SM610 fork fix

Discussion in '610/630' started by Spice Weasel, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Ive never been happy with the standard fork setup and lack of compression adjustment and decided i had to attempt to do something about it.
    I got some CR125 Marzocchis and swapped the springs, preload tubes and compression adjusters complete with shim stacks, direct swap. Replaced the oil with Motul 5w, 120mm air gap, takes just over 1 litre.
    I havent rode it yet to start fiddling with set up, but first impressions are good just bouncing it on the spot, might end up changing preload and air gap.
    The SM springs felt really hard.

The top forks are CR125 Marzocchis, the bottom ones are from my bike.
    [IMG]

The top spring is from the CR
    Compression adjuster on the left is from CR
    [IMG]

The difference in length, long one is from CR
    [IMG]

Preload tubes, short one is from CR
    [IMG]

Damping rods, long one from CR
    [IMG]

compression adjusters, Top is from CR
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I didnt get the chance to make any measurements after finishing the work and cleaning up.
    Static sag with the short CR preload spacers was 50mm, so i changed to the longer ones and sag is now 20mm, im happy with that.
    Rebound is set as recommended by the manual -12 clicks from closed
    I turned the compression adjusters all the way in to the first click, i can put heavier oil in if i need to.
    There really is a noticeable difference between having the compression adjusters fully open and closed.
    These bikes should have came with them from the factory.
    The forks have 1 ring showing above the top yoke.
  3. grinder96 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR800, XR80
    waiting for test ride results
  4. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Test ride results are good
    Adjustments made are +2 clicks rebound and -2 compression
    It isnt hard hitting on small bumps and holes anymore, but doesnt dive too much when braking.
    The forks feel like they match the shock better
  5. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    More adjustments made -
    Air gap is now 100mm and +1 click compression.
    2 1/4 inches of travel left before bottoming out.
  6. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The SM runs a shorter travel package as well as a stiffer spring package for hitting stuff at speed, just a few things for consideration. You would probably get a boost in performance from just the oil change and heights along with the compressionn adjusters. The softer springs would be a benefit if you are real light though.
  7. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I weigh 71kg without kit.
    The standard setup would probably be good if you ride on a go-kart track, but i ride on rough, poorly maintained roads, like the road through Rothbury.
    I was having a horrible time with the forks as standard, they were just far too hard, i wasnt using much of the available travel.
    The fork length is the same, i changed the springs, compression shim stacks with adjusters and oil with air gap now as recommended by owners manual.
    Im sure the forks were a compromise for riding with a pillion, my pillion pegs are in a box in the loft.
    I can go faster now without feeling like im getting beat up.
  8. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would say you are light as huskys usually come sprung for a rider around 200 lbs from what I have seen over the years. You might also consider a softer rear spring since you are not using the passanger pegs the back end would be stiffer than the front for those especially.
  9. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Well im back to messing with the forks....
    Its a chicken & egg thing, because i set the forks up softer i was able to ride harder & have been over some roads with more uneven surfaces, that, combined with the fact ive gained weight (my leathers still fit, just) & the set up was was close to the upper end of compression adjustment, i found i was getting close to the end of travel last year without much scope for adjustment left.
    Ive put the SM forks back to standard internals & swapped the SM fork compression shim stacks to the CR forks compression adjusters, so standard SM forks with CR forks compression adjusters now. Fork oil is still Motul 5w because i had enough for an oil change, air gap is 100mm
    Will have to wait for a few weeks when i start riding again before i start messing with settings & see how much travel i will use & if im happy with them.
    Im also making an effort to lose some weight, or at least get a bit fitter
  10. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I set the compression & rebound to standard, as per manual -12 clicks from closed went for a couple of runs out over some of the fastest but rough/uneven roads i use & i still have just over 3 1/2 inches of travel left. Static sag is 35mm
    I think i will do some more riding to gain a better idea of what i need before making further adjustments, but i dont think its far off.
    Im also being more active, getting fitter & a bit slimmer, lost about a stone, good way of getting the bike to perform better without costing anything, banish the belly.
    Having compression adjustment makes a massive difference.