sm610ie not starting... the saga continues

Discussion in '610/630' started by whizzard, Jul 23, 2014.

1. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    ' 03 XR650R
    Never an end in sight to this tale of woe...

Clutch basket rebuilt with hardened cup washers- check!
    CAM chain replaced with DID SV equivalent - check!
    CAMshaft replaced -<crap> check!
    Rocker arm bearings and bushings replaced - <double crap> check!
    Buttoned all up - check!
    Will it start... NO!
    Tear it all down again and triple check timing several ways, electrical connections, spark, CDi resistances, new plug, check electrical connections, redone valves twice as a result, no ECU faults, battery fully charged and verified, fuses all good, visually inspected stator wires - check

But it does not start. The engine turns over and I can smell fuel after a bit of cranking, but it does not ignite no matter what.

Anyone have any ideas? It was running fine until I tore it down to replace the CAM shaft and rebuild the rocker arms now no go... <sniff sniff>

I love you Husky, why won't you go?
  2. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
  3. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Does it have spark?
  4. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    ' 03 XR650R
    Yes it does. When I pull the plug and ground it there is spark. Though given the lack of starting I am seriously doubting the quality of the spark as everything else seems to be working.

I should have highlighted that in the litany of things I have checked.
  5. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    ' 03 XR650R
    I didn't check the flywheel key to see if that is bent or sheared and will do so tonight. WIll also try another plug just in case.
  6. speedydave Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 610 SM
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thruxton
    Are you sure the timing is right? Could the cam be off a few teeth or more?
    You need air/fuel, compression, and spark. If you spray some ether and it kicks over or starts you know it is fuel, if not it is either spark or compression. Could it be the fuel pump? Is there gas in it?
    Can you turn it over by hand or will it roll over if you push it in first gear? (check compression)
    I hope you get it figured out. Is there a decompression release somewhere that could be stuck or open?
    Sorry if my answers are obvious.
  7. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    ' 03 XR650R
    Tested different plugs and same looking spark from both.

Compression is good as always, have to put it in 6th to get it to get it to go by hand turning.

Got no ether, but the plug is definitely getting wet with fuel after cranking.

Also tried starting without the temp sensor plugged in (though it behaves as it should).

Also tested the CPS and it read the corrrect resistance.

Definitely got air, took the filter off and it's sucking when cranking over.

Sighhhhh. The husky is killing me slowly day by day.
  8. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    You can smell fuel but have you checked it's getting fuel ?
    Spray in some fuel and then crank it over, if It had fuel and spark was weak, it'd backfire a bit .
  9. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow! Feeling your pain.

Myself, at this point I'd do a compression check. You may have air flowing but only get 30psi cranking compression.

To eliminate bad fuel/clogged injector/weak fuel pump I'd try starter fluid with a fresh spark plug. Those seem unlikely problems if bike was running fine before teardown but it's a simple test.

I think I've read of a few having trouble with the wire from coil to plug, maybe when you have it out testing spark it's making connection and loosing it when reassembled.

10. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    ' 03 XR650R
    I will give the starter fluid thing a check and try to get ahold of a compression tester as well.

Likely going to pull the flywheel today to see how the key looks.

Yes, it is very odd that there is not more backfiring as the plug is wet with petrol after a bit of cranking. A concern is flooding the bike, as it was very sensitive to it before, but if I try cranking it over with full throttle to clear it it makes no difference. Likewise letting it sit all night makes no difference.

As for the spark re-assembly issue, seem sunlikely as I am having to do all this with the fuel tank in place mostly the way it would sit on the bike.

I have not pulled the throttle body yet to have a good look at the injector.

I have also had it suggested that I try heating the head to get it up above the quite chilly temps here.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions.
  11. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    ' 03 XR650R
    Finally got a compression tester on the bike and guess what... no compression! There was some pressure in the tester, but not enough to register.

That all points to me having screwed up the CAMshaft installation. Though raises some serious questions as to how...

I only hope it is something obvious and I can just slap my forehead for being an idiot!

We will see what is up tonight.
  12. madart Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    Sorry to hijack but did you use did sca-0412A sv chain?
  13. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    ' 03 XR650R
    No go same thing. The CAMshaft was rotated so that it was on the other stroke and same symptoms cranks over, plenty of spark, wet plug, no compression registered.

Bugger... looks like time to take it to the dealer. As they say in the County: "Shit-a-cat's-ass!"
  14. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Are you sure that tha valves clearances are correct? Maybe some of the valves remains open also during the compression stroke.
  15. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    If you can do a leak down test you can determine where the air is going.

16. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    ' 03 XR650R
    Cobbled together a leak down tester with a lot of help and lo and behold, the exhaust valves leaked like a bastid!

Took out the valves (intake too just in case) and the exhaust ones definitely have some minor pitting, lots of carbon and not seating properly. Tomorrow begins the cleaning and see if they I can lap them resurrect them.

So it is good to find the issue, puzzling how it happened and SUCKS MAJOR BALLS, but hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'll snap pics tomorrow before cleaning everything and post when I can.

Thanks for all the support and suggestions.

-Whiz
  17. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    ' 03 XR650R
    Hi guys, apologies for the delay in pics... time too short.

So the valves are reground and cleaned up and look good... but there was also odd corrosion in the head's coolant gallery on the exhaust side. It was evidently there for a long time as the head gasket put on at 20k kms showed an impression of it.

Unfortunately, like a bad tooth cavity, the corrosion has penetrated into the compression mating area of the head gasket!!! Leading theory is that bike was over heating or something and steam flashing reoded it away. The port for the exhast gallery coolant was VERY small too.

So now the head is at a cylinder head shop getting tigged and re-planed. New head gasket on the way.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
  18. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    ' 03 XR650R
    So now the head was fixed, TIGed and planed, the valves ground and everything looked hunky dory. Put it all back together nice and thorough. Tried to fire it up tonight and... drum roll... SAME GODDAMN THING!! The F*****G bastard doesn't start!

Crap, I had forgotten to check the key on the flywheel (though my flywheel looks very different from the one in the manual). Tore off the case covers and pulled the flywheel... No shearing, no nothing looks just the way it always has (i.e.- when it was last running.

WTF !!! I give up. I'm trailering it down to a husky shop. There's nothing else I can do at home besides go over everything again.:banghead:

Whats worse, I noticed that the little notch that fits over the oil pump is missing a chunk. Looks like that got rooted at some point too. :mad:

Only frustration. Crap, just a minute and I will dig up some pics and they will be loosely chronological.
  19. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    ' 03 XR650R
    DSCN9610.JPG DSCN9598.JPG

Attached Files:

20. whizzard Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM610ie