SMR need urgent suspension dimensions (help!)

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by huskylove, Apr 2, 2014.

1. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Got my forks and shock apart but do not want to end up lowering the bike too much.

Can anyone with a SMR449/SMR511 measure the total length of the front forks with no weight on them From top of forks to the center of the axle would be best.

Then set the bike down and measure the same.

Also I need eye to eye of the rear shock unloaded.

Then I suppose set the bike down on its own weight and the same measurement.

I am trying to calculate how much exactly I should take out of my TE. And figure the ratio front to rear to match the SMR version.
  2. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Top of fork cap to centre of axle down the centre line of the forks is approximately 900mm, rear shock unloaded length 445mm.

Both measurements are approximate, and taken with the bike on a stand, wheels off the deck.

PS: Yes I've been quiet of late, haven't looked at the motard since I killed the torque limiter in January! It's up and running and I've got some special forks coming, will post an update when they arrive, in the mean time, Nuda time!

Any questions from anyone send me a PM, I'm more than happy to help out :)
  3. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I sent ya another pm. I think I need the "loaded" too. Like bike on the ground.

"Special forks" I bet they are marzocchi works huh?

I have a hypermotard so I have been riding that.....Would much rather have a nuda ;) Trade? :)
  4. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    With the bike sitting on the ground the measurements will depend on spring rate, preload, bike weight etc. so I'm not sure how relevant the measurements would be.

Also it's 245am!
  5. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Oh, well I didn't mean right now :) Why are you not on the nuda? GO FOR A RIDE! :D
  6. Roadhazardguy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM450r
    Other Motorcycles:
    89 ATK 406, 88 KDX 200
    35 3/8" for the front and 17 1/2" for the rear loaded then 35 9/16" and 17 3/4" unloaded. Also it's 56 5/8" axle to axle.
  7. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    THANK YOU! You guys rock! Now I can figure where abouts balance wise me TE with kyb stuff need to be. LETS DO THIS! :)
  8. Roadhazardguy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM450r
    Other Motorcycles:
    89 ATK 406, 88 KDX 200
    Yep no problem! I know you didn't ask for axle to axle but I thought I read the 08+ smr started coming with a 1" shorter swingarm so I figured I'd add that.
  9. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Well you have a sm45r0 which is a different chassis, but it gives me dimensions to compare to. Seems very close to the smr511 specs. Caimans dimensions will get me in the ballpark as he races his so it must be setup decently right? :D
  10. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Haven't raced since I got airborne and landed on my head a year ago, just track days for me lately!
  11. Roadhazardguy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM450r
    Other Motorcycles:
    89 ATK 406, 88 KDX 200
    The 450 chassis is different from the 511 or it's different from the newer 2014s?
  12. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Different from the 511. Totally different. They do use similar suspension components.
  13. Roadhazardguy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM450r
    Other Motorcycles:
    89 ATK 406, 88 KDX 200
    Hmm, didn't know that.
  14. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Looks like the rear shock is a measly 3mm shorter than the factory TE shock. The front gets a bunch taken out. So I suppose I will go down to SMR height then take an additional 1" out of the bike evenly.