talked to some freinds of mine, and they told me it's had to be turned down again and it would be okay, but i don't se any threads ? And i wonder if maybe i could soldering it ? has anybode done this before ?

Regards Robin93
  2. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    There should be a stud inside the center of the cap that you push/turn the cap back on the wire and the stud makes contact with the wire in the center of the plug wire . Usually I would trim a small amount of the end of the wire where the stud previously was inserted for a tighter fit . If you can not see the stud you have a different type of cap or the stud has burned off and you need to buy a new cap . Hopefully some others will chime in on this if I am wrong , but I feel confident that you have the same type of plug cap that I have been seeing on bikes for years . So yes I believe your friend is correct .
  3. Robin93 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm510r 06
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawasaki zx6r 04
    This is my cap inside. I tried to soilder it, but it wouldn't start after i soilderd... i unsoilerd it for a closer look. I can't se this thread on my old aswell...

Attached Files:

4. Robin93 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm510r 06
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawasaki zx6r 04
    more pics.

Attached Files:

5. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    I'm not sure what your trying to do but I know that the cap on your stock ignition coil wire can be replaced. The end of the spark plug cap that the wire comes out of normally has a thin stud with a point on the end in a recessed area that you push turn into the center of the wire core and twist usually clockwise to tighten back into the cap .The wire is cut flush with the insulation not sticking out the end as you show now , before you push/turn into the stud/cap . If that's not what you have/had then I would say that someone has changed the cap to something other than stock set-up. Again I may be wrong but looking at the parts fiche for your bike it looks the same as what I've been trying to describe.

I believe that the caps may also be a specific resistance for noise suppression also which means by the looks of yours you should probably be looking to purchase a new one at this point .
  6. Robin93 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm510r 06
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawasaki zx6r 04
    i dont know what's oem for this bike. But i think i go to my local motocycle dealer and buy my self a new cap with strud on. I don't understand how this crap i got from my husky dealer shold be conectedo...
    i look at the coil and i saw this strud everyone talks about...
  7. kongo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    smr 510r
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawasaki zx 10
    Question, Does anyone know what size of spark pug cap to order ?? got a new coil but my cap didn't have the srew in the middle.
  8. jack topper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, yamaha, suzuki, Indian, Kawas

Check ebay for the R90 rubber cap that's offered by 'skipsoldbikes'. It has the screw post, is non-resistor so it works well with magneto ignitions, has a sealing clamp and is sized to fit 7-mm ignition wire; $5 ea., U.S., free shipping. He also has the 7-mm randed copper solid core ignition wire for a buck a foot if you need it...
    jt
    oldbikedude likes this.
  9. jack topper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, yamaha, suzuki, Indian, Kawas
    Make that "...stranded..." in my previous post; the wire isn't randy at all :D (absolutely HATE that auto-complete feature...makes me look like an idiot!!)