SMR 511 40 tooth sprocket

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by Sinkers_husky, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Sinkers_husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13' TE449, '11 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    GSXR600, Monster 696M, M109R
    Fellow Husky heroes,

I have bought a 40 tooth rear for my 2011 SMR 511 as I mainly race short road track (3.2km) and want a little more top end.

Just wondering if I need a shorter chain with the 40 tooth down from stock 43? I will be keeping stock front sprocket (best of my knowledge is a 15 tooth) at this stage and am not sure if the axle blocks will have sufficient scope to lengthen out?

Any insider knoweldge would be grateful.
  2. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Yes sir either buy a new shorter chain or as I did shorten the stock one. I'm running stock front and 40 rear on both my te449 and te511. image.jpg
  3. Sinkers_husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13' TE449, '11 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thats what I was thinking - do you happen to remember how many links are required on the new chain? I cant find for the life of me the number of links on the standard chain (and Im too lazy to sit there and count!)
  4. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lol sorry bro I wanna say 2 links is what I took out, but I'm not 100% on that
    Sinkers_husky likes this.
  5. Sinkers_husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13' TE449, '11 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    40 tooth Rear fits with standard length chain. Yes axle blocks sit approx 8-10mm out at the back but makes it a hell of a lot easier to swap back to 43 depending on track etc. As the 43 was centered in the swing arm I was thinking when time comes to replace chain get shorter link count and move 43 point fwd a little so 40 doesnt sit so far out. However, thinking extra 20-30mm wheelbase of 40 will be better for increased high speed stability on faster and more flowing circuits (when the 40 will be used). For the tighter hill climbs and kart tracks the 43 with a shorter wheel base will liven up the gearing and handling.
    Teambowles likes this.
  6. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511
    How wide are your tires? What is the widest size that will fit? Thanks.
  7. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rear tire is a 150 anything over that rubbed on chain, and front is a 120 and its close also. I went as wide as i could and believe me the chain is close but doesnt rub lol. Im not near bike right now if you need exact tires sizes I can get that later for ya, let me know. Tires are michelin pilot power, really sticky, we will see how long they last, bikes have about 900 miles on them now and tires still look new.
  8. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511
    Thanks Teambowles. I ordered my Warp 9 wheels yesterday. Got black rims, red hubs, black spokes, and red nipples. Also got tires, decided on Dunlop Road Smart 2 because of harder center compound (lots of freeway type riding). Rear tires is 150, front is 120. That's what Rob at Warp 9 recommended as well. So looking forward to having a whole new machine soon. Rear sprocket will be 44 teeth. Currently running 47 tooth, down from the stock 51. 47 is an improvement, but I think that 44 will be even better. I tend to run under 60 mpg most of the time, and don't have plans for racing. So this should work out nice for the daily driving and fun canyon rides now and then. Thanks again for your input. It's appreciated.
    Teambowles likes this.
  9. Sinkers_husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13' TE449, '11 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes 120 front and 150 rear
  10. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    I have a 160 on my 5" rim and it just touches the chain. Really need to offset the hoop a little.
    A 40T will be quite long on short tracks. I ran the 43 and found it too long. I'm now running a 46T. Could prob go a 48/50
  11. DErZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    511 SMR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha R1 5VY
    I had a 160 mutant on my 4.25 rear and there were no clearance issues.
  12. Sinkers_husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13' TE449, '11 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rear tyre widths depend on the construction. A larger rounded profile in a softer format has more sidewall flex and thus can encounter the chain a little more. I am only running stock size rear rim and will be looking to go to a 5 inch in the enar future as a better choice for slicks.
  13. Sinkers_husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13' TE449, '11 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Will see how it goes, have a private track session on Friday booked. I found with the stock 43T that she was losing steam around 140kmph (indicated on dash). Short circuit Im referring to a road race track of 2.8 km long. Slowest corner a 60 kmph hairpin.