SM610 EFI 2008 no spark - bad ECU ?

Discussion in '610/630' started by CapitanoFL, May 24, 2020.

1. CapitanoFL Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello everyone,

I have finally picked up my 2008 SM610 8000miles project after sitting in garage for four years :eek:
    Bike primes fuel pump correctly and cranks no problem but no spark.
    No flashing neutral on ODO (possible bad ECU sign)

Replaced:
    spark plug and boot + coil ( I had new parts on hand)
    battery
    Checked:
    Fuses
    Relays

I reconnected original O2 sensor in place of PU plug.
    Still no spark:confused: Thought SM has two rollover sensors -> iBeat it is but..

Ordered VAG cable meanwhile replaced TCC and all fluids I had waiting on shelf.

I tried establishing iBeat connection with VAG OBD and 2 home made cable using virtual XP and physical XP (desperate). I cannot connect to ECU.

My ECU has 8000A6742 ECU180-A ECU180-A001A numbers on label replacement part for US model show: 8H00B1867 :confused:

Would fuel pump primed and starter still engaging if ECU was faulty ?
  2. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Doubt it is the module, it was the pick up coil on mine. No signal to the module and coil. Mine is a 630 though.
    CapitanoFL likes this.
  3. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    I suggest you measure out the pick up coil. It is fairly easy task, the manual should help you.
    CapitanoFL likes this.
  4. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    I believe radmann10 had a tilt sensor failure on his SM630 a couple years ago.

5. CapitanoFL Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you for pointing it out Caboose!
    I got no 100 Ohms resistance on two-pin connector as per manual.

I think I am finally on right path :D
    THANK YOU!
  6. CapitanoFL Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have you found just pick up coil part or you replaced stator and coil altogether ?
  7. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    Look for pick up coil with a 30mm hole spacing and around 100 Ohm resistance. I used this: Electrex World P71
    (Some soldering is required of course :))
    CapitanoFL likes this.
  8. CapitanoFL Husqvarna
    AA Class

9. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I spliced one in. Simple enough procedure.
  10. CapitanoFL Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just did it. What a PITA to fit it in! Had to cut and shave original brass bracket too. Next time I would go with 30mm one $20 difference was bot worth the hassle.
    Anyway it is in and readings on pick up coil seem to be okay. Not perfect 100 Ohms.. ~125Ohms but..
    I got nice blue sparky- Finally! :)

The problem bike still does not start.

Pulled and changed spark plugs few times, I have new iridium crx8 and and older crx9. Older spark plug gap is set manual specs, both have good spark.
    Pulled them out three times, there is gas on spark plug but initially it was covered with lotsa dirt, cleaned and repeated few times. I let it crank for a while with spark plug out to blow dirt from fuel system. Now spark plugs are coming out much cleaner.. probably at acceptable level.
    This morning I put a gallon of 93 octane gas the tank was almost empty for last 3years..

Ideas please, anything. I am dying to ride again!

Attached Files:

11. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Not same bike but a friend had bought an older kx250 that didn’t start . Come to find out previous owner was having ignition problems . Was no stark but that was easy , put on new plug cap but prev owner had someone else trying to repair the bike and that person had wired in a new ignition pick up cool . We did get it started the way prev owner had it wired but it was a bear to kick start . That bike broke 3 kick start shafts trying to get it started plus when it did run it wouldn’t rev out at all . Once I tried reversing the pick up leads it now started much easier and ran like a beast . Both wires on the pick up were identical and could not see a difference . This may not be your problem but is something to think about .