1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

So is Pro-Form the best pipe out there?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by highdez1981430cr, Dec 1, 2009.

1. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Whats the hot set up as far as a pipe for my 1981 430 CR?
  2. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

When I made my 390 into a 420 the service bulletin that came with the kit had a spec for modifying the stock pipe. If I remember right it was to add about 2" to the horizontal part of the head pipe. Made it a torque monster. Might look at some factory performance mods bulletins. I'm building my own pipe this winter fo my 82-430, we'll see how it works?
  3. HuskyT Moderator

Do you still have the 390/modified 420? Did you use the 420 Auto piston?

The service bulletin for this conversion is in the tech ref section under service bulletins and it clearly defines the pipe cut.

I'm interested in more of what it did to your bike? I have a '80 cr390 motor and want to do the mod on it. What can I expect before and after?

I'm planning on riding this bike at both Glen Helen and Cahuilla... both tracks with monster size hills and big straight starts.... I want a motor that hits hard all the way through...

Thoughts?

T
  4. HuskyT Moderator

I thought it was to cut out and remove 40 mm?
  5. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

No the 390/420 is long gone. Sold it in 85, last saw it with a set of chrome rear shocks on it-short ones at that! Leaning against a carport wall. Should of rescued the most reliable bike I ever owned. If I remember right my bike was a OR but had a CR pipe on it. I bought it in 82 from the local Husky dealer- it was his own bike. When it needed a fresh top end he talked me into the 420 kit. I think we lengthened the head pipe for more torque but now I'm not sure- I was 16 in 82! It was pretty radical as a 390 in powerband but the 420 made it like a tractor-a big one at that. I raced a few hare/hounds with it and it would outpull the CR480's esp. in the sand. I think it was quicker on the motocross track as a 390 but I'm sure it had also had some port work done to it also. Making a 420 out of it did take some of the vibration out of it-very smooth. I just got an early shop manual from him- he sold bikeshop in 83 and looking thru it the other night I found the 390 race bulletin in it for that bike but I let the 420 bulletin go with the bike. I have been looking for that bike for the last couple of years, friend who is a big yard sale nut said he saw a black tanked Husky leaning up against a shed at a yard sale a few years back-of course he doesnt remember "were". I'll have to look at that bulletin (420) I'm dealing on a one owner 82-420 Auto right now, he put plastic desert tank on it from day one-orig is in desert tank box. cant hardly stand it. Sorry for the hijack.
  6. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

No problem,
    Just put $20 in the hijack kitty and we are good.

So,

Is Pro-form the hot set up for pipes for early 80`s 430?
  7. race-desert Husqvarna
    AA Class

I seen this thread going on for a while- I had a pipe build by eric at pro-form (macios only) it was for a 78 390,could not find another sole that made one for 78 style frame-found a few for the 79 and up frame.. so i talked on phone and ordered one made up and got a call three weeks later and picked it up, and she was a work of art if you like old school factory pipes. now there was a problem with the head pipe size and one of the mounting tabs under the seat was not there- with a call to eric there was noting but disapointment from his side and since i had picked the pipe up in person he ask if i could bring him the bike so he could fix head pipe and make tabs. was sitting at his place when they opened on a sat. and the took it right in and fixed prolems , then we talked about selincer and he made one with all the stock mounting points inculding the number plate tab, was out of there by noon. I am very happy to have a after market pipe that has all the mounting tabs plus the stock rear number plate tab. Eric's shop was very helpful in getting it right(I didn't even get rocks thrown at me for wheelin a husky through there shop of macios). For us so. cal.dez. poeple his shop is in ontrio just over the hill.... I lost all my pics on my computer of my husky. but did post pic on this site i think the link is below...thats my two cents.........

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8544#post8544
  8. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Now that`s the kind of responce that i was looking for!

Your two cents are worth a lot more than that,what did you think of the Maico only shop?

I love the pics of those 490 spiders on the web site.
  9. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do you remember what he charged you for just the pipe?

If you had to do it all over again would you have just dropped off the bike so Eric could double check clearances and mounting tab locations?

Thanks Race-Desert, we may be getting snow this week.

What elevation are you at?

Darrell
  10. race-desert Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think it was $250.00 for pipe and 75.00 for selincer. personely I would take bike to him with selincer your going to use and know your getting it done right with only one trip--- were at 3000' out here by cal city already got snow in the mountains by jawbone canyon.
  11. 1983XC175 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just got off phone with Eric Cook (Pro form Pipes). He said he needs a bike in his shop build new pipes. Does anyone have a 83 250 Husky that could drop their bike off for him to build a protopipe pipe and silencer?
    Thank you
    Bill
  12. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Since you seem (198xc175, not the origional poster) to be in Md, There is dyno port about in the center of New York state if you are going to go the custom pipe route. A number of years ago I corresponded with him about building a 500 water cooled pipe for hillclimb competition. He does make liquid cooled 400,430,500 high volume pipes for retail. It cost at that time around $500 not including the silencer. You have to bring the bike and then pick it up later like you state. I never did it but he has made some kawasaki tripple pipes for bike with extended front end so you could come out straight for quite a while. I know he has written a few articles about the hazards of moto cross tracks like having doubles instead of table tops and folks getting severely injured. Is a custom pro form pipe really only $250? There are computer programs to make pipes from what I understand that basically print out templates and you cut sheet and make a whole bunch of little cones and weld them together. There are half a dozen or so of them around in amateur hillclimb not sure where they go or what they spend, got to be over $500 I would think. Not to be spamming in search of work (feel free to copy my technique) I have a bunch of copper fittings to solder into the ends of pipes and a carbon dioxide bottle and regualtor to put pressure in. After all the cracks are repaired the dents can be blown out. getting a pipe to fit after might be a bit touchy but those air cooled pipes stay in the middle of the front and don't take the type of damage a water pumper one which stays low and goes out on both sides does.

Fran
  13. 1983XC175 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi fran, thanks. I may go the Dynopart route. I spoke with Jemco and he said he could build me a trick pipe for my 175 if i sent him the old 1.
    Thank you for the info.
  14. Rathers Husqvarna
    A Class

I hope someone has a 83 250 that proform can use, they could use mine but I am in the UK :doh:

If anyone else knows where you can get a pipe for this model, please let me know.

Cheers, Rathers
  15. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    I thought pro-form was in Maryland? Who's shop is in Ontario, CA.?
  16. HuskyT Moderator

Pro-Form ( Eric Gorr) is based in Ontario, California

He has a franchisee in Maryland. MaicoEast

Hope this clears it up.

Thanks, Tim
  17. WestCoast Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pro Form Racing "Pipes" = Eric Cook = Maico Only

All of the above in Ontario, California
  18. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you Tim. That clears it up.
    I need a custom pipe. Forward Motion is his shop I presume.
  19. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good call west coast.
    Yes Eric Cook = Maico only in Ontario.Ca.mega pipe builder.

Eric Gorr = forward motion worlds best 2 stroke cylinder porting guy.
  20. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    WOW!
    Some much cool stuff for Maico's, I never knew.
    I wish we (Husky riders) had all that bling and hard parts available to us.