SMR 630 suddenly hard to start

Discussion in '610/630' started by bby, Oct 6, 2014.

1. bby Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawasaki klx 250, er6n
    I just had the second hand SMR 630 with 1100 km. It has run through 2100 km now on my use. I face the problem that the engine does not want to start. Some kind like the lack of fuel supply. However the fuel pump has been examined and found that it runs well.

The problem started with the neutral indicator (green lamp) blinking. I thought it was caused by the less fuel at that time since the bike kept running after the yellow i.e. fuel indicator lamp was on. As the fuel was added the green lamp blinking stopped. Several next days the blinking started again (beside the yellow lamp), but it did not stop even the fuel was added and the yellow lamp turned off. Nothing unusual on the bike run. After several hours I parked the bike and when I wanted to start the engine, the bike did not want to start like the lack of fuel supply, and the neutral green lamp indicator kept blinking, and the radiator fan is running even the engine is cold.

At the next day I brought the bike to Husqvarna service center for observation. These are the list that has been run through :
    · Thermal switch was replaced so that the fan does not run anymore when the engine is cold
    · Fuel pump was tested and found it runs well
    · Every socket to the switches was cleaned up
    · Spark was replaced

After a while the engine can be started, but the green lamp (neutral indicator) blinking still happened. After a while again the blinking stopped and the bike was tested for 15 minutes on road running. It has looked back to normal. BUT apparently is NOT. As tomorrow morning the bike started cranky again of showing similar behave of does not want to start. Then the mechanic re-did the fuel pump check and cleaning the sockets. Then the engine can be started, after in stationary by several minutes, the engine was turned off. But it cannot be started again afterwards.

The error that has been captured in computer is : ” 000040 Intake Pressure Voltage Value Below rATT”

For Note: Bike are still All standard

Can anyone give me an advices as the mechanic has run out the clue and close to brains down. I'm not prepared for this pain
  2. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Some owners have had problems with water in the harness plug (socket) at the throttle body. Some also had water get in the throttle body plug itself and create no-start problems. The barometric pressure sensor (which supplies intake pressure voltage) is built into the throttle body.

3. bby Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawasaki klx 250, er6n
    All throttle body has also been dismantled and cleaned up by the mechanic as it was suspected for water trap inside. Does it mean a ‘TP’ sensor for the barometric sensor ?
    Herewith I attach the original print-out of the mapping result i.e. 2 errors which relates to intake pressure.
    One other case of being suspected is rollover or tilting or tipping over sensor under the seat. The bike did fall off twice but no crashing at all. It would just fall down during applying the side stand. Is it really case ?

Appreciated for all inputs

Attached Files:

4. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Your pressure sensor is not reporting a value so you have either a defective sensor or connection problem. Because it's internal to the throttle body your only option may be to purchase a new throttle body. I remember that some have replaced the TPS on the TB but don't recall anyone going after the pressure sensor. If it was me, I'd be looking around inside the TB for the sensor hoping it's a replaceable item and making sure it wasn't a corroded connection issue (a new TB is expensive).

5. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    It looks like the temp, pressure, and TPS are built into the same sensor. That would be good news because I remember somebody sourced a new Mikuni sensor cluster from a different bike. I think you have to buy a complete TB from Husky to get this sensor. Here's a good thread to read. http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/replacement-tps.34482/#post-328169

[IMG]

Look closely at the connection for the yellow/sky blue wire also.

[IMG]
  6. bby Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawasaki klx 250, er6n
    TPS itself looks a replaceable items. The Husq mechanic who handled my sms 630 has dismantled the TB and cleaned the TP sensor connections (But it did not heal the bike). Indeed from my search the TP is one package part with the TB and it’s expensive ….:banghead:
    Do you or anyone else have any experience on the tilting sensor under the seat. It shocked me too as this is only installed in SMS not in the TE
  7. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    You could order the bypass plug from the TE if you don't want to deal with the tilt sensor.

8. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    My bike had the the wiring loom corrode from the tps to the ecu.
    3 throttle bodies/tps units didn't fix it.
    Changed the sub loom and have done another 15000+km no problems.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/630-erratic-running.31303/#post-303413

If you are game pick some of the sheath off the wires coming out of the tps and check for black/corroded wire.See pics in post 14 from link above.
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had a problem after washing my bike and getting water in the TPS connector. From what I remember I received
    similar failures with the pressure sensor and the dreaded blinking neutral light. I was able to solve the issue by
    using a hair dryer aimed at the disconnected connector for 5 to 10 minutes until it had thoroughly dried. I then used dialectic grease
    around the external rubber seal of the connector to prevent further water intrusion before plugging the connector back in.
    Blazes likes this.
  10. bby Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawasaki klx 250, er6n
    Problem solved !!!.
    It is the ‘TP’ is the EVIL. In fact the bike just fired up in the first pressed start button. Got the TP borrowed from another bike in the shop. Now the next problem is, the TP can only be bought along with throttle body. Still try to justify with the dealer that it should covered in warranty considering that the bike just only 4 months of usage since the first buy from the dealer.
    Thanks for everyone’s input
    Wondering the causes : is the TP water resistant from washing or rain splashes ??

11. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Carefully dielectric grease the tps plug,dealer normally do once you have a tps water issue
    Have a look at which way they faced the plug ,it captures water slightly,sometimes the small seal can pinch and make a passage for the water.
    Tps can be brought seperately just not through husky,i got suzuki bandit one,someone else on here got a new one from a yamaha.
  12. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Will, do you have the part number for your Bandit part? I've searched a bunch and can't find a TPS number that's avail in the states.

13. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Inquiring minds want to know........
  14. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
  15. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I thought the TE510/450 also shared the same TPS plug.. Almost purchased (wiring harness) one off Ebay but was able to solve the issue

With my situation mentioned above I only put dialectic grease on the gasket seal to prevent water intrusion and not inside the connection pins.

BBY.. Have you tried a hair dryer blowing on the connector for 10 minutes at 6 inches? It will take some time to dry the connector. The heat should not be an issue since the exhaust header is nearby and emits significant heat. You can not clean the connector because female portion is "housed" and not accessible.

more info in this thread
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/replacement-tps.34482/
  16. bby Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawasaki klx 250, er6n
    No I haven’t. The bike was on the husky mechanic’s hand when she was downtime about a week. Indeed water droplets were found from the TP as reported, and the TP has also been dried as the mechanic said but don’t know on how they did it, but still didn’t work out the bike. Now I got temporary replacement from other bike from the dealer and my TP was sent back to the dealer awaiting the new one. I could have arguing with the dealer for making this replacement to fall under warranty or at least I’ll pay the TP only not the entire say $700 throttle body.

I will ask the dealer to do what you suggested for testing at their end on the bike that I got the TP replacement from.
    I’m wondering, many cases found in this forum relates to the TP failure (water at most), Is the factory aware of this? Or Has the factory done something to the consumer ? It looks to me it is a product defect as it has not been designed well for water intrusion
  17. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I confident that (with my issue) the problem did not exist in the throttle body and TPS but instead in the wiring harness connector that plugs into the TPS. From my experience it was the wiring harness connector which can collect water and "short circuit" the functionality of the TPS operation. That wiring harness connector is the part that became wet inside on mine and what I dried. It had nothing to do with the actual TPS attached to the throttle body. It was all related to the wiring harness connecter that plugged into the TPS. Take a close look at the connector that plugs into the TPS.