1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Smart Carb

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Slakewell, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Slakewell Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420 auto
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM
    Has anyone fitted a smart carb to a Vintage Husky? I have an 84 400 I'm thinking of trying it on.
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  2. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Aside from the big bucks required, it looks like a great carb. Dirt Bike Mag article compared it to having fuel injection when considering extreme elevation changes while riding. Plus the ease of tuning is impressive. I recently spent over $100 on jets and several hours tuning a 38mm VM for a 73 450.

As far as vintage iron goes, I'd say that it will work fine on any of the reed valve bikes but I'm not sure on earlier non-reed rides. Heres what the mfg. web site said regarding application:

36, 38, and 40mm SC2 SmartCarbs are designed to replace conventional carburetors in 2-stroke applications from 125cc up to 500cc or more. They are a direct fit in applications originally equipped with Keihin PE, PJ, PWK and Mikuni VM and TM series carburetors of similar sizes.

If your bike came with the VM carb you should be okay, although I do understand your need for confirmation with a price tag like that.
  3. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR Silver Streak 500cc 1982.5
    I'm interested to hear also that has someone tried and how it performs vs. well tuned old school carb.