SM610 Throttle Issues?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Derek Risch, May 6, 2017.

1. Derek Risch Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650, Ninja250
    Hi all,

So about a week ago I was riding my sm610 down the street and all of sudden the bike started bogging with any throttle. Coincidentally, the brackets on my exhaust had vibrated off so I was thinking it had something to do with the exhaust seal and extra air slipping in making the bike bog and die when I give it throttle. The bike starts up perfect with choke and idles with choke but then kind of sputters and eventually dies without choke. I checked if there were any exhaust leaks coming from the exhaust while the bike was idling and other than a very small leak from one of the heat shield mounts (could that be enough of a leak to cause complete loss in throttle?). I pulled the carb off and can't find anything wrong there either besides the throttle diaphragm a little bit corroded but I don't think that would be the problem (could be completely wrong about this)? However, I only bought this bike a couple months ago and this was my first time taking the carb off so I am not 100% sure everything is there.

Stuck on this one :excuseme: any help with where to look would be greatly appreciated. Much Aloha

Currently putting high temp silicone on all exhaust/header connections will update after it cures.
    David_S likes this.
  2. Derek Risch Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650, Ninja250
    Just ordered a new diaphragm. Thinking that could be the problem waiting to install. Don't need to publicly display this post I don't think. Problem should be solved with new diaphragm fingers crossed
  3. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Exhaust leaks are not your problem. Sounds like a fuel delivery problem (kinked fuel line, clogged filter, etc) or maybe bad gas, had you fueled up recently? Pictures of your throttle slide corrosion?

4. Derek Risch Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650, Ninja250
    Thanks for the replying. Here's a pic of the diaphragm definitely had better days. I am thinking this is the source of the problem? New diaphragm on its way will know in a day or two

Attached Files:

5. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I would say that you are on the right track, would be nice to disassemble and fully clean carb as well.
    David_S likes this.
  6. Derek Risch Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650, Ninja250
    Okay so I put in the new diaphragm last week and the bike is still having the same issues with the throttle. As this is the first time I have taken the carb off and its hard to find a good diagram of it online let me know if anything sticks out at you in the pictures below. I believe one of my overflow lines is missing but that shouldn't cause any problems?? Also, the plug on the bottom of the carb is a little eaten away (holes in the pic) maybe due to the previous owner letting the bike sit for awhile? More experienced eyes than my own would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

7. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Hard to tell from the pic, but your slow jet in the carb looks pretty cruddy. That would account for poor idle w/o choke. I'd pull both jets, clean them, and shoot carb cleaner thru all the passages. It could be a piece of crud dislodged and came to rest blocking something.

When in doubt, I order new slow jets. I've seen a lot of starting/driveability issues go away.

8. Derek Risch Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650, Ninja250
    So while my bike is just sitting I've decided to check up on a couple of things since it seems the previous owner hadn't done much maintenance. I checked the cam chain tensioner and it's all the way stretched out to like 15 clicks. I have been reading on the forums about stretched cam chains messing up the reed valve but since mine is far more stretched than any of the posts I've read what could be the damage and could that be a reason for my throttle issues? Look's like I am facing an issue far worse than gunked/moody carb.

Appreciate all the feedback

Attached Files: